Question Are QLED TV's 4K ?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Jul 27, 2018.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's come time for me to look at purchasing a new HD TV. I'd like something between 60 and 65 inches, I'm not quite sure what the difference between QLED and 4K is, if someone can answer that for me it will be a start.

I also wouldn't mind any recommendations on a new Samsung HDTV, I like to get the best TV for the price without spending thousands of dollars. For example, if I can get a very good QLED or 4K HD TV that is a Samsung that has at least four HDMI inputs I will be happy.

It doesn't have to be a futuristic TV as long as it's something very current. Of course, I want to pay as little as possible and get as much as possible just like anybody else.

I appreciate the help and the explanation that anybody offers

2. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +436
    Welcome to the confusing land of TV's! All you need to know is there are too many confusing labels we use, and I’ll do my best to explain!

Firstly, we have tv types. This is how the picture is created
    LED/LCD - most TVs, likely the one you have now, is what we call an LCD TV. This uses a backlight, firing light through an LCD panel, giving you the picture. Pros are that they can get very bright and colourful, downsides are that because they can’t turn off large areas of the screen to create black, contrast is poor, and brightness, colour etc drop off at an angle
    OLED- a new tv technology used, made by LG (who then source panels to Sony, Panasonic and Philips amongst others) which uses ‘self emissive’ pixels. Basically, each pixel makes its own light, meaning that contrast between pixels is amazing, blacks are true black, colours are natural and viewing angles stay the same for 178 degrees. Cons are that generally they can’t get as bright as LED, and if used on static content for extended periods, you risk something called burn in.
    QLED- this is not a tv technology as such, more an image enhancement. Only sold by Samsung, it is an even brighter and more colourful version of an LCD tv

Now that’s out the way, what’s UHD, 4K, HDR?

Firstly, we have 3 standards of definition
    SD - known as <=576i/p content, really low resolution. Old TV and poorer quality TV channels use this.
    HD - 720-1080i/p, known as high definition, most modern tv and film is shot and shown in this. Blu-Ray films.
    UHD, 4K/2160i/p - both mean the same, showing detail up to 4x what HD was capable, known as 2160p - available from Netflix, UHD blu Ray, YouTube etc

Finally, HDR isn’t too much of a worry, to put simply, this is where we make the brights look even brighter and the darks even darker with even more colour.

Generally speaking, OLED is regarded as having the best picture quality. However, because of its complexity and newness, it’s still quite expensive. Can’t speak for the USA, but in the UK an OLED tv of the size you’re looking at comes in at £2500-3500, compared with £1200-1800 for a conventional LED tv.

Generally we would recommend mid range Sony or Samsung sets if you wanted to stay with LCD tech, but hopefully this has briefly explained tv tech.

Any questions just shout!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2018
  3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Edited the last post and tidied it a little.

LED is not a type of TV but a way of lighting behind an LCD TV.

4. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First of all, thank you for taking the time to explain to me the differences In different style TVs. My confusion wasn't between LCD and LED it was more about the newer TVs and was the Q LED and that 4K different as the LCD and LEDs were.

My current HDTV is the Samsung UN60EH6000, in general, it works fine but my problem is I have too many devices to connect to it.

I have the following devices that need to connect to my HDTV
    Roku
    Hopper3
    DVD surround sound system
    PS4
    Xbox 360

I was thinking if I get a smart TV I can eliminate the input for the Roku So I need a Smart TV with at least 3 HDMI inputs. I am partial to Samsung, I've never had a smart TV before because I didn't know enough about them and heard rumors or facts about them having cameras etc. However if now I'm looking for a new TV and I currently have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Roku, It only makes sense to go with a smart TV.

So I guess I'd like some opinions ( I am located in the US ) on the best Samsung 60 inch or 65 inches if the price is better that gives me the best for the money. Back in the day when there were plasmas, I chose to go with LCDs because I don't want to ever have to deal with burn-issues. The same goes for now, I would like to update my current TV because currently, I'm using an HDMI switch for all my devices and one HDMI going into the TV from the switch. I've had a few issues since I started using this HDMI 5 into one switch with my hopper3, it's been saying that my signal was lost when there's no weather in the area, so it has to be something to do with the switch. I have another five into one HDMI switch that I could switch out and see if that solves my problem. I think it's time to replace this TV that was a 2012 model with a newer more current one which will solve all my issues.

So I would appreciate if somebody could give me some suggestions on the Samsung HDTV that has at least three HDMI inputs and it gives me the best features for the money. I've read quite a bit about the Q LEDs and not sure that I need to go that route so what would be the next best for the money?

5. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've done some research and found this TV and would like some opinions on it.
    Samsung - 65" Class - LED - NU8000 Series - 2160p Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

• Model: UN65NU8000FXZA

what do you think??

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Can you get hold of last years models at a discount instead? Potentially you can pay less for more quality if you buy from the ranges from the year before.

I moved this to the what is the best TV for you section since I think it's more relevant.

See if models like the Samsung Q7F, Q7C, Q8F, Q8C, Q9F, Q9C are still available . Suffix F and C for the 2017 models refers to flat or curved. (not suffix of FN or CN as they are 2018 models)

Other models would be the Samsung MU8000, MU8500 and MU9000 and see what prices you can get for them.

There is also the Sony X850E which is on a par with the NU8000 and may be cheaper since its a last year model.

The Sony X900E should also be considered, even the new X900F may be better value for picture quality compared to the new Samsung NU8000.

Let us know the prices you can get for these TVs.

Also it would be good to know if you really need a TV of this calibre? What will you use the TV for mainly? Do you have interest in HDR?

7. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the great info I will look into it. I've done a lot of research over the last 24 hours and what was going to be an exciting venture for me in getting a new up-to-date TV since my last one is a 2012 model is now turning into be a little bit of a disappointment.

I never really knew much about smart TVs because I didn't need all those features. Now in researching about them in finding out many things that alarmed me and I'm hoping that it sounds worse than it is. A few things that I've read is,

1. You can get spam while you watch TV now, I mean unwanted ads of course.
    2. I also read that smart TVs are basically run by an operating system of the manufacturer and they collect data on you and sell it. I don't think I'm too keen on that idea, I hope there are ways to dumb it down. I read the easiest way to do it is just disconnected from the Internet, But isn't that was smart TV is bought for "the Internet " so you don't have to have all the different apps like Roku or Apple TV etc. but that's not really important to me because I'm a dish network customer, on the hopper3 It has most of the apps that I use and I believe it's going to be getting Amazon prime soon which I now use a Roku for.

So basically nowadays it seems like you have to pay for a "smart TV" and then disconnected from the Internet if you don't want to be bombarded by ads.

I guess when you look at it this way, six years ago I bought my current TV and paid about $1300 and right now I can get the 65" Class NU8000 Premium Smart 4K UHD TV For $1300. So I'll be getting a current TV with 4K to watch all my content and play my video games and have the access to the Internet in the TV if I want to be spammed.

I guess that I'm very new to smart TVs I know they've been around for quite a while the last time I bought a TV I chose not to buy a smart TV. In my thinking correctly if not please enlighten me because what I've just written above I would like to think it isn't so.

Sorry I rambled on quite a bit there.

8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Well if you have concerns regarding privacy then you can't really use smart TV. Samsung in particular have been bashed in the past for ads and using user info/usage to help improve their advertising or products but that isn't really too different from any company I think.

This would be a good place to search for a TV that lets you opt out to ads or doesn't have ads at all:

Ads in Smart TVs

But I think still they will collect usage information etc, no different from google or apple for example. Even Roku have the option to disable/enable usage info in the settings I think.

You can't use smart TV without being connected to the internet so those that disconnect their smart TV are those that don't use it at all.

My suggestion would be to keep smart TV separate anyway, I don't think any inbuilt smart TV is as good as Roku (maybe the Roku TVs) but then of course you use 1x HDMI.

Pricing is very different where you are, $1300 for the NU8000 at 65" isn't bad at all.

9. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you saying that buying a Smart TV and don't use the smart TV part, instead use Roku or Amazon Fire Stick?? Or are you saying just deal with the fact that my info will be collected like it is everywhere else, Cell phone, Computer browsing the Internet etc?

One other thing I didn't mention that I read that a lot of Samsung customers last the use of their SmartTV's after a firmware update?? it had to be temporary right? not that temporary is good either but better than a trashed TV.

10. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You have to think of it this way, is the car stereo and speakers in a new car going to be equal in quality to custom fit ones? Are a car company going to invest as much time and research into making the audio great compared to the car itself?

The same applies to smart TV built in to TVs. It is only ever something that has been built into the TV and it comes with its downsides for that reason. If instead you use something built explicitly for the purpose of smart TV (eg roku/Apple TV) then you know that you are probably less likely to have problems.

This is one of the problems that can occur, not just with Samsung but any TV company for that matter. If you want to know my opinion, based also on what other users remark on the forum, Samsung's smart TV is one of the better products, it runs quite well and its pretty intuitive and bug free. Is it better than a dedicated solution? Perhaps not, but a lot of people use it without using something else.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be so sure that you can dump the Roku, you may find it does things better than built in smart TV and if you do come across a bug, with the Roku at least you know you have something that always will work.

The privacy discussion is a different matter and probably doesn't really belong in this section, different people make of what they want from data sharing/advertising etc, people have different opinions of where privacy starts and ends. Samsung, much like Facebook, Google, Apple etc all say the same. They use your info to target ads towards you. They say it is used in anonymous manner and not shared with others. Whether its ads or usage data the disclaimers are always the same. Whether you trust one company over another with that data and you trust what they say is true is another thing. That is why there was recently news about Facebook sharing data with a 3rd party, its against privacy law and they let their users down. Will Samsung ever do that? Who knows.

11. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, you cleared up my confusion and I feel better knowing the Smart TV's don't do anything that our computers and other devices connected to the Internet already does.