1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are 'Spy Kids' and 'The Shinjuku Triad Society' worth buying?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gorshin, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both on cdwow for £5.99. I've seen some positive press for Spy kids but never seen it. Does it come recommended or is it just a throwaway kids film?

also what about the 'Shinjuku Triad Society'? (5.99 on wow) Heard that it is very extreme :devil:

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Shinjuku is very good Yakuza movie from director Miike Takashi - its not that extreme although i dont think any of Miike's films are that extreme.
    Its the first part of a trilogy of movies the other 2 films are Rainy Dog(pt 2) and Ley Lines (pt 3) All are recommended :smashin:

3. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What films do you consider to be extreme then? I reckon male to male anal rape to be extreme :laugh:

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Captain EyeCatch,

You said: "its not that extreme although i dont think any of Miike's films are that extreme."

Umm, have you seen the uncut version of "Ichi The Killer" then, or "Visitor Q" perhaps? They're pretty bloody extreme, I think you might find! Check out the Uk DVD cover of "Visitor Q" showing a woman's son (whose in his mid-twenties at least) being breastfed! :eek: And that's just the damn DVD cover artwork! Now watch the film! :rotfl:

Pooch

5. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes i have seen them - i own both Uncut on dvd - also own many other Miike films. I supose you could say they are Extreme when compared to the 'normal' Hollywood crap But they arent extreme in my eyes.
    If you want to see some Real extreme films you should check out movies like
    Lucky Sky Diamond, Mu Zan E, Redroom 1+2, Womans Flesh etc etc They are REALLY Extreme.

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I quite enjoyed Spy Kids. I caught some of it on Sky Movies and thought it looked amusing, so I bought the DVD on the premise that I was buying it for my 4 year old son.

If you like the humour in Robert Rodriguez (but obviously minus the usual violence) films then you should like Spy Kids.

If you do like it however don't be tempted by the two sequels. I thought that the second film was inferior to the first, and the third film was just totaly daft.