are ps3 games on blu ray discs or std dvds ?

SILVERBACK

rfom and fl champ and fear. i`m particulary interested in.i could have sworn there std dvds but my mate is adamant there bluray discs.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Good question which I have no idea about.:confused:

If it fits on a DVD then what's the point of using BR? it just puts production costs up.

Shoki

Well just looked at the resistance disk and it does have "blu-ray disk" on the disk, out of curiosity i stuck it in my pc, the pc does'nt recognise the disk as i'd expect if it was a bd, stuck a 360 game in and it's recognised as a dvd. Now as to whether those games actually need to be on bluray? no idea.

Sporran

just checked the cases on RFOM and F1 and on the back they both say Bluray Disc.

If you look at the underside of the disk you can tell it does not resemble a standard dvd, looks more metallic and deeper colour.

fuzzybee

Banned
all ps3 software comes on Blu Ray

Sporran

even if they do fit on dvds could you imagine the bad press and industry reaction if they did do this!

THE GFP

Banned
dvd based games are either 4.7gb or 8.5gb dual layer so id expect all curent ps3 games to fit on them

but as they are pioneering blu-ray and them discs are

single sided single layer 25gb
single sided dual layer 50gb

double sided single layer 50gb
double sided dual layer 100gb

but imagine the game that is 100gb!

[email protected]

Yeh they are all on blu-ray as already stated. Ive thought about this in the past. I wonder if sony subsidise the production cost to make sure that all developers release games on blu-ray? Most if not all of the current games will fit on a DVD so it seems strange that they are released on much more expensive blu-ray discs which offer no benefit. I think it would be a little embarrasing if games came on a DVD after all the fuss sony made of blu-ray being essential for this gen. Also, does DVD not have faster access times too??

Gunhawk

Distinguished Member
You can tell they are blu ray, as you can feel a different coating on the bottom side of the disc, feels different to a dvd.

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Games are on Blu-ray disc. Totally pointless if they fit on DVDs, as DVDs have faster read speeds.

I presume they use Bluray for several reasons...

1/ help prevent piracy, gettinh the info off a Bluray will be harder than DVD
2/ if they have the production facilities they may as well use them, the more they produce, the lower the unit cost will become
3/ although the Bluray drive is slower than DVD, can it not shift a lot more data at a time? Therefore comparing it to DVD speeds is not comparing like for like - may be wrong on this but that is how I understand it
4/ now Sony are so transfixed with the Bluray format they may as well use it, it would look bad if all the games came out on the DVD format

SILVERBACK

I presume they use Bluray for several reasons...

1/ help prevent piracy, gettinh the info off a Bluray will be harder than DVD
2/ if they have the production facilities they may as well use them, the more they produce, the lower the unit cost will become
3/ although the Bluray drive is slower than DVD, can it not shift a lot more data at a time? Therefore comparing it to DVD speeds is not comparing like for like - may be wrong on this but that is how I understand it
4/ now Sony are so transfixed with the Bluray format they may as well use it, it would look bad if all the games came out on the DVD format

thats 4 i demand 3 more reasons :rotfl:

Sqweeky Badger

its all br.... but some discs are reduced size around 20gb

i think single layer, at the moment no point

the half life orange box set come in on br at 15gb
but the 360 at 7.8 gb

its the compression tools, and i dont think it effects the quality

all blue ray is doing for devs at the moment is giving them leg room when developing games, no need to worry about compression

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
thats 4 i demand 3 more reasons :rotfl:

errr..

5/ because Sony say so!
6/ because someone on here is likely to post a thread "why are ps3 games on DVD discs and not Blurays?"
7/ all of the above

will that do ? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom