1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the New HITACHI plasmas any good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by scoooby, May 20, 2004.

1. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm just about to spend out a small fortuner on a 42pd5200. (Our flat is finaly finished and we'll be in next week- at last!)

We'll be watching TV through freeview and DVD through prog scan component.

I can't afford nearly four grand for the Pioneer and the new panasonic is a bit to bulky for wall mounting.. so I decided on the Hitachi.

I geuss I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance before I blow next years beer money.

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I would consider the Panasonic plasma TVs as bulky, but the Panasonic monitors (or Fujitsu VHA series) are a favorite on these forums....

3. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you should consider a Panasonic PW6, along with the component input board (to connect your dvd) and a JS RGB to Plasma VGA Convertor (to connect your freeview box to the VGA socket) which gives a better quality sharper image than using a scart input board in this model.

Check out the special offers section, you can get set up for under £2500, or a little more if you prefer the silver version :)

Wazy

4. Ronaldm

Ronaldm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really pleased with my Hitach 42PD5300. The Pannys were certainly on my shortlist, but in the end I decided I preferred the Hitachi picture overall.

5. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, same here very pleased with my 42PD5300. FYI I bought though John Lewis to get the 5 year warranty at £2699 on a price match with eltro saver. Search my previous post for more info.

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the Hitachi is a progressive scan screen. It's an ALiS screen isn't it? Earlier models certainly were.

7. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If anything the PD5200 is better than the PD5300. The PD5200 has redesigned menu's, much more fiddling options, an extra conponent input, DVI input and (i think) more audio inputs.
    The PD5300 has the same AV box that comes with the old PD3000, so it has the old menu system. The only advantage of it that I can see is 2 extra scart sockets. Is that really worth the extra money? You can get a scart switcher for cheap!

8. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    would agree with the Fujitsu statement.

Give these guys a call for some decent advice to narrow down your choices.

/www.progressive-av.com

9. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just though I should re-iterate my earlier post. Scoooby says he has a prog scan DVD player, I'm not saying it won't work with the Hitachi screens, but they are not progressive devices, they are interlaced displays, so I wouldn't expect the same level of quality (from a prog scan DVD player) as you would get with some of the other screens mentioned here. The question is; How important is prog scan to you?

Before I get flamed :) I would say that in all other repects I'm sure the Hitachi is a fine screen. As long as it's an improvement on the flawed 3000 series.

10. hon750321

hon750321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a pd5200 and it has a buzzing noise which gets louder the longer it is on . I sit 8 feet from the plasma and when the sound is swithced off or a quite part od a dvd or television you can hear is quite plainly. My old pd3000 semed a lot quiter . Is it standard on the pd5200 or is it faulty its driving me mad.

11. Ronaldm

Ronaldm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me there are a couple of advantages that the PD5300 has over the PD5200. One is that an external AV box makes it easier if the plasma is being wall mounted. You can easily plug in a camera or playstaion or add a new piece of kit without routing new cables behind walls.

The other reason is that because JL sell the PD5300 you can get a free 5 year warranty.

12. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Concerning the progressive scan question, the Hitachi takes in interlaced signals, deinterlaces them internally, scales the picture up to 1024 lines and reinterlaces it again for display.

PAL and NTSC progressive scan feeds work happily with the Hitachi and because they are already deinterlaced, bypass the internal deinterlacer before scaling. The question is, which has the better descaling, the Hitachi tv or your DVD player. I have viewed interlaced and PS output from a Harman Kardon DVD22 and a Arcam DV88+. I could not see much difference between the Hitachi deinterlacing and that of the HK DVD22 but the Arcam was undoubtedly better, much more detail, less jaggies. I think that the Hitachi deinterlacing is pretty good, certainly good enough for Freeview or Sky, but there is a definite improvement to be had with a top end DVD player running progressive scan. Just because a display uses interlacing doesn't mean that its PQ is poor, and every display has it's weaknesses, I haven't found many with the Hitachi.

P.S. I went for the Hitachi originally because I thought that it had a better picture under most conditions than the panny. :D

13. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 5300 cannot deal with high def component input, while oddly enough the 5200 can. Very strange. For that reason when I get around to buying a plasma later on in the year i think that it will be the 5200.
    As long as they fix the transformer buzz problem.

14. vincentsdv

vincentsdv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5200 is hdcp compliant.
    I'm debating between 42 or 37.
    Did anyone make a comparision ?

15. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mrs Brethy here,we've had the 42pd5000 since 2/04 and have had no problems with buzzing at all, in fact it's virtually silent and the only way you can hear any noise is to turn the sound off and put your ear to the plasma. I think we must of just been lucky but I have to say I'm still in love with my plasma :D

16. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Was looking at a 5300 today in JL on Oxford St, definitely couldn't hear any buz even close up and they had the sound muted.

It was showing ITV at the time through a straight RF feed, picture looked excellent to my eyes.

17. vincentsdv

vincentsdv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you see any 37" near by ?

18. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, but they had the 32" I believe. Don't think the 37" versions out yet.

19. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +767
    This months Home cinima Choice mag has a review of a new Hitachi 42 " Plasma which got great reviews. Hitachi have made some very good plasma sets.

20. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 42PD5100 from Richer Sounds ten days ago. It buzzes - I can hear it over dialogue at 10 feet away. I spoken to RS and they're saying they might be able to swap it for a new one. Next time I speak to them, I'm going to insist.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the picture quality. I feed it Sky+ in RGB through a good quality scart, but it has trouble with flesh tones. This is both showing noticeable colour banding when the picture is still (sometimes) and when the picture is moving seeing red and green tinges (surprisingly often). I've played with most of the picture settings, and it has no effect. I haven't played with the very detailed colour settings at the end of the picture settings menu because I don't understand them.

You see the red/green tinges most often with TV programmes (as opposed to films) I think because you get a lot more close ups. DIY programmes are particularly bad because they have lots of panning around rooms!

Can anyone state categorically that their screen doesn't do this? Did you tweak the settings to remove the effect, and if so how?

For the most part, I should say, the picture is excellent - but it's not perfect, and sometimes obviously so.

peejay

21. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Elvis : I've had 2 42PD3000 before the 42PD5200, and it's a million times better! Even the remote control works as it should!

Ronaldm : I see your point, but to me your paying a few hundred pounds more to get the old software and less options. :)

I don't have any buzzing on mine, but I noticed in the manual that it says that buzzing is not considered a fault! Same goes for the plasma gas charging effect and a few other things!

I tried mine on progressive scan and during Star Trek Nemesis in the battle scenes you get flickering horizontal lines, this didn't happen on the PD3000. It only happened on the one film though, so it could even be my Jamo dvd player which is going back this week due to numerous faults!

22. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Rampage

Are you happy with the picture quality from Sky? I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide between this model, the Pio 434, Panny PE30 or PW6 when the funds finally arrive.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    single cable connections are easy to achieve with any plasma panel, do't let that be a reason for choosing one over another. Buzzing does appear to be an issue with the new ones, just like the PD3000. Not everybody gets it by any means, but it's maddening if you get a loud one, and a recent thread seems to show that Hitachi have no cure. I won't sell Hitachi because of the return rate, well above any other make, even the Koreans. Though that could be that they korean panel buyers have lower expectations, I don't mean that Hitachi are worse in any way. But suffice to say if I'd had the reate of return that JL have suffered with the PD3000 I'd have had to declare bankruptcy. Panasonics are not faultless, but at least the problems are fixable, usually permanently.

24. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'v had 3 Hitachi's now (one was re-conditioned) and none of them buzzed.

The other thing i've just realised that is missing from the PD5200 is the headphone socket! :(

25. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Rampage,

I am seriously considering the hitachi42 inc 5200 over the panny because detail is more important to me and this TV has a DVI connection but is this for PC only or both dvd and pc? how detailed is DVD via component?

Where did you get yours from? also Hitachi are giving away potable dvd players 7 inch screen did you get one, is it any good?

Azz

26. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Big thanks to all those who've been kind enough to offer me advice over the previous couple of months- Maw, Elvis, Liam, Dr Jon etc etc..

Ordered my 42pd5200 from Crampton and Moore for £2400- I know I could have got it slightly cheaper but I trust these guys- would definately recommend. Ordered Tuesday- recieved 48 hours later. Nice.

Pleased to report that to my eyes the PQ is just stunning. I've not even spun a dvd yet, only freeview (Pioneer) but I'm dead chuffed with the picture- definately an improvement on the old hitachi panel and, I think, better than the pannys. I would certainly advise anyone whose considering getting a plasma to get one of these. Great picture, loads of inputs, looks fantastic, relatively cheap.. even the missus is happy. (And, thank god, mine doesn't buzz.. yet!)

Mounted the panel on my timber stud wall. Bracket is fixed to just a single vertical stud with 2 x 2" size 12 wood screws at the top and bottom. (Had to drill a couple of extra holes in the bracket) At each side of the bracket I just used several plasterboard toggle fixings. Got everything I needed from B&Q. **** easy in the end. Did some pull-ups to check the mount would take the weight and realised how unfit I've become after I collapsed in a heap after 4. Dropped the cables in the cavity- no horizontal studs- result!

Still no DVD player or surround sound yet.. still thinking over my options.. currently looking at in-wall speakers. this AV stuff just goes on and on.. anyone got a cure??

For anyone thats interseted I've attached a pic of the end result of MONTHS of trawling through websites, forums and magzines and generaly becoming a social recluse in pursuit of a nice big telly, just in time for the footy. Come on England!

Cheers all and good luck.

Attached Files:

27. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the new hitachi is possibly the best picture i have seen . house of fraser had sky on at the time didnt think i would say this but it looked as good as crt .
    dont get side tracked with panasonic there are better screens out their inclunding the pio 434.

28. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Scooby,

Nice Plasma. How do i contact your suppliers? How did you get rid of all those wires?

Did it come with the table top stand and the wall brackets?

I want to order one so please advise?.

I think it is HD compatible but i thought one could only do this through a DVI input i have a feeling this plasma only has a DVI PC input?

Please confirm ?

I hope you have many yrs of fun

Azz

29. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Go to www.pricerunner.co.uk and search for a 42pd5200. Crampton & Moore should appear fairly near the cheap end! I've had no problems yet.. but I suppose the real test is how they respond if/when a fault develops with the screen!

Paid £2400 for the screen (includes table top stand and free DVD player)
    £100 for the bracket
    £35 delivery.

Regarding the DVI input, as far as I'm aware it will accept a video signal from a compatible DVD player.

My wall is hollow, so after cut a hole top and bottom I could just drop the cables.

30. Gazzad

Gazzad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nexnix have it as a price match product at £2434.95 including a free DVE set up disk, and the free portable DVD player.

They get very good reviews on here.