Are the Dali Opticons worth the upgrade from Dali Zensor 3's

George12

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking into this some time ago but got side tracked with the Rubicon 2's, which never came to fruitian. Some very helpful folk's inter-jected and helped me spend my money (@gibbsy !) and i ended up purchasing a Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III, wow what a purchase and difference to the sound of my CD collection! Now that i've enjoyed and continue to enjoy the Jolida, i'm back to the speaker issue. I run a Marantz PM7200 amp in class A, takes some warming up even it pure electronic's but worth the effort. This in conjuction with the Arcam CDS27 acting as a transport to the Jolida and a re-sprayed NAD 533 and disastorous arm wire upgrade nightmare!

Firstly, is the improvement between the 2 worth the investment, considering the accompanying hardware?

Secondlt, how well would the go with rock/ punk/ ska types of music in that would they seperate the sound to the excent that it takes away the mastery of the mixing engineers talents?

Thirdly, is the Dali Oberon3 a better option than the Opticon2?

Last edited:
If you want good separation then a good three way will go some way to achieving that. Rock also needs a good strong bass response, not so much an issue was there's always the possibility of adding a good musical sub in the future. Dali will provide a more forward presentation which will be somewhat tamed by mating to the Marantz.

KEFs are fairly benign and suit so many amps, Marantz is no exception. The right model can prove very good will all genre thrown at them.

Are you talking about a speaker for stereo use only? If so I'll move this thread for you.

If you want good separation then a good three way will go some way to achieving that. Rock also needs a good strong bass response, not so much an issue was there's always the possibility of adding a good musical sub in the future. Dali will provide a more forward presentation which will be somewhat tamed by mating to the Marantz.

KEFs are fairly benign and suit so many amps, Marantz is no exception. The right model can prove very good will all genre thrown at them.

Are you talking about a speaker for stereo use only? If so I'll move this thread for you.
Yes, for stero use only. Thanks for offering to move it to the cporrect heading location

Yes, for stero use only. Thanks for offering to move it to the cporrect heading location
Moved for you.

Next question is depth of your pockets?

Not looking at going beyond £500

I've found a pair of the Opticons slightly used for a very resonable price that come with some warranty that are close to my ceiling price of £500

Hi. I was with my mother when she bought her Opticon 1's. We also listened to other speakers, including the Zensor 3. Side by side, the Opticon was noticeably more refined. She's an Opera buff amd had a cracking test track that really worked the speakers.
Spending ~£500, I'd also be looking at the Dynaudio Emit range and the recently replaced Kef LS50.

Hi. I was with my mother when she bought her Opticon 1's. We also listened to other speakers, including the Zensor 3. Side by side, the Opticon was noticeably more refined. She's an Opera buff amd had a cracking test track that really worked the speakers.
Spending ~£500, I'd also be looking at the Dynaudio Emit range and the recently replaced Kef LS50.
Thanks for the input, it's reassuring to know that the Opticons are a move up.

I've looked at the basic Kef LS50 and Dynaudio M20 and carn't find either under £500 with warranty, but have sourced an ex-demo pair of Opticon 2's with warranty for £375 and will be taking a punt with those i think. If they are lacking in bass, then as others have suggested a sub maybe the way forward.

At that price Id be looking at the Wharedale evo 4.2 and the flagship Mission zx1

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_142459.jpg
    IMG_20210202_142459.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 62

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom