are the bugs fixed yet ? (except the HDCP message)

gruber

Standard Member
Hi

Been watching the forum pages for some time now, and have taken the plunge with install date of 31st august, 50/50 whether I carry on or cancel.

There is a hugh emphasis on the HDCP issue (of course) but what I have found it difficult to assess is whether the mass of bugs highlighted in the early days have now been fixed through software updates.

In otherwords, is the box functioning well (excluding the HDCP issue) or is it still error prone.

Karapet

Standard Member
I think you have to bear in mind that people won't look for this kind of forum if they have perfectly working boxes so the problems may have seemed worse than they actually are. The main problem that nearly everyone seemed to have with the clock slippage has been fixed, personally I had a couple of other minor problems with mine at first but it's been trouble free (touch wood :) ) for several weeks now.

Reaperman

Novice Member
Karapet said:
I think you have to bear in mind that people won't look for this kind of forum if they have perfectly working boxes so the problems may have seemed worse than they actually are. The main problem that nearly everyone seemed to have with the clock slippage has been fixed, personally I had a couple of other minor problems with mine at first but it's been trouble free (touch wood :) ) for several weeks now.

Barr the HDCP issue I am happy with my HD box...

he says clutching a large lump of wood....:rotfl:

gruber

Standard Member
thanks for your reply

This is my point exactly. Have the mass of niggly problems at the outset now been resolved by and large ?

The HDCP issue rages on and there will be endless debate about whether the sky service is value for money etc etc which are all matters of opinion and seperate issue's.

I would appreciate anyone else's comments on this thread based on own experience.

J Roadley

Just tonight, mine turned itself off. Had to wait 2-3 minutes before it came back on. Had it since May 22nd and seen rubbish fast forwarding, clock out of sync, random recordings.

Only went for it for the world cup, now thats over not that bothered - although Jools Holland is sweet :D

gruber

Standard Member
J Roadley said:
Just tonight, mine turned itself off. Had to wait 2-3 minutes before it came back on. Had it since May 22nd and seen rubbish fast forwarding, clock out of sync, random recordings.

:( have you tried and get these issues fixed with sky ?

JUS

J Roadley said:

Only went for it for the world cup, now thats over not that bothered - although Jools Holland is sweet :D
pretty much like sky+ then ;)

JUS

gruber said:
J Roadley said:

:( have you tried and get these issues fixed with sky ?
If you want it I'd go for it if I were you but connect it up using component for now, especially if you have a Pioneer panel. GrahamMG seems to be convinced the HDCP problem was with manufacturers who didn't send their panels to sky for testing...Fuji sent theirs in for testing and no problems were found...graham promised to fix my panel if I had problems :thumbsup:

Sky boxes are never fault free and need a reboot every so often. They either lock up or go a bit funny...doesn't happen that often so it's a major problem.

gruber

Standard Member
Hi Jus

Yes i want it and yes i have a pioneer ! :D

I would certainly use component at the moment but that does not bother me too much as I reckon this HDCP issue will be sorted out and from what I have seen on the forum the component option is still pretty impressive.

My worry is spending the cash now if the box still has loads of bugs. I know there is the guarantee but it is the hassle and stress of sorting out problems with Sky (as we all know about)

The odd re-boot can't be that bad, can it.....

mr. shr

Go for it!!!!
I haven't had any problems with mine. (I'm sooo gonna regret saying that!!!)
Only had to reset the box once but otherwise it has been all good. Not a great deal of content at the moment but that will improve with time.

If you're a footie fan (EPL) then you'll get good value when the season starts in about three weeks. That's one of the main reasons I went for it. (Bet we have a really bad season now, and my box starts playing up!!!) :D

gruber

Standard Member
Hi Jus.

I realise they do software updates to fix problems, but when it comes down to it, has the stage been reached where (in the main) all known issues have been fixed ?

People often refer on the forum about the latest software version, is it a question of "if you have that then you will ok" or does there remain numerous bugs unfixed ?

KinkyAffro

Novice Member
gruber said:
Hi Jus.

I realise they do software updates to fix problems, but when it comes down to it, has the stage been reached where (in the main) all known issues have been fixed ?

People often refer on the forum about the latest software version, is it a question of "if you have that then you will ok" or does there remain numerous bugs unfixed ?
If there are numerous bugs remaining none of them have affected me. Been perfect from day one, never so much as a re-boot needed. Roll on footie season :D

BIGMAX

Novice Member
The fast forward/Rewind problem is still there though isn't it along with the Pulsing effect on certain programs ?

sweezely

Standard Member
Here's basically what's happened with the bug fixes.

In this transcript, S is Sky and F is this collective entity known as a "forum" -

F: Bugs.
S: ?
F: Brand new product bugs.
S: omg, noobs moaning
F: **** sky, tivo/telewest/ntl rool.
S: Well why don't you leave sky then?
F: Shut up!
S: lol pwned
F: Fix clock
S: Clock fixed, noob
F: HDCP thing. Everyone's TV borken.
S: That's a bit of an exagerration.
F: **** you
S: What wrong?
F: shrug
S: Give time to fix?
F: No
S: Fine then. Babies.
F: FF is F'ed.
S: lol. screwed.
F: No fair! It's precisely 48.7658% slower than it should be,
S: rofl.

S: **** noobs

A while later:

New user: Bugs fixed?
Forum: lol use search.

This is my take on the bugs.

M

mickavery

Did a planner rebuild, and that seems to have fixed the rewind/fast forward problems.(the only problem I have encountered so far)

J

jonjo69

gruber said:
Hi Jus

Yes i want it and yes i have a pioneer ! :D

I would certainly use component at the moment but that does not bother me too much as I reckon this HDCP issue will be sorted out and from what I have seen on the forum the component option is still pretty impressive.

My worry is spending the cash now if the box still has loads of bugs. I know there is the guarantee but it is the hassle and stress of sorting out problems with Sky (as we all know about)

The odd re-boot can't be that bad, can it.....
You get the feeling Sky and Microsoft employ the same software programmers :D

gruber

Standard Member
I saw an issue where loads of people were experiencing some kind of "picture shake" (i think it was called) on component - I think on 1080i but ok on 720p.

Does anyone know if this has been fixed ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom