1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Skylight filters OK for Digital Cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by melliott1963, Oct 28, 2003.

1. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm now a proud owner of a Minolta Dimage A1 :)

When I had an SLR, I always protected my lenses by fitting a skylight filter. If I fit a skylight filter to my A1, will this be OK, or could it affect the processing of the image colours? Are skylight filters only any use with 'real' film? If so, what would you suggest I could use as an alternative to protect my lense?

Thanks for your help.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    No reason not to use one - A digital camera sees the world in a similar fashion to a film camera so a UV filter should have no detrimental effect (I always had one on my E10 until I sold it & intend to have one on my 300D).

I have always carried UV, Circular Polariser & Neutral Density filters. Red filters are useful for BW, Opaque for Infra red (if your camera is IR sensitive). The rest are of little use for digital cameras.

3. acucobol

acucobol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a UV filter with my Minolta 7hi. Mainly to protect the main lens.

4. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for putting my mind to rest. I just didn't like the thought of getting a decent camera and then messing up my shots by using a filter.

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just watch out for vignette effects with filters, buy the thinnnest, most expensive one you can afford.

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had bought a Jessops Skylight filter (I must admit that I was not sure whether this would be OK or not) and took about 70 shots over the weekend. I can't say that I noticed any vignette effects at all. The only 'strange' thing I did notice was once, when I was taking a photo of my son sitting on one of those small trains you get at amusement parks, there were a lot of diagonal lines being reflected off the locomotive when looking through the viewfinder. However, the actually photo that came out, did not have them, so I assume this is something to do with the EVF on the A1 rather than the filter.