1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are RPTV's worth it? Viewing angle etc.?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Cag, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've looked in shops etc. & noticed the viewing angle is not great. Any feedback

2. 38H21543

38H21543

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My tour of the showrooms suggests newer CRT models, and LCD/DLP are now very good horizontally, but not so good vertically. This is less of an issue if you are sitting to watch and the tv is at eye level. Some mainstream showrooms are really bad for placing sets high up on shelving where the vertical angle is then unrealistic.
    See also my post above on Samsung.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As 38H says,the horizontal viewing angle is not so muchof an issue now,although vertical angle can be more limited....I've got a Toshiba which I'm very happy with,and in the average living room,vertical viewing angle isnt a problem at all,unless you do all your viewing standing up!

The other problem with shop viewing is the quality of the video feed which is generally awful,and will make even the best sets look bad.....get the salesperson to hook up a DVD player to the TV and sit down at a suitable position before deciding.

4. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Love my Sony RPTV. Picture is bright, sharp, detailed, natural, and artifact free - never fails to impress me. Horizontal viewing angle is excellent. Vertical angle is tight, but it's never been an issue for me as I always sit down when watching it.

5. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm thinking of getting one as I have just got a Sky plasma & am not convinced with the PQ on Sky digital & I'm considering sending it back but I still want a big TV!!!!

6. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Cag if your ever around Leeds im thinking of selling my Sony KP41DS1U your more than welcome to come and have a look at it.
    If you dont fancy it no worries, at least you can see how one looks when set up correctly.

BTW (mods) i hope this is allowed if not please remove and accept my appologies.

John.

7. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PQ on Sky can be dodgy at the best of times, but I'm not convinced by plasma screens either, as any I've seen suffer from noise, banding, poor blacks, aliasing and other artifacts.

I have a KP44PS2 which has brilliant service level convergence, an MPEG noise reduction filter, and Sony's DRC-MF resolution enhancer. Got it from www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk for £999 (was £2800 when it came out).