Are Sky Q boxes inherently rubbish?

I had Q for a couple of years and aside from my first 2Tb v2 box having a noisy clicky hard drive, the v3 that replaced it was absolutely fine. I don't think it ever needed a reboot. I never used the apps on it but the general day to day recording and playback was problem-free. I had it hard wired to my router (I have an ethernet switch behind the TV) so on-demand downloads were fine too.
Compared to the 2Tb Sky+HD box it replaced and the Manhattan T3-R Freeview recorder which replaced it, the Q box was definitely noisier overall. Not disturbingly so, just irritating in the way that the hard drive would spin up randomly throughout the day (for housekeeping no doubt) even when the box was in standby.
I never had mini boxes, just the main Q box, but it was a fine bit of kit and it did everything we wanted it to very well. I don't miss it at all though. Since switching to streaming full time on a 500Mbps symmetrical fibre line, using an Apple TV 4K box, everything just feels much quicker and quieter with no spinning hard drives at all.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom