1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the Proac Hexas as good as it gets for smaller fronts?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jrpavel, Jun 2, 2004.

1. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have three ProAc Hexa speakers in front (in the top shelf of an AV rack under the plasma), a couple of M&K SS-150THX tripoles at the back and a Velodyne DD12 subwoofer driven by a Yamaha DSP-Z9 in a 11ft x 19ft x 8ft high room.

The issue is the fronts: the sound can be pretty good on small-scale jazz and even on SACD or film orchestral music. (The sub and rears makes a big difference, of course, as trying to play Wagner CDs without PL IIx reveals.)

For movies there is, however, what I can only describe as a lack of excitement. I tried the M&K S-150THX fronts which were indeed what I call exciting -- in your face, wide dynamic range, I suppose, being part of it -- but apart from being too large for my living space, they sounded rather messy, and voices were weedy and unnatural in the small wall-carpeted demo room where I heard them: Samuel Jackson sounded very thin (if perfectly intelligible in XXX). I did not even bother trying them for music.

The terribly expensive Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk IIIs are the right size (my shelf under the plasma is about 12.5" high) but they seeem to need stands, which I would prefer to avoid, and the "cool and dry" description on various review sites suggests that they might be too laid back for movie excitement.

ProAc themselves make a Tablette Reference 8 +/- Signature or even a Response 1SC. I listened to the Tablette Reference 8 + CC1, but they were pretty polite and not really that much of a step up from the Hexas (to my ears).

I have looked at the ATC C1 system (SCM7, etc) but it only goes down to 100Hz and I need the speakers to go down to THX's 80Hz to that they integrate properly with the rears.

The Dyanaudio 42s get equivocal reviews.

Are the Proac Hexas as good as it gets for smaller fronts?

Am I on a wild goose chase (i.e. do I need to remove one or more of the constraints that I have imposed to get more of a movie thrill (at low volumes))? Are all small monitors limited in dynamic range or is there a small, house-friendly speaker that is good for complex orchestral music as well as having the clarity and oomph that suits movies?

PS: I hate sibilent voices...

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with Nobber - these are brilliant little speakers that I would have bought myself if I hadn't gone down the M&K route instead.

4. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks these do indeed look good and even better, they're made in Scotland :clap: .

They seem to be in the ProAc / BBC monitor school: at that price are they really more dynamic than the Acoustic Energy AE1 or the ProAC Tablette Reference 8 Signatures or even 1SC + CC1, with which they are competing? If BBC monitor type speakers are considered to be the right line of country, what about the Bluenote A3, which won one of the BBC loudspeaker comparisons in a recent mag (ProAc refused to participate)?

Lateral thought: what diffence would replacing the Hexa centre with the CC1 make?

Unfortunately the Leemas don't seem to have a distributor in London which seems to rule them out of contention.

5. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I demo'd the Hexa's a while ago, and like you, found them lacking when needed.

On the same receiver/dvd combo (HK 8500+DVD 25) we swapped to a pair of Kef Q1's up front, and WOW what a difference. Things came to life a great deal.

Fish

6. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Q1s sound interesting. Unfortunately they break my 12.5" (ideally 9.5") height limit for the AV shelf under the plasma. :(

7. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can lay these on their sides without changing the sound they produce.

Fish

8. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2x35cm + 43cm (for a Q6c centre) is about 10cm over the width of my shelf :suicide: This is frustrating. The price would have been very acceptable.

9. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  10. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have a look at the PMC DB-1; I also see that there is a Kef Q compact. There's not a lot about either on the net, on a quick scan.

11. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I found the Q Compact very lite on the noise they made! I then changed them for the Q1's and loved them after about 15 hours playing music.

I have 2 sets of DB1's sitting in the loft awaiting the completion of the HC, which is a long way off at present. :( So sadly cannot comment of them yet, but they did sound good in a large demo room, so should sound even better in the correct size room.

Fish

12. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone compared Proac Response 1SC to the Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature?

They are both slightly bigger than I would prefer, but how do they rate?

The 1SC seems to be of a previous generation, so does it still keep up with the Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature?

Stands are recommended by Proac for the 1SC, whereas the Tablette Reference 8 Signature is either stand or shelf mountable. What would I lose if I mounted the 1SC on a shelf?

13. westsounds

westsounds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hexa's are probably one of the best satellite speakers ever. The reference 8 signatures are even better but these are stand mount and not really a wall mount speaker, they could be wall mounted but I would stick to the hexa. The 8 sigs are larger so they have more bass but they are not really exciting unless the recording is that is. They are very nutaral and are accurate to essence of the recording as are the hex sat, the midrange is stunning on the ref 8 signature. apart from fact that the hexas have no real bass I actually prefer both these speakers to the proac 1sc.

I once upgraded a set of ref 8 sigs for a set of 1sc's and ending up selling them and going back to the ref 8 sig. I wouldn't recommend the ref8 or the 1sc for a satellite, they are real audiophile speakers and really deserve to be set up as such on decent stands. The hexa may not sound that exciting on a short demo but when it comes to finesse and quality they are amazing speakers and are extremely hard to beat as small ( as small as you should go really) satellites.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010