Are the England players lazy?

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"We just stopped playing" - Gerrard

Sounds like they couldn't be bothered. Are the England players lazy?

"We just stopped playing" - Gerrard

Sounds like they couldn't be bothered. Are the England players lazy?

I cant help but feel they dont quite give their all as their predecessors doid many years ago.They seem to save most of their energy for their clubs.For me they have their priorities wrong

Last edited:
You're reading too much into it. A well known and used expression in football to explain when you aren't playing well.

And LGS, England have been pretty similar for a long time now.

They are just not as good as everyone thinks they are.
Until england international footballers ply their trade in different leagues and we start recruiting top coaches or train coaches at youth level we will always be crap

kopchoir said:
Until england international footballers ply their trade in different leagues and we start recruiting top coaches or train coaches at youth level we will always be crap

How many of the Spanish national team ply their trade outside La Liga?

Similarly, how many of the German national team play for teams outside the Bundesliga?

How many of the Spanish national team ply their trade outside La Liga?

Similarly, how many of the German national team play for teams outside the Bundesliga?

Quite a few or have done over the years how many english players played abroad?
Its not the be all and end all but imo its a contributing factor.
Look at the Dutch football is like an education its massively funded through education. Facilities are top notch.
The biggest problem here is one of coaching.
Clubs pick up players young and teach them their philosophy which could be very different from the national team.
The dutch the Germans the Spanish have all implemented structure from start to finish.
Here its a wealth and greed thing look at the cost of English players compared to european players?

The fa should hire the best youth coaches in the world train coach and educate players.
Give the players after their education to smaller teams the big teams buy them percentage of transfer fees go back to the fa.

Just my idea like

Interesting discussion.

Not sure about Holland - their style of play is lauded but what have they actually won? Nothing. Ever. Really surprising given the talent they have had at their disposal over the years.

I believe England have good enough players. What we have continually got wrong over the years is the appointment of managers. Keegan was a knee jerk, Sven because we fell in love with the idea of a foreign manager, McClaren (slaps head), Capello and now Hodgson.

Venables (and to a certain degree Hoddle) were the last managers to really generate a team spirit and decent performances on the pitch. Our teams in the 1996 Euros and the 1998 World Cup were unlucky not to collect the trophy, in my humble opinion.

I think the FA have continually made mistake in the appointment of the National Team Manager, it goes way back to when they didn't want to give the job to Clough and gave it to Don Revie.

Not sure about Holland - their style of play is lauded but what have they actually won? Nothing. Ever. Really surprising given the talent they have had at their disposal over the years.

They won the euros in 88 :)

You're reading too much into it. A well known and used expression in football to explain when you aren't playing well.

And LGS, England have been pretty similar for a long time now.

too long, so much so i have virtually lost interest in football.I very rarely watch club football these days as to my mind its not English ,just based here.
I read today in the Guardian a piece about how well certain prem clubs are doing in the U19 European championship .Trouble is all the players mentioned are foreign, so basically our clubs are coaching foreigners rather than our own homegrown talent. It more than infuriates me when a major footballing country like ours cannot compete at the highest level in international football.The clubs could not give a damn so why do i bother?:mad:

too long, so much so i have virtually lost interest in football.I very rarely watch club football these days as to my mind its not English ,just based here.
I read today in the Guardian a piece about how well certain prem clubs are doing in the U19 European championship .Trouble is all the players mentioned are foreign, so basically our clubs are coaching foreigners rather than our own homegrown talent. It more than infuriates me when a major footballing country like ours cannot compete at the highest level in international football.The clubs could not give a damn so why do i bother?:mad:

what do u expect when british players cost triple compared to a foreign player of equal ability?

Stop charging stupid money for british players and we will see more british players coming in

English players are not lazy. I have no idea why they want to play for England though. They get nothing but abuse for one reason or another. They should take the Scholes option and stick to club football and let the baying masses get their teeth into lesser players.

If England were another national side the English would say of them 'difficult to beat, rarely beaten over 90 minutes, compact, tight, very hard to break down. They'll never win the World Cup but they're a banana skin for anyone'

As it is. "They're overpaid and crap"

BomoLad said:
If England were another national side the English would say of them 'difficult to beat, rarely beaten over 90 minutes, compact, tight, very hard to break down. They'll never win the World Cup but they're a banana skin for anyone'

As it is. "They're overpaid and crap"

But we should be aiming for more than that don't you think? We're not a minor nation who can be proud of being difficult to beat etc. we invented the game. We have the best league in the world. We should be challenging for trophies at the major tournaments. Not saying we should win everything but we haven't even been in any other final than the 66 World Cup and two semi finals in 1990 and 1996. As a major footballing nation, we should be aiming and performing, a lot higher than we do.

I think we both underestimate recent achievements and are somewhat spoiled by the 'quality' of the domestic league. England's previous record prior to 2000 could be described, at best, as erratic. Our form in major competitions (those which we qualify for) has actually improved on the whole. And yet people still speak as if we're a footballing nation in decline when compared to the glory days where things were demonstrably on average not as good.

I think its down to the fact that we haven't kicked on.

In 1986, we had a decent tournament (after a dodgy start!) and were denied in a great game by the hand of God. 1990 - we were tremendous (again after a wobble) and were on the verge of the final.

The main theme is that quarter finals is the limit of our abilities when surely a nation of our size and standing in the game of football should be able to win / get to a final of the Euros or World Cup more than once - ever.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376510992.271349.jpg

Not wellbeck or snodgrass

Lambert 1st touch

But England poor

not for me they weren't considering its their first game of the season.I thought it was a very entertaining match

Same for both teams though. Could see some of the players flagging getting towards the end.

For the difference in rankings both teams were pretty close in performance

Pretty much this. Everything needs to change from youth football upwards.

If you look at successful teams in the World Cup, they are all technically fantastic. Players are comfortable receiving the ball even when closely marked. English players do not have the same technical ability.

A lot of the problems stem from the youth academys . My son was played for Everton academy for several years and in my opinion the coaches were only interested in winning so they could tell the boss on Monday morning how well they were doing. And it is easy to win at younger ages, just pick the biggest lads and overpower the opposition.

The only academy that had the right attitude was Manchester United. When the younger teams visit them their idea was that they were too young to be playing competitive matches so they mixed the two teams up and played little 4-a side games. The parents hated it because they wanted to see a proper game of football but it was fun for the kids and relied on technique, not strength.

Unless we change something drastically, we will never compete in a World Cup with a chance of winning. Our players are just not good enough.

This is one of the subjects I am most passionate about, youth football, particularly with having an 8 year old boy and trying to find somewhere to play each week.

The thing is, most clubs are only interested in winning games. The "training" during the week is nothing of the sort and ridiculously, one club I went to had lads of around 9 or 10 running round the field like an army drill and then doing press ups. What a load of ****.

They then play a game on a Sunday, when players hardly see the ball, there is no football played and the ball is constantly launched forward for people to run on to and score past a small goalkeeper in a large net. It really is cringeworthy to watch.

For now, my son is going to a weekly futsal class.

Futsal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Smaller, heavier ball that doesn't really bounce. Played by countries such as Spain, Brazil, Portugal the game promotes skill, quick movement off the ball, fast feet and tricks, close control.

There are no corners, long balls, long throws etc. The pace of the game is incredible and is really demanding on your ability to control the ball, move it quickly and precisely and then get a return pass. Think Xavi and Iniesta.

The amount of times England played a long ball last night was excruciating. We have no skillful players who can beat a man. We never string a succession passes together.

Until there is a radical overhaul of the Youth system in this country we will always be behind nations that encourage passing, control and do not play competitive games at such young ages.

My next door neighbour came home with his son, "we won 16-0". I felt dead inside. Really? 16-0 in a game between 12 year olds? Who is that helping?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom