1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Techtronics Pioneer mods OK?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Mar 3, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I am thinking of buying a new Pioneer DVD player and want to get it from Techtronics as:

a. They are the cheapest (from what I can see)

b. Their mod doesn't require soldering, as it plugs in the little slot in the side. This means that it could remove it if I ever need and it won't invalidate the warantee.

How are Techtronics? How are their mods? They claim to be the most experienced in this area?

Has anyone had any problems?

2. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Techtronics are very good. My only complain is dont order from them at Christmas as you'll have a huge delay. As its not Christmas right now, go ahead.

The Pioneer 626 has the same mod you describe and the mod is fantastic. However, you commented that you can remove it yourself. This is not true. If you want to get the E-Mod removed you must send it back to them to get it done (As far as i am aware)

3. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I had a Pioneer 717 from Techtronics some 18 months ago - never had any problems except that you have to do a disc swap to get a region 1 RCE disc to play. Recently ordered an LG player for a friend and although he had to wait because LG were not delivering the stock when it did come he was very pleased with it. [​IMG]

4. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think upgradeheaven.co.uk are cheaper, i ordered a pioneer from them and the service was excellent but the same cannot be expected from Techtronics. if you head over to www.dvdtimes.co.uk and search the forums for a techtronics, ull find a thread with about 10 pages of complaints about techtronics and there customer service! especially there after sales service!
    Hope it all goes well. Jon/

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I have had a Pioneer 626 from Techtronics for nearly a year and it has been trouble free - I found out that their "London" office was quite near me and collected my 626 from there and the salesman was very helpful ...

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

6. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just like to echo what Jon said. The service is spot on. Although I've only had it for a fortnight, I'm hugely impressed with my 737.

John

7. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I bought a player from Techtronics and have never had so much trouble in all my life!

The MOD never worked on Auto from day one and I had to manually change from region 1-2 every time I swapped discs. They took the player back for testing only for them to deny the player was faulty. And when they sent the player back the fault was still there. When I talked the auto setting through with one of their people who later said "I just don't understand it. It was a brand new player with new software." 24 hours later they still deny a fault.

Techtronics are ok if everything works fine, but when it doesn't:-

Don't think you'll automatically get your money back.

Don't think they will beleive a word you say.

Don't think you are talking the same language as them.

One thing is for sure, once they have your money that is it, it is their money and they have no intention in giving it back to YOU, unless some one else tells them too. LIKE a JUDGE!!!

Hope your shopping goes better than mine.

Regards.

------------------
    Is he the one?

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got a 737 from Techtronics and are very pleased with it. However, I too thought that it featured the plug in e-mod but this model does not. When I questioned the sales staff they said this model was a software upload, which I assume just means they upload a new version of the system ROM (probably on a flash chip) which lets you change the region.

Everything works fine though.

Chris.

Interestingly the site says on the front page that a load of players, inc the 737, come with bonus films. I didn't get any and when I asked them they said the offer had run out and they I must be using a cached version of the page. I'm not and would be interested to see if anyone else can see the 737 in the list at the right side.

Chris.

9. Big Bad Sven

Big Bad Sven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See other posts on this and thedvdforums.

This company is a COMPLETE NIGHTMARE if anything goes wrong with your unit.

Any savings is just not worth it as they'll leave you high and dry if anything goes wrong.