Are recordings on HDD lost when contract is terminated

john buoy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have had a Sky contract for the past 10 years and I am now finally thinking of terminating the contract. I have a sky plus HD box, and I have been told that Sky don’t ask you to return the box to them, however I have heard that once you terminate the contract, the recordings that you have made on your hard disk cannot be viewed. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
Regards
John

Normally you can only view programs that you have a subscription for.

I think (though I'm not 100% certain) that you should be able to view any free channel programmes that you have recorded... but any subscription only channel programmes will be unwatchable.

Hi everyone
I have had a Sky contract for the past 10 years and I am now finally thinking of terminating the contract. I have a sky plus HD box, and I have been told that Sky don’t ask you to return the box to them, however I have heard that once you terminate the contract, the recordings that you have made on your hard disk cannot be viewed. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?
Regards
John

Sorry but that is correct, you LOSE the ability to play back existing recordings and use "Live Pause" etc.

Your box is effectively converted to a Freesat from Sky box from a Sky+HD box. If you leave your viewing card in it will still decrypt a few remaining encrypted but free channels.

You should be able to re-instate the Sky+HD features of your box (without a TV subscription) if you are willing to pay Sky around £11 per month for the privilege.

Graham.

Not sure that the last can still be done.

Thanks for your very prompt replies. Yes, that's just what I thought. It is a bit of a "duller", so I suppose I had better get cracking and copy my recordings onto my HDD drive on my DVD recorder before I hand in my notice.
John

how much are you transferring ? you realise its not as simple as drag n drop ?

how much are you transferring ? you realise its not as simple as drag n drop ?

Sorry, I am not explaining myself properly. I am copying, or is the word recording, using a SCART Cable from my skybox to the hard disc on my Panasonic EX77 DVD recorder. I realise that this will take some time as it will be done in real time and it will not be possible to copy in fast mode.

Yes, FTA of course, but can it be done now?
They don't mention it anywhere.

Thanks for that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom