1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are PSP's Fragile? ...USA or Japanese?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by dealmaker, Apr 26, 2005.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Looking to buy a PSP for my son's b'day present.

I've seen on a few US websites, comments from individuals saying that the PSP is fragile and that if you drop it once it's dead! As this is for my son it's a fact of life that he will evetually drop it - is it likely to break or are these scaremongers simply DS fans trying to berrate the PSP? I dont want to buy him one if it's not designed for use by real-life kids.

Also am I better off getting him a USA version or the more common Japanese/Asian unit? - He will use it mainly for games but it would be handy to buy cheap films to keep the kids entertained in the car/on planes/holidays etc etc.

Many thanks for any advice.

2. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I think they are about as vulnerable as anything else. Like anything electrical if dropped from a big enough height it will break. The DS is slightly better due to its clamshell design which stop the screen getting damaged.

As for which one to go for it is personal preference but if you want cheap movies then go for the US one. movietyme.com are sellling it for £215 including a game

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    If you are going to use it for cheap films buy the US machine because at the moment the films are cheap for the US machine roughly around £10 while the fillms for the Japenease machine are round £20.
    The other thing though is if you buy the US machine you wont be able to buy films from the UK when it finally comes out and if ever there was a region lock on a game you would have to buy the US version of the game while Japan and England have the same region code.

The psp screen will scratch easily and if you drop it I am guessing it will damage as the screen is glass, if I drop a mobile phone the chances are it break dpending of course how high you drop it and what it falls on.

Movietyme has the console for £180 value pack or £215 next day delivery with a game. This other site has the Jap machine for £200 next day delivery http://www.videogameimports.com/hw_index.htm

This site is also cheap on Japensea psp machines http://www.lik-sang.com/. I think the machine is great has great games and I have not noticed dead pixels or sticky square button. I dont know if I would buy it for a young boy, depends how he treats his things. I have a nephew who is 7 but I would not buy him one becuase he has 2 older sisters and they would be fighting over whoose turn it is and not sure he would look after it.

4. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I dont think the PSP will last in the hands of a child.

The casing is a perspex type material, so will scratch easily, but I think the the most vulnerable part is probably the rear door. They have quite a delciate mechanism and if you drop it whilst loading a disc, you can kiss the unit goodbye.

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I agree - it's lifespan will be short in the hands of a young child. It's pretty well built but the screen is huge on it and there's a good possibility that will break if it's dropped. If the wrist strap is used then that would help but personally i'd get a DS if I was buying for a youngster.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I was worried about the PSP being fragile but after having one for a couple of weeks I'm surpirsed at how sturdy/solid it is, (after all the Nintendo fans slagging it off, citing the disc eject problem. Even though they'd almost none had ever used/held one). I tried to twist my PSP to make the disc pop out but couldn't actually twist it in the first place. If you are worried then order Logitechs Playgear pocket case as it has a polycarbonite shell that's virtually indistructable, (so they say), and you can actually still play your PSP in the case, (protecting it if your son were to drop it). The lid also swivels 270 deg so that it acts as a stand for watching movies listening to MP3s. Have one on order from www.dvdboxoffice.com for £13 inc del. If you're worried about the screen then order a protective film at the same time. Though I suppose rather than buying an extra case you could just fit the leather strap and make sure people use it so that if dropped it will just hang off the wrist rather than hitting the floor. Works pretty well though I'm very careful so never use it myself, (gets in the way a bit). Still, I'd recomend getting the case as well.

Here's a link to the 'Logitech Playgear Pocket' - Here!

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have to agree with the other posters. It looks pretty fragile to me. If one of these took a heavy hit on a hard floor I cant see it surviving.

Must use wrist strap and a decent case are essentials if a kids going to use it. On the UMD movie region issue AML reckons that even though Japan is Region 2 their DVD movies dont work in standard UK dvd players (Multi region only) so this could also be the case for the PSP UMD movies - no way of knowing until the actual UK psp are available in September :rolleyes:

In any event its clear that as with Dvds the UK PSP UMD movies are going to be much more expensive than the Region 1 discs. Expect retail to be at least £14.99. This being the case if you want the UMD films region 1 is the only way to go. Most of the Region 1 UMD films were available for £5 each shipped orginally with discounts from Dvdsoon. You can still get most of them for £7 shipped even without discounts I believe. Why pay twice as much and wait ages for them to be released ?

The PSP s multi region for games and has a dual voltage psu so which ever unit you get Jap or US you wont have a problem in this regard.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I don't personally think that the the UMD region thing is a problem. With DVD's I now find that I buy just as many (if not more) R3 & R2 as R1 these days are the R3 & R2 ones can often be picked up cheaper than the R1's at places like CD Wow using money off links & vouchers. There is no reason to assume that UMD's will not follow the same path.

I also see it as almost inevitable that there will be a multi region hack. If there isn't then this will become the only film playing optical drive unit that I can think of that hasn't had one. You also have senarios where one regions DVD is far better than the other (Jap R2 Kill Bill 1 for example) and the same may well happen to UMD's.

Regarding durability, I do think that a hard case is essential if a child is using it. The logitech one looks a good buy! :thumbsup: It does seem that it's rather hard to open though.

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I can't really see myself buying any UMD movies for my PSP. I tried to watch Spiderman 2 at work, on the bus etc, but everywhere was just too noisy and people were a distraction in my peripheral vision making it hard to concentrate on the dialogue. TBH, I'd rather watch movies at home in 5.1 on my hdtv lcd than on a 4" screen. Plus my lcd has no dead pixels. :rotfl:

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I still think people are missing the point. You cant get 5.1 and a big screen on a plane :rolleyes: .....The movies are great for when you are traveling and is a really important feature of the device for me. For the last time I am not saying its a replacement for for TV/ Projector etc :rolleyes:

11. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    The PSP is well made - but will break if dropped hard enough, a bigger concern would be screen scratches, as it is well exposed and quite reflective (sratches would make it worse).

PSP games are multi region, movies are not. If you want it for movies and you want them cheap then get a USA version (and import movies from the USA/Canada - they can be had for as little as £7), if you want to buy and watch UK movies get a Japanese or wait for a UK PSP to be released!

When I was a wee lad I kept care of everthing, if your lad isn't so careful I suggest you get him some kind of protector case etc and an adesive scree guard.

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I do agree with Harris on this one. Whilst I will hardly ever watch films on the unit, I guess it's a feature that has been included at little or no extra cost (effectively giving you a free movie player with your handheld device!). Even if I only use it once or twice a year I would say it's a worthwhile feature.

Of course 99.8% of my movie viewing will either be done through my 32" WS CRT or my PJ & 5.1 setup but lugging those onto a plane for my hols may prove difficult. :smashin:

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Exactly. I have a Plasma and a PJ so Im not going to use it to watch films at home. In fact the PJ gets the majority of the use. This is a portable entertainment unit so its a bit strange that people always start talking about home av when you mention the movie functionality.

As I have said before with headphones you get around 5 hours worth of movie viewing with one of these. You only get 2 and half hours if you are lucky with portable DVD players. It is a very handy feature for buring up time on flights, my mrs even sits in the back of the car watching films on it on the way to footy matches. We drove down to London for a wedding at the weekend. 3 hour drive there and back, again a useful way to pass the time if you are bored.

Back onto the durability of the unit, it does seem very well put together and a solid piece of kit. But like digital camera, Camcorders etc these things simply are not meant to be dropped. If you dropped it on the pavement for example I think you would be extrmely lucky if it worked again at all.

14. Ryderage

Ryderage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony target market for the PSP is late teens / 20+ year olds and imo it has been designed according.

I really don't see a PSP lasting more than a few months in the hands of a 7 year old. Get the kid a DS, nintendo have always aim thier products towards a much younger market and it shows.

an example.. Anyone ever inserted a GBA cartridge the 'wrong way'? Even if you put alittle force on to it, there's no damage. Nintendo's products are idiotproof .. Now imagine the same thing with a UMD and a PSP. I can imagine parents all over the world trying to tweazer out UMDs? lol

What it comes down to is the mentality of the child. If the kid has a destructive nature and has a track record of breaking things and taking things apart to see how it works... i'd think twice, get a DS it's cheaper to replace... oh and btw remember it's not aways your son that's going to be using it.. I can remember countless times in my youth that one of my precious belonging was turned into spares parts by a trustable friend!

Rikki

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Indeed, some people fail to grasp the point of a handheld I guess. You could say that games are better on an X-Box via a PJ with a 5.1 setup but again that misses the point entirely. The name Play Station Portable kind of gives it away - the unit is meant for portability and IMO it excels at what it does and there isn't another similar product to touch it!