Question Are PSN UK throttling Speeds?

richp007

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, but downloading the COD update earlier I noticed it was going a bit slow.

Checked the speed under the Network settings a few times, and it was hovering around 30mb. Normally I get 60mb.

Anyone else noticed a slowdown at all on their console? I know there was talk of some throttling on downloads in the US, but I didn't think it was here too.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Nice of them to tell us then. Unless I missed it.

Not the end of the world obviously, but it's the principle of the thing. I see no justification for it.

Nice of them to tell us then. Unless I missed it.

Not the end of the world obviously, but it's the principle of the thing. I see no justification for it.

They did

Cheers. Probably missed it due to being too angry about Netflix doing it :laugh:

I've noticed I've been on a go-slow especially when connecting to matches - my ping has been as high as 75 or something and just hangs there. Also yesterday I was placed in a "queue" before getting into the game lobby?!!! I'm with virgin and PS4 pro is connected by wired ethernet.

I've noticed I've been on a go-slow especially when connecting to matches - my ping has been as high as 75 or something and just hangs there. Also yesterday I was placed in a "queue" before getting into the game lobby?!!! I'm with virgin and PS4 pro is connected by wired ethernet.

That could be Virgin though, it appears they've been having intermittent issues for the last week or so.

To be honest I've always found my PlayStation connection to be slower than my other devices anyway, but it is more noticeable at the moment. At least even with this throttling it's pretty stable.

Do we know if they are still throttling? I’ve got 1.1GB fibre and on wireless my PS4 was getting 63mb down. I’ve changed it to wired and now up to 120mb but i would still expect more.

Do we know if they are still throttling? I’ve got 1.1GB fibre and on wireless my PS4 was getting 63mb down. I’ve changed it to wired and now up to 120mb but i would still expect more.

Throttled or not PSN Download Speeds have always been crap and never close to my actual Download Speed.

And I am certain the Wifi chip in the PS4 is crap compared to all my other devices.

The WiFi chip is worth about 2p.

Looks to me like they are still throttling to be honest. Not getting my usual 60, more like 30. Has been this way since I started the thread.

I'm with virgin media on their 350mb package I'm finding that I get roughly 280 at best which I'm more than happy with but since Sony announced this cap on the download speeds I notice that from around half 4 my speeds drop from 280 or so right down to 40mb my speeds then return back to normal around midnight. I'm guessing this is down to a mix of the cap Sony have put in place and being during peak times. Gameplay remains unaffected as they said it would. I've even done a speed test by taking the 3 metre cat 6 cable from my ps4 into my router on a laptop and I get the 350mb download speeds so I know its not virgin. They seriously need to release this cap on the servers and announce when they do so.

I pay for virgin media 350mb and up until about half 4 on the dot I get great speeds roughly 280mb plus sometimes dropping to 180 but no lower my console is on an 2 metre cat 6 cable as soon as half 4 in the afternoon hits my speeds are all over the place until about half 11 of an evening. I read that Sony have capped the speeds but I don't get it. Surely if they had capped the speeds I wouldn't get good speeds up until half 4 it would be a 24/7 procedure. My speeds go from downloading 44bytes maximum a second to 4 a second. My guess is its the cap along with It being peak times. Some people I know are experiencing the same issues others arent. Any ideas anybody?

Seems PSN wasn't being throttled for me.

Where the PS4 Wireless was crap I was using a powering and using the house ring main. Solid connection but was maxed at 120mb. Didn't realise that was what power lines were going to cap it at.

Just ran an ethernet directly into the router and its now showing 550mb download speed. Battlefront 2 at 132GB is only quoting me 50 mins.

Gutted as I don't have ethernet running directly into the router from that location so not sure what I'm going to do without cutting all of the wall out?

I see down detector has reported a lot of PSN errors with singing in over the last 24hrs and it’s still climbing, but Somy claims no issue with their service, reason I say this is because yesterday daytime I could download gAmes fine, now it’s estimating 4hrs for 36GB, and no it’s not my internet as I tested it and my Xbox One S can download double that is 2hr’s 20...
is this Sony’s idea if throttling or an on going PSN fault Sony haven’t admitted to?

I'm pretty sure the throttling was greater during peak hours compared to off peak, but I can't find the thread where I read that. I can't remember the times, but it was something like 4pm to midnight. The throttling is ongoing with online gaming being prioritised over downloading. The message on the network page specifically says that game downloads will be affected.

I'm pretty sure the throttling was greater during peak hours compared to off peak, but I can't find the thread where I read that. I can't remember the times, but it was something like 4pm to midnight. The throttling is ongoing with online gaming being prioritised over downloading. The message on the network page specifically says that game downloads will be affected.

I have seen that, but I was downloading fine and faster yesterday? Maybe they’ve made it more aggressive? It would take a week to download the COD MW patch!!..

You said yesterday was daytime, it would be faster then as throttling isn't being applied as heavily during the day.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom