1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Screenselect ripping us off?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by pmc, Aug 11, 2005.

1. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I have been with Screenselect for about 6 months. Signed up for the 3 at one time with unlimited per month deal. I don't think they do it totally unlimited anymore, there is a cap on how many rentals you get a month now. But since I'm already signed up there is nothing they do about it. Or is there?

For the last couple of months I've noticed that loads of DVD's that I send back 'get lost in post'. You have to wait 5 working days before you can report them missing so it slows down your turnaround pretty badly. I can't believe as many are going missing as I am seeing. One or two every now and again sure, but this is something like 50% of the DVD's I return. If it's true it must be costing them a fortune. They have never pulled me up about it either. If it was just me you would think they would.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Screenselect are sh*te mate :mad: - bin 'em and save yourself the aggravation. Do a search and you'll find older threads about the disappointing service of these type of companies (including other DVD rental companies, in fairness).

dr_m

3. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovefilm used a similar trick delaying films! trust me if your turnaround was much lower they miraculously return them faster

4. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sounds like it's pretty standard behaviour then.

5. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I was with Lovefilm and they were good to start then slowed down, then lost films. Have moved to Screenselect and they are fine at the moment, but as soon as they start slowing down I'll move to another one.

From what I read in past posts it seems they look after new customer then the people who only watch the odd movie and hand on to the disk for ages. Those who try to make the most of the deal with quick turnaround get shafted.

6. Charlton Fan

Charlton Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    To be fair to Lovefilm, when the slow-down and lost DVDs happened to me, they extended my billing dates each time by a couple of days after I complained. Might be worth trying this with Screen Select.

Chris

7. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lovefilm did no such thing for me, I complained and complained the only thing that sped up things was by hanging on to the DVDs longer

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    No complaints here - have been with Screenselect for ages now, and I'm comfortably getting 2 DVDs a week, and no problems with returns. I've had a couple go missing, and I'm pretty sure I know why that was (company post room - all the DVDs I left in there never made it back).

So I like the service, but they're not doing themselves any favours by sending everything out in such obvious packaging. I'd guess that something a bit more anonymous would result in fewer items being 'lost' on the way back.

Cheers, Carl.

9. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I've tried loads of rental companies and here's my thoughts :

Sainsbury's (Love Film) - teriffic service during free trial then abysmal after that

Blockbuster - Have nearly everything but rarely get anything at the top of your queue. Turnaround of discs is pretty good

Tesco (Video Island) - Great during trial, slow afterwards with no chance of getting your top picks

DVDS365 - Were probably the best I've tried but still had problems especially if you returned a disc on a Friday. They have now been swallowed up by Screen Select and so far they have been very good. Mind you the first payment to them is not due for another week so I'll wait and see what happens when they start taking my money

10. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    I gave up with Lovefilm as their service became abysmal and some weeks I only got 1 DVD a=when I was supposed to be on 3 unlimited. I tried Blockbuster but canceled with them after 2 weeks as they sent 1 wring disc and 1 broken one during this period :mad:
    I was about to try screenselect, but might wait and see what others think.

11. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Gash! The last thing I want to read is problems with Screenselect. I've just binned Lovefilm after 3 happy years.

If the business model they are working to isn't profitable, then put the prices up or limit the number of rentals, but for the love of god, let us the customers know clearly what's happening.

12. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    My first couple of weeks with Screenselect has been a good experience, and I really like their search facilities on the site and the ability to get them to send a box set in order. Thumbs up with fingers crossed so far from me !

13. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never liked screenselect.

14. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Well now they've cancelled my account. What a load of bs.

15. LFC

LFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From my experience all the rental companies have these kind of problems, i have used both screenselect and blockbuster. Both very good during free trial with service trailing off th elonger you stay with them. And major problems getting the titles you want.
    It would not be hard for them to change their model to improve service, allowing you to define one your rental slots for a certain title would help as you either have the 2-3 dvd you actually wnat on your list and wait for them to get posted or have loads of title and constantly be sent the crap at the bottom of your list.
    In the end get what you can out of the free trials and move on.

16. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,962
    The service I'm getting from them is definately slowing down now. All 3 titles have been "Awaiting allocation" for the last 2 days - I'd hardly call that unlimited !

17. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    How many in your queue though ? As long as I keep mine topped up, I've had no problems at all.

18. rb5201

rb5201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Been with screenselect for about 4 months now, average 2 films a week, have never waited more than 3 days for a return after postage, normally 2. Very pleased so far, hope I stay happy! :)

19. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I've switched to Blockbuster and mysteriously the local sorting office has stopped losing loads of DVD's. Who would have thought it. :rolleyes:

20. stig_eye

stig_eye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a member of blockbuster until one of the customer service let it slip that they were only going to despatch three films per week instead of the unlimited rentals that i had signed up for. I then joined screenselect for the second time and now all i get is awaiting allocation everytime one of my films are returned, i have also noticed that i am now receiving none of my priority films even though according to screenselects litely wait system there should be no delay. I also have a friend whom is with screenselect and has a list of over 450 films with them but is still having to wait one or two days for allocation. They have recently stopped processing film despatches on a weekend to slow down turnaround , this followed blockbusters decision to do the same hence the reason to switch to love films and when they start to play up i shall then return to one of the others as unfortunately they do look after new customers better than long time members.:mad:

21. Bepster

Bepster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Have been with Screenselect for 4 months now and have had no problems whatsoever.

Latest example being 3 discs sent back on Monday and I received my next 3 this morning !!!

Also have never had a problem with my priorites because I only ever put them into the first or the last of the catergories.

:thumbsup: from me so far......

22. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I joined a three at a time package on Friday and by 4 o'clock on the Monday only one of those 3 DVDs has been sent. Do they not work at the weekend? Is this typical service?

23. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    They don't work weekends.

The rest will depend on the length of your queue. If you've only got 3 things on there, and all 3 are out, you'll get nowt. Shocking news: they don't have an infinite supply of each title.

I've been with them for nearly a year now. Just renewed on an annual pre-pay as it happens - 3 months free as a result, I'm happy with the service and confident that they aren't stiching me up. But you only get full value if you keep your queue full - and to their credit, they remind you when it isn't.

When my queue is short, or just full of new releases, I'll sometimes be without. When my queue is full, their turnaround is very quick - I'm on two-at-a-time, and can comfortably get through four a week when there's lots to choose from.

That they have most TV series works well for me - West Wing, Sopranos and Firefly have kept me in DVDs for several months now (to the point that I no longer watch any series on TV - no ads, no dogs ... bliss :)).

Cheers, Carl.

24. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  25. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a queue of 100 plus including pre-order titles.

26. Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I've used almost every rental company during the past 12 months and the pattern is quite similar at all of them, give or take.

I've found that at Blockbuster, Screenselect and Lovefilm, turnaround is quite good during the first two weeks of a 1 month subscription, yet during the second two weeks the turnaround almost certainly grinds to a halt, regardless of how many titles you have in your list.

I'm currently using Blockbuster for the third time (the best of a really bad bunch) and have averaged 5 titles per week during the first two weeks but yet again, by the end of week 3, turnaround has almost stopped, despite the fact i have almost 30 titles in my list!

Ok, so by the time i'm done i will have had around 15 titles during the month, which works out at just £1 per film and that's still pretty good value. However, with the speed i have retuned dvds and the comprehensive selection of films in my list, i could have been sent at least another 10 dvds quite easily.

So despite claims of 'unlimited' rentals and encouragement from the companies to return your dvds as quickly as possible so they can send your next titles, there does appear to be a limit to how many they will actually send you.

27. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Well I'm back with Screen Select again :eek: After 3 months with Blockbuster (for the second time) I gave up with them.

As a lots of posts here suggest things start off well and then go downhill. With Blockbuster I was on their 5 disc package with over 100 titles in my queue and was luck to get 2-3 discs a week at the end,

So far the past month with Screen Select has been fine, getting 6-7 discs a week but I'm sure that will soon start to trial off and then I'll be looking to jump ship yet again....:suicide:

28. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny you're getting 6 - 7 discs a week? Are you sleeping with someone who dispatches in their sorting office?

I have to agree with most people that screen select are reasonable at the beginning of your time with the company. To begin with I was receiving 4 - 5 DVDs per week which I was perfectly happy with until they start receiving the DVDs and leave it a day or two before allocating more.

What I have found the most disappointing is even though they have supplied me with my priority discs I haven't had a sniff of new releases. Ironically some of those titles have that little orange marker indicating you shouldn't have to wait long for them, yet they are never sent. Since joining my list of titles has been at the minimum 100 titles and has gradually grown to the point of over 200 DVDs on my list.Now if I'm lucky I get three DVDs a week which wouldn't be too bad if they actually supplied me with newer releases but they don't.

I have to say that I think they're queuing system is awful I can't see why they can't say No. 1 is the most important on the list and then go down to the next available and highest in your que. That way you can prioritise every DVD.

Update: having just checked what they have just sent they are now sending me from pile three, which are basically the lowest on my list. I have to say I find it completely unlikely that they don't have any of the 180 DVDs in my top two priority piles to need to choose one from pile three.

29. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    West

They are all the same, great service for a couple of months and then things slow down big time.

I've not had a priority selection in over a month but still have been recieving two batches a week. However I did send 3 discs back on Saturday and they have still to be listed as returned. I'll check later this morning.

I fear that I will be changing suppliers yet again very soon :eek:

30. west

west

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kenny

It looks like I will probably also be leaving screen select in 25 days after noticing they picked another lowest priority DVD. I could understand if I only had 30 or 40 DVDs on my list but I have over 200. The question is why are we not receiving our highest priority DVDs (basically the new ones)? :mad: