1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are sony surround sound headphones any good?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by honglong, Nov 11, 2004.

1. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have been looking around for some surround sound headphones and this model seems a good price.

Sony MDR-DS3000

I have also been looking at various other sony models and the pioneer ones (well reviewed on here) i also notice Phillips have some out as well (dolby headphones model)

Has anyone got or had the sony surround headphones? (any model)

Are they good? do they hiss? whats the infrared transmission like? Do they have convincing surround sound (i.e. you can hear things in front and behind)

Has anyone compared them to dolby headphone? Are they better or worse?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

2. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Any one tried any of the Sony Surround headphones?

3. Finba

Finba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer se-dir800c are better than Sony 3000, but not so much than the difference of price. Scuse me for my poor english, but Sony 3000 are ok for the half price of the others.

4. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I receieved the Sony headphones yesterday. Cost me £97 delieverd from eBay (Mint, Ex display model)

I have only used the analogue input so far and i must admit, they should pretty good, with very taut bass.

I also, tried Return of the jedi (R2 dvd) and they sound excellent and comparable to my Sennheiser RS120 using Dolby Headphone on my laptop.

One thing i noticed is the centre can sound a little quiet sometimes. Nothing major, but i think using the digital input will help a lot.

Reception is good too. Infrared rocks! Must better sounding than any RF headphones i have heard and not must hiss at all...(mostly depends on input)

5. honglong

honglong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK, used the digital input and things improve lots.

In dolby digital things sound great, in DTS the bass is better ....

I am amazed at how good these sound and seperate sounds. They do actually make sounds appear from behind.

The end music/credits of Return of the Jedi is a good test. I heard instruments i never heard before and the seperation is amazing. The treble and bass is very good. These would be great for classical music.

I tested a santana DVD and they also sound great with this too.

I am well impressed with these and they are virutally the same as listening to dolby headphone.

The only difference is the centre channel is a little lower on the sonys, not much, but sometimes you notice. Bizzarely, when i watched the simpsons using DPL2/analogue, the centre was fine.

I would rate these very highly and they sound virtually identical to the pioneers i listened to.

My only complaint is the centre seems a little low compared to the other channels and i miss having a sunbwoofer. But most of the time the bass is really good. Depends on the film.

6. tulloch2003

tulloch2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    @ Honglong which are the better headphones for music and movies of the 2 please.

Regards Tulloch

7. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I am new to this headphones things.

So are there any other headphone sets that actually take and decode Dolby Digital (or DTS) and send it to the phones?

Is it the same as using a normal set of headphones, just plugged in from your amp??

What do most Home Cinema fans do for 5.1 headphones?? :confused:

8. Eraserhead

Eraserhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    5.1 headphones is rather gimmicky thing if you realize how many ears you have...;)

You can achieve surround sound impression using headphones if sound is properly mixed and then some form of cross-feed is applied. You do not need 5 cones sitting half inch from your ear for that. This is just an opinion based on auditioning cheap 5.1 usb headsets. I am sure with more expansive models quality is there, but I still doubt it makes sense to pay for 10 little cones instead of 2 as in normal headphones.

As for Dolby Decoding - this has nothing to do with headphones. Some manufacturers bundle DACs with decoding chips and 10+ cone surround headphones. It does not make poor headphones sound better.
    Dolby Digital is an algorithm for compression of surround sound so that it fits limited bandwidth of digital connection. Surround sound meaning there are 6 independent channels. You do not necessarily need them to feed 2 headphones.

If you connect regular headphones to regular amp with good headphone out or a dedicated headphone amp it will sound way better.

9. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

Thanks I get it. It will sound better!

I really want the Pioneer SE-DIR800C; but I seem to have trouble locating any UK Product! The Sony ones are more common and it looks like I might have to settle for those.

10. Scottish Gear

Scottish Gear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a pair of the Sony's, they are pretty good at most tasks, you do notice the difference when watching something in 5.1 as apposed to regular headphones but Eraserhead is right there is no substitute for a full 5.1 system.

Honglong have you tried using them with a regular set of rechargeable batteries? According to the manual you can only use the custom Sony batteries which only they sell.

11. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I just ordered the Sony MDR-DS3000. Hopefully it will be with me soon.

No, I wouldn't expect anything at the moment to substitute a full 5.1 speaker system. But I think it can definitely be done at a great expense, after all we only have two ears at all times! ;)

But headphone technology is not there yet.

12. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I recieved my Sony MDRDS-3000 headphones and I am charging them up!

In the instruction manuel it say that I can buy an 3 line input and an 2 line out Optical selector. This is exactly what I need!!!

Does anyone know where I can buy an Sony SB-D30 optical selector or any other 3 in/2 out optical slection box??? :lease:

13. JTinKaz

JTinKaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any news on this?

14. clearsound

clearsound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Complete newbie, I am being real basic here, Please could you tell me how you connect them especialy with the optical selector?
    Being optical, are they plugged into the optical port on a Sky HD box, or into an optical amlifier?
    Thanks Brian.

15. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Not sure what you mean.

Right now when I need to use the headphones, I just unplug the optical cable from my home cinema amp and plug straight into the headphone decoder box.

If I had an "3 in 2 out" optical selection box, things would be easier without no unplugging and re-plugging!