1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are special drivers required for plasma with VGA input?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ClumsyBiker, Jun 1, 2005.

1. ClumsyBiker

ClumsyBiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Is it necessary to download manufacturer approved VGA drivers when connecting a PC to the VGA input of a plasma TV? Should I expect such drivers to be bundled in the retail box with the screen (a panasonic)?

If not, can the TV be damaged in any way by Windows running in the wrong resolution or the wrong refresh rate?

What about the period of time while Windows boots up, during which the XP loading screen is 640 x 480 pixels @ 60Hz?

Thanks,
    Clumsy.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No, you use the video card drivers.

That depends on the make/model of plasma. Most just display something like "Out of Range" but I can't say for sure that all would.

Shouldn't be a problem.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Best to think of the plasma as just another PC monitor. My panny accepts just about any resolution under the sun with varying degrees of success rarely does it display nothing even with the craziest non-standard resolutions. You might hit some complications if you buy a plasma with non-quare pixels though...