1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Sky telepathic!!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by malcom, Mar 22, 2002.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For the past few day's I have been wrestling with the idea of getting Sky+ (Hence my recent postings). I have had sky digital for about 2 years and have never had a tele sales call from them until yesterday, are they telepathic i wonder :)

However they were not trying to sell me Sky+ . It was about a £60 per year maintenance cover. At least that's how the phone conversation started. I then said I was considering Sky+ and do you have any info you could send to me! The reply was "No I don't" and thank you very much and the caller just backed away from any further sales pitch.

Now i am wondering! Was that a call from Sky or someone trying to sell private insurance cover for Sky digi boxes only. They had no info on Sky+ and were not interested in supplying any ecouragement for me to purchase a Sky+ product. Anyone else had such a telephone sales pitch.

P.S. if you have got this far with my rambling! Does anyone have any experience using the JVC HDD/S-VHS combo recorder, and any comments on it's HDD recording quality versus the Sky+ box. Regards. malcom.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I can only talk about the Sky+ but I have to say its worth every penny! I could not do without it - recording is so simple (remember, this is a combined sat receiver and HDD recorder). SVHS looks crap compared to it, never mind VHS - I'll NEVER use a video tape again as long as I live!

You can also change the drive to increase the storage from approx 20hrs (which I have never exceeded despite recording numerous programmes I never usually bother with) upto I think 130 hours - WOW!

Get it, you won't regret it.
    Regards,
    Paul

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    malcom, if you are interested in buying Skyplus+, wait until 26th March when the new £100 reduction will apply. The offer will run until 4th June.
    The JVC HM-HDS1 works really well, but lacks the convenience of the Skyplus+ EPG recording, which is fantastic.
    Tivo is also useful, I use mine as a doorstop since I've had Skyplus+. Only kidding, but if you like the idea of Tivo, everyone is more or less clearing them, so £99 upwards is a fantastic price, considering I paid £229.00. See the Tivo community threads, as suggested by delta.

5. Davo

Davo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that true?? I have just ordered from Sky :(

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The April edition of the Sky magazine is still quoting £300 for the box and £50 install.

7. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Malcom,
    I have one of these and am very impressed with it.(dont have $ky+ to compare it to though) It does have its limitations and its own liitle quirks, but I guess they can't please everyone all of the time, It's picture is good, dependant on what you feed it, itvd can sometimes look a little suspect (i think thats the platform not the recorder !) best thing i can suggest is go and see it in shop, read intruction book and make sure all combinations of hook-ups you need are supported. some more usefull features included selectable live memory time period, record on hdd and watch video at same time, auto sat recording - you set timer on settop box and then switch it off press button on jvc machine and whenever settop box comes on hdd starts to record. bad points - 2 sec delay on hdd 'live' memory viewing so channel surfing not really practical, slightly noisey fan (after 1 year warranty is up i will be sourcing a newer design of fan). has issues with some settop boxes in relation to 'IR sender - ie it dont work! itvd mainly) any questions pse email me i'll be happy to answer

gunslinger
    p.s dont pay £1000 for it shop around i paid 750

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Heard the price reduction was only to retailers not the public:(