1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the 636/737 Pioneers built better than the 525

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have had had chance to test a Pioneer 525 and am amazed how 'cheap' it feels...

I recently bought a Sony CD player and it was solid and felt quality, but the 525 was really 'hollow'.

I want to buy a 'non-budget' DVD player and am thinking of getting a 737, but although the look the same, are they built the same?

Is the 737 a solidly built unit?

2. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont get hang up on who heavy something is..

Go get a Pioneer brochure and compare the specs of the 737 and the 535 interms of features there is no real difference. Sure the 737 must be a better build beacuse it is heavyer (or did the mount a large bit of metal in it...), but feature wise how can you justify the difference of £500??

I have the brochure here and used it to make my decision..

I cross checked the 535, 636 and 717.
    636 is the same as 535 except it had built in DTS/DD decoder (I have am amp, so dont nbeed this).(its also the same weight...) 717 has no decoders but has a progressive scan feature to make movies look better (but only NTSC DVDs played back on an NTSC TV or compatible)...

I would say go for the 535 and use the difference for something else...£50 quid scarts etc...

I bought a 535 and I am very happy with it, used the difference on di-pole speakers and new bi-wire cable..Still spent all the money but got more for it..

Hope this helps..

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    The problem is that I have a Samsung 709 now, which is MUCH more feature packed than the 535.

The 535 seems basic in comparison.

I only want to upgrade because of CDR support, but I don't want to end up with a player which is less able than what I already have..