Are the Arcam Diva Receivers really the best out there for the price??

Ned Senior

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:lease: I have just been offered an AVR 300 (black) for £700... after a little web twiddling I found the AVR 250 for just over £500 delivered.
Is it worth getting either of these or instead go with onkyo's 605 or 705
I want to get good sound out of my HD-E1.. however I listened to the sound offav the hd dvd "bourne supremacy" yesterday through my Sherwood/JBL setup and it was damn good
Question is are the onkyo's really better? would the arcams outshine em? or should I save my money and buy a shedload of movies??

I was gonna get a 505 but my local hifi store said I would get NO sound out of the amp if connected to the player via HDMI!!!! BS I thought :confused:

To get the most out of the HD audio formats on HD-DVDs, you'll need an av receiver that supports LPCM audio over HDMI or HDMI v1.3a, which sadly the Arcam receivers don't (at present).

From what you've described of your setup, you're probably only hearing the DD or DTS soundtrack from the HD-DVD. How is the Toshiba connected to your av amp? If it is by optical or coaxial digital cable, then you're missing out on the DD and DTS HD formats.

Perform a search on the terms "LPCM", "HDMI v1.3a" and "DTS HD Master Audio" in these forums, and you should get a clearer picture.

In the interests of a fair response, if you have a large DVD collection and/or can output 5.1 from your Toshiba HD-E1 via analogue outs, then the Arcam range may still be for you. They're widely considered as very musical sounding amps and will have implemented non-HD formats to a very high standard.

To get the most out of the HD audio formats on HD-DVDs, you'll need an av receiver that supports LPCM audio over HDMI or HDMI v1.3a, which sadly the Arcam receivers don't (at present).

From what you've described of your setup, you're probably only hearing the DD or DTS soundtrack from the HD-DVD. How is the Toshiba connected to your av amp? If it is by optical or coaxial digital cable, then you're missing out on the DD and DTS HD formats.

Perform a search on the terms "LPCM", "HDMI v1.3a" and "DTS HD Master Audio" in these forums, and you should get a clearer picture.

In the interests of a fair response, if you have a large DVD collection and/or can output 5.1 from your Toshiba HD-E1 via analogue outs, then the Arcam range may still be for you. They're widely considered as very musical sounding amps and will have implemented non-HD formats to a very high standard.

:smashin: I am feeling that the onkyo 705 is the amp to go for depending on later reviews..
I am currently outputting from my E1 via optical (there is no co-ax out)
I just worry that I will shell out a load of cash on an onkyo or similar then find I do't get much sound improvement from that which I currently hear whereas feel sure the arcam ( albeit still only optical in atm) would give me a nicer audio experience

Plus I may upgrade the E1 at some point not too long away and get something with multi-chnl analogue outs.. that is if and when the newer model players are released :)

Thats not correct at all. Decoding can be done within the player and output to the analog outs and then to the receivers analog in

At this point you will notice the very, very big differece between,say, an AVR350 and an Onkyo or Denon. Many people use this arrangement in order, specifically to obtain the SQ for which Arcam is renowned. I also use a Zektor switch to allow multiple sources to use the Arcams analog inputs

Thats not correct at all. Decoding can be done within the player and output to the analog outs and then to the receivers analog in

At this point you will notice the very big differece between,say, an AVR350 and an Onkyo or Denon. Many people use this arrangement in order, specifically to obtain the SQ for which Arcam is renowned. I also use a Zektor switch to allow multiple sources to use the Arcams analog inputs

Hi coldmachine... is the avr 250 a decent machine then?? my local dealer is poo so would have to go 30 miles to audition

:smashin: I am feeling that the onkyo 705 is the amp to go for depending on later reviews..
I am currently outputting from my E1 via optical (there is no co-ax out)
I just worry that I will shell out a load of cash on an onkyo or similar then find I do't get much sound improvement from that which I currently hear whereas feel sure the arcam ( albeit still only optical in atm) would give me a nicer audio experience

Plus I may upgrade the E1 at some point not too long away and get something with multi-chnl analogue outs.. that is if and when the newer model players are released :)

Why not use the analogs. Demo the units and you will make a better choice.

Also have a look on AVS, as there are some major issues showing up on the new Onkyos both on the audio and video side. Some reliability issues as well.

Hi coldmachine... is the avr 250 a decent machine then?? my local dealer is poo so would have to go 30 miles to audition

The 250 and 300 are discontinued now so should be available for cheap ( no idea on UK prices). Both are low on bells and whistles but high on sound. Both also are a good bit behind the 280 and 350. Plenty info on AVS and here.

At this point you will notice the very, very big differece between,say, an AVR350 and an Onkyo or Denon. Many people use this arrangement in order, specifically to obtain the SQ for which Arcam is renowned. I also use a Zektor switch to allow multiple sources to use the Arcams analog inputs

I believe I mentioned connecting an Arcam receiver via the HD-E1's analogue outs at the end of my posting?? True, the Arcam should provide a better solution as a multi-channel power amp than an Onkyo or Denon.

Has the HD -E1 got multi-channel analogue outs :confused: Thought that you needed an HD - XE1

I believe I mentioned connecting an Arcam receiver via the HD-E1's analogue outs at the end of my posting?? True, the Arcam should provide a better solution as a multi-channel power amp than an Onkyo or Denon.

You did indeed. I missed that. My bad:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom