1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the lifespan of LCD Projector tubes much shorter than conventional CRT TV tubes?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tk2001, Feb 14, 2002.

1. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    There seems to be a huge buzz at the moment regarding Panasonic's PT AE-100 and I am very intereseted in it especially because it offers true progressive scan pictures.

The only problem I face is that I've been hearing that LCD tubes in projectors don't lasts as long as tubes found in conventional CRT TVs.

The dilema I now face, is that if I was to purchase a PT AE-100 and I was to use the projector on average between 3-6 hours a day (as well as watching DVD movies I also have an Xbox and enjoy shooting the Covenents in Halo ), how long would the LCD tubes last before I have to replace them? - I heard that replacement tubes are very expensive!

I would appreciate any honest replies.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TK2001

When you say LCD tubes I take it that you mean the lamps that LCD projectors use.

In the PT-AE100 case the specs give around 5000 hours of lamp life in low power mode, which for an LCD units is very high.

New lamp/bulbs for the PT-AE100 are supposed to be around £140 each, which for LCD unit lamps if very low!

5000 hours at 5 hours a day work out at 2.7 years for each lamp/bulb!

I would suggest, as would several other forum members, that you use a normal TV for daytime viewing and soap watching and use a projector for sport, gaming & movie events as projectors, especially the PT-AE100 require a darkend room!

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Life span on an avearge CRT projetor / front or rear is about 10,000 hours to half brightness.

Most LCD and DLP's quote to actual failure. but even if you managed 4000 hrs that not bad going.

p.s. Some manufactures ad 30mins to the run time each time the lamps is struck to compensate for the extra wear induced by striking the lamp.

4. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My CRT has done 20,000 hours, and probably has another 5 years in it, at reasonably high usage. That'll be 7 or 8 years with the amount of time I get with it at the moment.

The image is superb at 720p.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    OK - the point is:

The only part that is likely to fail/deteriorate to any visible extent in a LCD projector is the bulb.

It won't last anything like as long as a CRT. But, when it does fail, it will cost a tiny fraction to replace it (in most cases, something you can do yourself) compared to new tube(s) on a CRT.

So long as you factor in to your budget, the cost of one or two replacement lamps over the lifespan of the equipment (before you want to upgrade because something new is now available), you are covered.

The typical 10,000 hours for a CRT's lifespan is unlikely to be reached by all but the most dedicated movie fan and/or in commercial setups. I use my projector for about 500 hours a year.

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This is what the salesman says as you walk out the door but it is not true.

LCD pannels rely on an organic material to feed them polorised light this is distroyed by ultraviolet light and made worse by infrared too. Inside your LCD projector is one of the best sources of both. There are glass filters built in to protect them but these will wear over time.

Look at an LCD projector that has been through a lamp change or two. Throw up a white screen and check the uniformity particularly the blue (which will give a yellow cast).

This technology is still in its infancy.

But I think you are right on the budgeting. Now we have projectors that can boast 2-4000hrs for a lamp. The projector will be redundant after a couple of lamp changes.