Question Are some CD players better with CDRs than others?

LJC07

Looking to replace an ageing NAD CD player which no longer works and have been considering either the Marantz CD6007 or Rega Apollo for a while now and can't make up my mind, not helped of course that one can't visit shops for a demo either.

I like the size & styling of the Rega but note Rega say "If playing CDR’s, they must be recorded at no greater than 8x as we cannot guarantee the readability of the disc" whilst Marantz actively promote their player as "Versatile playback for all your audio: Enjoy your CD and CD-R/RW collection"

I have quite a lot of CDRs so wondered if this just different marketing blurb or are some players better suited to playing CDRs than others? I think I've burned mine at the highest speed possible (16x?) but never had a problem playing then on my old NAD.

JBA6

If you refer to other recent discussions on precisely this subject you may conclude that some players are much better suited to CD-R and CD-RW playback than others. If I were you I would stick to a model whose specification includes compatibility with the types of CDs you wish to play. Something like the Marantz CD6007 you mention above or the Arcam CDS50 should have no problem playing your CD-Rs. I would avoid any model that doesn't confirm compatibility with these disc types in their published specification.
JB

dannnielll

Looking to replace an ageing NAD CD player which no longer works and have been considering either the Marantz CD6007 or Rega Apollo for a while now and can't make up my mind, not helped of course that one can't visit shops for a demo either.

I like the size & styling of the Rega but note Rega say "If playing CDR’s, they must be recorded at no greater than 8x as we cannot guarantee the readability of the disc" whilst Marantz actively promote their player as "Versatile playback for all your audio: Enjoy your CD and CD-R/RW collection"

I have quite a lot of CDRs so wondered if this just different marketing blurb or are some players better suited to playing CDRs than others? I think I've burned mine at the highest speed possible (16x?) but never had a problem playing then on my old NAD.
The speed of recording is now irrelevant. If the disc recorded correctly and the buffers did not underflow or overflow when the job was being done..that is all history. But yes the CDR is a complete different technology from a real factory mass produced manufactured CD. Even the physics is different
. The CDR uses a chemical dye inside the disk to change the optical character.. a different level of opaqueness. Different brands use different chemicals, so one disk will work and another might not
The original CD uses a tiny airgap under the aluminium foil to reflect the light backwards with destructive or constructive interference to make bright or dark.. This gives a higher contrast ratio and improved reliability.
So it will be guesswork and trial and error unfortunately.

Gray3

..are some players better suited to playing CDRs than others?
They certainly were in the old days - even though my hundreds of CDRs have all been recorded at normal speed on a CD recorder.
My 19 year old Marantz CD6000KI has, 'CDR-W playback' printed on the front, which shows what a big deal that was in 2002 (and a feature I really needed).

Someone on another forum has recently mentioned inconsistent CDR playback on Rega decks - if they give a warning, it's not for nothing.
With CDRs in your collection, as stated above, go for something that specifically states that it will play them.

gibbsy

I think that Rega players can be, let's say choosy, as to what CDRs that they can play. I had a Marantz cd6006 that didn't have problem. According to my manual my Denon DCD 2500 can play both CDR and CDRW as well, so assume that is the same for all the Denon and Marantz models.

I only use to burn discs for use in the car but I've not had a CDP in a car now for almost ten years with SD cards or thumb drives taking over. The days of a six disc changer under the front passengers seat has gone forever.

LJC07

Thanks all! Went for the Marantz CD6007 & happy with my choice. Of course now I'm going to be looking at updating my amp & speakers ... happy days ;)

Gray3

I only use to burn discs for use in the car but I've not had a CDP in a car now for almost ten years with SD cards or thumb drives taking over. The days of a six disc changer under the front passengers seat has gone forever.
Don't be so sure ;)
There's still the standard six disc CDP in my 2003 Ford Focus - which can't play CDR.
Not bothered though, don't use it at all.
For me it's driving or music, never both together.
When I listen, I listen.....never do any type of background music.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom