1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Sony and their engineers muppets??

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mjn, Mar 11, 2002.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    Ok, after my TV was taken away to have 2 faults fixed on the 23rd Jan 2002......it had to go Sony themselves to be fixed....got it back this weekend 9th March 2002.....took them 6 weeks roughly to sort it out.

And guess what??

Thats right its still faulty!!

Only one of the faults has been fixed. The main fault on the picture was the brightness had gone mad and was at about 500%...this has been cured. BUT.....the other fault which was it didn't switch to widescreen on anamorphic R1/NTSC DVD's, has not been fixed....and why you may ask?

Well when the 2 "engineers/technicians" brought my TV back, they asked me to check it was ok, so i did......first fault, as detailed above had been fixed, and as i tested the widescreen switching problem....it was still there, so i say them look, it still doesn't switch.....their response.....well one guy was too busy looking/playing with my Pronto/Sony amp!!.....and the other guy wasn't that interested and was giving some bullsh*t about how Sony TV's, NEVER EVER switch on widescreen materials by themselves!! His advice was to leave it on SMART, but then i explained that all material is going to be the wrong aspect ratio, as all SMART does is, stretch the material to fill the screen. So there i am, arguing with this guy about how my TV should perform....so i shows him the TV widescreen switching on R2 material, and his response was......"You'll have to phone Sony!!"

So can anybody please tell me, how i can get my Sony TV to switch widescreen mode on R1 anamorphic DVD's......it used to do it....for about 2 and a half years actually!!

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I might be wrong here, but I don't think that UK DVD players send the sync signal for NTSC region1 DVD's to a TV.

My Sony TV (KV32FD1) auto switches when I play PAL disks on my Tag DVD32R, but doesn't with NTSC ones.

I'm sure someone else will reply with the full low down on what causes this, but I think you'll find there isn't a fault with your TV and it auto detecting widescreen modes from region 1 disks.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    but it used to switch on NTSC discs......up to about xmas time last year....so from about March 1999 - xmas 2001.....best part of 3 years, it has switched to widescreen on r1 anamorphic discs...but now it doesn't....its really strange!

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Well, it's got me m8. Sorry.
    Guess you'll just have to set up a macro on your Pronto (as I have) to cycle through the modes to wide when you want to view a region 1 disk.