Are Sky telepathic!!!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by malcom, Mar 22, 2002.

1. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For the past few day's I have been wrestling with the idea of getting Sky+ (Hence my recent postings). I have had sky digital for about 2 years and have never had a tele sales call from them until yesterday, are they telepathic i wonder :)

However they were not trying to sell me Sky+ . It was about a £60 per year maintenance cover. At least that's how the phone conversation started. I then said I was considering Sky+ and do you have any info you could send to me! The reply was "No I don't" and thank you very much and the caller just backed away from any further sales pitch.

Now i am wondering! Was that a call from Sky or someone trying to sell private insurance cover for Sky digi boxes only. They had no info on Sky+ and were not interested in supplying any ecouragement for me to purchase a Sky+ product. Anyone else had such a telephone sales pitch.

P.S. if you have got this far with my rambling! Does anyone have any experience using the JVC HDD/S-VHS combo recorder, and any comments on it's HDD recording quality versus the Sky+ box. Regards. malcom.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I can only talk about the Sky+ but I have to say its worth every penny! I could not do without it - recording is so simple (remember, this is a combined sat receiver and HDD recorder). SVHS looks crap compared to it, never mind VHS - I'll NEVER use a video tape again as long as I live!

You can also change the drive to increase the storage from approx 20hrs (which I have never exceeded despite recording numerous programmes I never usually bother with) upto I think 130 hours - WOW!

Get it, you won't regret it.
    Regards,
    Paul

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    malcom, if you are interested in buying Skyplus+, wait until 26th March when the new £100 reduction will apply. The offer will run until 4th June.
    The JVC HM-HDS1 works really well, but lacks the convenience of the Skyplus+ EPG recording, which is fantastic.
    Tivo is also useful, I use mine as a doorstop since I've had Skyplus+. Only kidding, but if you like the idea of Tivo, everyone is more or less clearing them, so £99 upwards is a fantastic price, considering I paid £229.00. See the Tivo community threads, as suggested by delta.

5. Davo

Davo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that true?? I have just ordered from Sky :(

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The April edition of the Sky magazine is still quoting £300 for the box and £50 install.

7. gunslinger

gunslinger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Malcom,
    I have one of these and am very impressed with it.(dont have $ky+ to compare it to though) It does have its limitations and its own liitle quirks, but I guess they can't please everyone all of the time, It's picture is good, dependant on what you feed it, itvd can sometimes look a little suspect (i think thats the platform not the recorder !) best thing i can suggest is go and see it in shop, read intruction book and make sure all combinations of hook-ups you need are supported. some more usefull features included selectable live memory time period, record on hdd and watch video at same time, auto sat recording - you set timer on settop box and then switch it off press button on jvc machine and whenever settop box comes on hdd starts to record. bad points - 2 sec delay on hdd 'live' memory viewing so channel surfing not really practical, slightly noisey fan (after 1 year warranty is up i will be sourcing a newer design of fan). has issues with some settop boxes in relation to 'IR sender - ie it dont work! itvd mainly) any questions pse email me i'll be happy to answer

gunslinger
    p.s dont pay £1000 for it shop around i paid 750

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Heard the price reduction was only to retailers not the public:(