Are T-Mobile in breach of contract?

Snatch

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have 3 lines with T-Mobile. Mine, the wifes, and my dad..
Monthly, we aren't taking about big money (maybe £50)..

Over the last 8 months or so, another party has been paying money into my
account (they must have my account number on their records). When the billing cycle comes round on a
monthly basis, the correct amount is shown in my statements, but the
incorrect amount is taken from my bank account. For example, my last bill
was for £50. The amount actually taken from my bank account has been £10 as
£40 was deposited from a third party (who i don't know).

Problem i face is that T-Mobile discover these issues a couple of months
down the line then re-adjust my account. This then means i am hit with a 3
month bill, called daily by your collections dept and my credit rating
impacted.
This is not acceptable.

I have called many times (at least 15+) trying to get this rectified and
each time i am promised a call back by a manager. I have not received any
such call.

On the last occurrence, i was advised that this account was to be monitored
and any payments (outside of my direct debit) would be transferred to their
correct location immediately. This happened once, but the problem seems to
have started all over again.

I am continually being fobbed of with promises that this will be rectified yet nothing happens.

Complaints dept are looking into this at present although I'm not holding my breath. Do you think t-mobile are in breach of contract as they are supposed to billing and receiving monies on a monthly basis?

Sorry - what is the actual problem? Is some third party paying the £40 and then coming to take it back later?

So that £40 is being picked up by T-Mobile then transferred to the correct account. This then leaves me in £40 debit (usually more as they don't see this problem for a couple of months), and i start getting calls from collections saying i have a 2 month outstanding bill.
It also impacts my credit rating.

My understanding is that you have been paying under what your actual bill is because somebody else is subsidising it?

If correct then you of course you owe the money that you have not paid (but somebody else has) but T-Mobile should be helpig you to rectifiy the issue.

Why leave it 8 months? Where is this £40 coming from?

So Tmobile credit then debit your account, then claim you haven't paid your bill? How odd. I would be going to a local store to sort it, or if not switching phone companies :)

Can't imagine they are in any particualr breach - they are giving you a random free loan afterall.

I can understand why you are frustrated that T-Mobile aren't listening to your attempts to get it rectified.

But I don't understand your concern that T-Mobile might eventually realise and take the money paid in by a 3rd party back, leaving you with a bill to pay.

The reasons

(i) You know this is happening so it shouldn't come as a big surprise.

(ii) You can easily prepare for it by putting the amount deposited by a 3rd party aside each month. Then if T-Mobile do sort the problem out you have the money to settle what you owe. If they don't and decide to write it off then you have a bonus.

But doing nothing, even though you know there is a problem and then thinking you are entitled to the money because you have informed T-Mobile what has been happening is wrong.

Have you put it in writing to T-Mobile yet - if not then report the problem formally (for your records). In the meantime, match any payment by a 3rd party by a payment that you put aside (in a savings account for example).

Cheers,

Nigel

I can understand why you are frustrated that T-Mobile aren't listening to your attempts to get it rectified.

But I don't understand your concern that T-Mobile might eventually realise and take the money paid in by a 3rd party back, leaving you with a bill to pay.

The reasons

(i) You know this is happening so it shouldn't come as a big surprise.

(ii) You can easily prepare for it by putting the amount deposited by a 3rd party aside each month. Then if T-Mobile do sort the problem out you have the money to settle what you owe. If they don't and decide to write it off then you have a bonus.

But doing nothing, even though you know there is a problem and then thinking you are entitled to the money because you have informed T-Mobile what has been happening is wrong.

Have you put it in writing to T-Mobile yet - if not then report the problem formally (for your records). In the meantime, match any payment by a 3rd party by a payment that you put aside (in a savings account for example).

Cheers,

Nigel

On the contrary, i am not asking for compensation or a free ride..
I simply want to be able to setup a monthly direct debit (as i have been for 20+ years now) and both parties adhere to it. Even after they make the correction, whilst its annoying, i will happily pay.

What i shouldn't have to do is continually monitor this account as this process should be automated. Obviously, there is periodic check on the account to make sure everything is generally ok (this is how picked this up 8 months ago).

I have called them many times and today written a complaint letter so lets see what happens. This has only become a problem as when this goes to collections, it then impacts my credit rating. Obviously now i am making overpayments so when this is picked up by T-Mobile, its cleared immediately. But again, i shouldn't have to do this.

To date, their service around this matter has been rubbish!

Last edited:
I'm sure the quickest way to resolve is a call to their 'retentions' department saying 'I would like to close these three contracts please. why you say? because you can't resolve this simple issue'.

Either they will resolve it there and then, or you can switch to a proper provider.

Assuming you are out of any lock-in period, although I would say this was grounds to leave it even so.

i would complain as its not your fault they are not doing there job properly, i have loads of problems with tmobile and will be leaving them asap

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom