Are the New HITACHI plasmas any good?

Big thanks to all those who've been kind enough to offer me advice over the previous couple of months- Maw, Elvis, Liam, Dr Jon etc etc..

Ordered my 42pd5200 from Crampton and Moore for £2400- I know I could have got it slightly cheaper but I trust these guys- would definately recommend. Ordered Tuesday- recieved 48 hours later. Nice.

Pleased to report that to my eyes the PQ is just stunning. I've not even spun a dvd yet, only freeview (Pioneer) but I'm dead chuffed with the picture- definately an improvement on the old hitachi panel and, I think, better than the pannys. I would certainly advise anyone whose considering getting a plasma to get one of these. Great picture, loads of inputs, looks fantastic, relatively cheap.. even the missus is happy. (And, thank god, mine doesn't buzz.. yet!)

Mounted the panel on my timber stud wall. Bracket is fixed to just a single vertical stud with 2 x 2" size 12 wood screws at the top and bottom. (Had to drill a couple of extra holes in the bracket) At each side of the bracket I just used several plasterboard toggle fixings. Got everything I needed from B&Q. **** easy in the end. Did some pull-ups to check the mount would take the weight and realised how unfit I've become after I collapsed in a heap after 4. Dropped the cables in the cavity- no horizontal studs- result!

Still no DVD player or surround sound yet.. still thinking over my options.. currently looking at in-wall speakers. this AV stuff just goes on and on.. anyone got a cure??

For anyone thats interseted I've attached a pic of the end result of MONTHS of trawling through websites, forums and magzines and generaly becoming a social recluse in pursuit of a nice big telly, just in time for the footy. Come on England!

Cheers all and good luck.

Attachments

• Plasma1.JPG
    Plasma1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 132
the new hitachi is possibly the best picture i have seen . house of fraser had sky on at the time didnt think i would say this but it looked as good as crt .
dont get side tracked with panasonic there are better screens out their inclunding the pio 434.

Hi Scooby,

Nice Plasma. How do i contact your suppliers? How did you get rid of all those wires?

Did it come with the table top stand and the wall brackets?

I want to order one so please advise?.

I think it is HD compatible but i thought one could only do this through a DVI input i have a feeling this plasma only has a DVI PC input?

Please confirm ?

I hope you have many yrs of fun

Azz

Go to www.pricerunner.co.uk and search for a 42pd5200. Crampton & Moore should appear fairly near the cheap end! I've had no problems yet.. but I suppose the real test is how they respond if/when a fault develops with the screen!

Paid £2400 for the screen (includes table top stand and free DVD player)
£100 for the bracket
£35 delivery.

Regarding the DVI input, as far as I'm aware it will accept a video signal from a compatible DVD player.

My wall is hollow, so after cut a hole top and bottom I could just drop the cables.

Nexnix have it as a price match product at £2434.95 including a free DVE set up disk, and the free portable DVD player.

They get very good reviews on here.

The following is about the PD5200, not the PD5300

It's got 2 options for DVI. One is DVI-PC and the other is DVI-STP (or similar, don't know what it's for though). I've used the DVI-PC, but I don't have a DVD player with a DVI output.

I think (not sure) that AV1 component takes Hi-Def, because there is an option for whether it takes standard signals or HDTV. <--- You'd better check this before buying though.

I would say that picture quality is far better than the PD3000, it gives a more 3D effect, (on Star Trek Nemesis and have I got news for you, at least), the colours seem better (don't know meny technical words!) and compared to the PD3000 (or PD5300) you can adjust contrast, brightness seperately for each input.

I bought mine from PRC Direct, I'm not a person for compliments, but the only bad points were: Delivery company wouldn't take it up more than one flight of stairs (unlike JL!) and I had to help carry it even thought there were 2 of them, and the other thing is that I still havn't received a receipt for it yet, 2 weeks after it arrived! Therefore I can't tell you about the free DVD player.

All in all, I would buy another 42PD5200 and I would use PRC Direct again.

Neither have I recieved my DVD player yet since I require the serial number off the back of the telly for the form.

I should have thought of making a note of said number before bolting the thing to the wall.

PRC Direct have run out of the vouchers at the moment. So i've got to wait for them to get them from Hitachi before they can send me one!

Because it's a time limited offer I'd consider picking up a blank form from your local JL or Comet. You'll then need to get PRC to stamp it before you send it to Hitachi.

My free portable DVD player arrived within a week of me sending the form away. It has a couple of nice touches such as two headphone sockets and being supplied with a car cigarette lighter adapter. Unfortunately it also has a relatively large battery that sticks out the back 5 cms. According to the spec the battery life is 150 minutes with the screen on but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Anyone able to tell me exactly where on the back of the screen is the serial number written. I'm going to attempt to read the serial number without taking the thing off the wall- probably in a process involving a small mirror, a stick and a length of sellotape.

If only I had a key-hole surgery camera knocking about.

It's on the white part of the main sticker (horizontally centred, about 1/3rd down from the top) underneath the barcodes, hope that helps :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom