1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are the versions of the alien films in the quadrilogy box set better or not

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by 7 of 9, Nov 26, 2003.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont kow if any one has got thier copys of the alien quadrilogy yet but if so:

a/v wise are the 2-disc versions of the alien films better or not, as i have read reviews on the net some say they are better others say they are the same and others say they they are worse.

thanks from 7of 9

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In one word Alien and Aliens look much better than previous editions, can't comment on last 2 as i never owned them, its fabulous boxset.

Hmmmm wait that isnt one word :eek:

3. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Aliens is the same, horrible, grain-o-vision version of the special edition as it's always been -- didn't notice any improved PQ at all:

I know it can look better than this cos I've seen the (admittedly theatrical) version on digital tv and it looked excellent -- the dvd seems to be taken from the same horrible old grainy master used for the special edition since the vhs and laserdisc editions.

if this is what Cameron wants it to look like then he sucks.

regards,
    anephric

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree i own Aliens and it looks sharper and more detailed than the old version.

5. sonny

sonny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have seen several versions of Aliens and for such a landmark film, the picture really is one of worst committed to dvd, despite all the "taken from high def master" stuff.
    I have the Quad on order and I will be very surprised if it is any better this time around.

6. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    It ain't, believe me. Same horrible grrainy transfer as the laserdisc version.

All you can do is turn the noise reduction up to "High" and the sharpness down loooooooowwwwww....

There IS a decent digital transfer of the theatrical cut, cos I've seen it on digital tv and it looked fab: no grain, no nothin'. It's probably because the special edition only exists on digital video master (cos that's how Cameron edited it together) so all subsequent versions have come from that....

and they stink up the place.

Oh well...:rolleyes:

regards,
    anephric

7. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In terms of content on the extended editions

Alien - slightly poorer

Aliens - Much better but this version has been widely available for a long time

Alien3 - some nice extra material especially the begining but the sound and CGI are unfinished. 3 terrible major changes spoil the film

Alien4 - The different start is awful and the additional scenes to the ending are a complete joke

8. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So you obviously like it Bobbles !

9. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Reviews of the Alien Quadrilogy should be appearing on this site soon

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Agree with Bobbies. The new opening for "Alien Resurrection" is a pointless exercise. The original opening is far superior. Rest of the changes are minimal. As Jeunet says in his intro to the extended version, this is not a director's cut, the director's cut was the version you saw in the cinema.

Likewise Alien does not benefit from the new footage. Particularly detrimental to the tension of the ending is the added "coccoon" sequence. Scott's reasons for removing it back in '79 were bang on the money, and the only reason this version was created was as a marketing exercise. A bit like "The Exorcist: The Version You Have Never Seen" totally pointless, unsubtle and detrimental to a classic original.

On the plus side, "Alien" has never looked or sounded better. "...Resurrection" is about on a par video wise with the original but now with DTS sound. Not watched 2 & 3 yet, but all of the extras I have watched so far for all four films are superb. Well worth replacing the old box set for.

11. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Had a quick 10 Min spin of Alien & Aliens.

Totally agree that Alien looks & sounds great & in particular compared to the previous quality on R1 that I had.
    Top marks from what is now a old film & looks brand new imho.

Have to say though that Aliens was a major dissapointment !
    I agree that it is slightly better than the previous R1 version but still way down on what I would have expected & hoped for .

I saw the original review of the R1 set & that seems to be , by & large , on the money.
    However PQ was scored as B+ from memory ?
    Personally I would class it as C + & that's being generous !
    Even the sound did not seen to be particulary active on the surrounds but in fairness only spun it for 10 mins.

What was Cameron thinking about saying he was happy with PQ ?

Another upgraded version in 18 months ?