Are Sony and Hitachi Plasma's the same..?

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by tonyh, Sep 17, 2004.

1. tonyh

tonyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm was looking at the Sony KDE-P37XS1 but was put off by the lack of a PC input as I'm planning to run a Windows Media Center box.

However, talking to the guy in the showroom, he said that the Sony plasma used the panel found in the Hitchi models as Sony did not manufacture thier own, just bought them in. He said the only difference was the power supplies, surround and tuners between them.

Does anyone know if this is correct or was he feeding me a line..?

I was looking specifically at the Hitachi 37PD5200 which has both DVI and Analogue inputs - anyone got one of these..? any horror stories..?

Thanks in advance...

2. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They use the same screen.

Koing

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Do a search in the forums for hitachi and buzzing. Maybe that is why Sony use a different PSU.

BTW. Alot of plasma / LCD's share panels but the quality of the picture and the cost of the set can vary dramatically between them. Both these displays use an AliS panel. May be worth doing a search on that too to see if an interlaced panel suits your needs and that you are not being blinded by the numbers game.

-Ian