Are QED XLR cables any good?

zepherman

I’m currently assembling a 2 channel system in my bedroom. It will have the following:

Speakers: Martin Logan Scenario ESL (already own)

Subwoofers: A/D/S MS3, Definitive Technology Prosub 800. (already own both)

Preamplifier: Sunfire Theater Grand III (already own)

Power amplifier: Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 (to be purchased soon)

Music Streamer: Atoll Electronique ST200 Signature (already own)

Surge Protector/Conditioner: Panamax MR5100 (already own)

Interconnect cables: Mogami 2497 with Eminence Gold locking RCA connectors (already own)

Speaker cables: SVS Soundpath Ultra (already own)

When I get the Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 amplifier, I will need some quality balanced XLR cables to go from the Sunfire preamp to the Anthem amplifier. I like the QED Reference Analog 40 XLR, but not sure just how good these are.

While these are pricey, they’re not as expensive as say Audioquest cables. Is the quality of QED on par with Audioquest? Or should I scratch QED and just go with something less expensive like Mogami Gold XLR cables. Just want to get some input from you all.

Thanks!

DT79

Distinguished Member
If you want to make sure you’re getting the best cables, go with what the pros use. Mogami or Van Damme are safe bets. Surprise surprise, they don’t cost a fortune either.

larkone

Copper cable (OFC) works really well - whether you want to pay for additional and very expensive marketing is another matter.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I’d go with Mogami (a brand not well known to the Hifi community but very well respected in the sound recording industry).

JohnnyNapalm

I run Mogami between my Pre and Power. Used to use expensive Van Den Hul's but cannot tell any difference. Weird how you believe something sounds very different from day to day. I have sort of given up on the great cable debate and go for interconnects that look well made etc.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member

zepherman

A lot of praise for Mogami (and Van Damme). Thanks for the input everyone! Looks like I’ll most likely get some Mogami cables with Neutrik XLR ends.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Although they're a little more than the Van Damme Cable, I'd also recommend our Fisual Havana XLR Interconnects which uses heavy graded copper cabling and Neutrik XLR plugs. These are hand built to order and compared to other brands are very open and transparent

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Although they're a little more than the Van Damme Cable, I'd also recommend our Fisual Havana XLR Interconnects which uses out heavy graded copper cabling and Neutrik XLR plugs. These are hand built to order and compared to other brands are very open and transparent

Dude... you had me until the second half of your last sentence.

It was all going so well.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom