Are Projectors better than Plasma?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ethm, Dec 26, 2006.

1. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering upgrading my home cinema package. At present I have plasma, but am interested in buying a Projector. I would be watching films, sport and perhaps normal telly. Do projectors offer a better picture re sharpness, definition and contrast over a plasma and what would be the best choice of projector for under £10k - there seem to be so many on the market and my local store is pushing Sim2 whom I've never heard of. Any help for a novice like me would be most helpful!:lease:

2. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Where do we start.
    First thing is to Get some demo's and in the 10k price bracket there is loads to choose from. DLP and SXRD/ DILA would be the technoligies i would hunt down.
    Before going to DLP you need to check if you will suffer from Rainbow Efect on the single chip machines. This would be my list for a demo. cheapist first.
    Sony Pearl (1080p)
    New JVC rs1 or whatever (1080p
    sim2 d80 (possible rainbow machine But 1080p)
    sim2 c3x lite (3 chip DLP, Very high end 720p)
    I think you would be really impressed with any of these machines plus many more compared to Plasma and your new PJ will Dwarf a plasma. I would imagine the c3x lite would have all the sharpness, brightness, punch, contrast and CLASS you could want. I would love to see one in action, But would then have to buy it.

3. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Oh Welcome to the forums by the way.
    Where are you Located as Members will Recomend a place to get some good demos.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    for less than 10k you can have a 65" plasma PJ's are great but ambient light is the real killer also the bigger you go (screen size) the better your source kit needs to be its not all about pixels. But you do need minimal light (ie NONE)

5. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Better?

A 120" picture which is nearly twice the size.

But then again with 10K you could get both, plasma for day, projector for night. Plasma wall mounted and screen for projector comes down in front of it when in use.

Anim

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Agreed. You can get an awesome quality for both & have plenty of change.

7. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm based just outside Keswick in the Lake District. I think Peter Tysons in Carlisle is recommended.

8. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    make that nearly 4 x bigger(area), dont forget to square it

9. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    take a drive to discount tv AKA roy jowett, in colne, lancashire. they advertise on this site.
    Give them a ring and ask for ben.
    I know they stock the Sony Pearl and the optoma h81.
    other than that take a trip to manchester and theres:-
    Severnoaks and practical Hifi that offer a dem.

10. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for that. Have heard of Roy Jowett and Sevenoaks - do they do installation and is it worthwhile getting them to do it. I know Peter Tysons offer it plus a site survey for £300 which can be deducted from what you buy, but I noticed also they stock a Sim2 @ £12999 which seems to be £2k over what it can be bought for.

11. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I have thought about both, but if Projectors give a better picture I'm better off sticking to that over a plasma aren't I, or is there something I'm missing!

12. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    Hi you might also want to give Gordon or Liam a try. They are both very highly respected people on this forum and other forums (for very good reasons) who are also retailers, that will give you no nonsense straight forward facts and help, to find exaclty the right product/products for you.

13. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Get a Sony Pearl and a decent screen. You'll get 5K change at least... :)

14. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Sitting in the dark when its daytime isn't everybody's cup of tea, so use a plasma/lcd for that or if you don't mind then use the projector.

A projector isn't as forgiving as a TV. You shouldn't really turn them off and on for short periods of time. The bulbs in them need to cool down for say 10-20 minutes when switched off before turning them back on.

Also , they have a Lamp life. When the lamp life has expired you need to replace the bulb in them....most projectors run for around 3000 hours before needing a new lamp. You can buy and fit this yourself.

But saying all that. Watching a good movie on a projector in your own home is something special. We watched Pirates of the Caribbean 2 last night with all the family and it was fantastic. People were jumping out their seats and when they showed the opening scene with the sea filling your view you actually felt sea sick.

Dont forget to budget for a decent amp and projector screen too.

Anim

15. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    Theres one more think I should recommend to you, which ever way you decided to go, its worth removing 1.5 to 3.5k from your budget to buy a video processor/scaler with. The improvement this will bring to your picture (be it on a plasma or projector) really has to be seen to be believed.
    Liam's web site (click on the link below) has an section on them as well as pictures of before and after one is introduced.

http://www.progressive-av.co.uk/accessories/video_processing.htm

16. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got to Second this. I dont have HDDVD yet, and this was by far the best PQ i have ever seen on my PJ simpley stunning:clap: :clap: :clap:
    Any way thread back on track now. i did'nt want to give away too much of my personal oppinion as its not always shared by others, but heres how i would spent 10k.
    £2950 Sony Pearl (pixel and convergence checked from roy jowett/discount tv)
    £3000 cristallio II video processor ([email protected] AV)
    £500+ on a screen(fixed would be better IMO check beamax or Carada for around £500)
    £? system callaberation.
    you should have about £2500 left for HDDVD/BLURAY/new speakers etc.

17. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's really helpful. My kids are always turning the TV on and off, so a plasma backup would help save the projector.

18. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The technology is starting to get mind boggling. Now I've to consider a video upscaler, which sounds useful. Two things: with the jargon what is PJ and PX - is it presumably short for projection? The other thing is if I can get all these things from a couple of your respected forum/ retailer members, how do I go about getting someone to install it all?

19. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. How much better is the Sony VW100 compared with the Sony Pearl - can I tell the difference if I'm watching a film or football?

20. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The first thing kids usually do is touch the lens which is a big no-no. Ceiling mount the projector to save that happening.

A video scaler isn't an absolute necessary. Its an additional accessory that improves picture quality but you have to be unhappy with the picture quality in the first place. Most forum members with scalers say its a night and day difference to the picture quality.

You can probably find the retailers like Gordon etc in this thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422747

That thread might also help you as they are discussing a new projector from JVC that might end up in your short list.

Anim

21. Ballistix999

Ballistix999
    Remembered (1966-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I seriously don't think you need the Crystallio II. That's over kill for the Pearl in my opinion. But hey ho if you have 10K blow it. :)

TT

22. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    i've not got the cristallio II or any other VP i'm not sure they are worth the outlay. But if your blowing 10k then why not:devil:

23. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    Have to disagree with you on this one :) my god if any product is worth the outlay its a VP! I agree that it not always neccassary to spend to the level of a Cristallio II (though i would if i could) as even a £1500 product will make a heck of a differance.

But i will admit they are very much like Amin said, if you have never seen one in action, then you do not miss them and the odds are will be very happy with the PQ, however once you have seen one in action, then you wonder how you ever got by without one!

24. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. I'll see what Peter Tysons in Carlisle have to say about VP's. What would you suggest re installation - it seems that buying from someone who is cheaper may not be able to arrange installation which, given my total lack of technical expertise, I would definitely need! Is it worth paying a bit more from one of the larger outlets who can offer a one stop service?

25. ethm

ethm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I must admit I'm tempted, but it would be good to see one in action!

26. mjw1999

mjw1999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Would love to see i VP in action and would be great if it really did imoprove what i thing is a great image on my PJ with the best possible HD content going through it. A try before you buy would be a good option if a theirs a dealer that does it.

27. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    As mentioned previously on this thread....get in touch with as many people (retailers/calibrators) as you feel necessary. If you're spending such a large sum of money you want to get it right first time.

You have to remember that a VP will benefit the sources that pass through it (Sky, SD DVD, HD DVD, etc). A VP demo can be arranged AFAIK so you can see the differences/benefits yourself. If you purchase a VP I would think the system would be calibrated when the VP is installed.

Steve :)

28. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,183
    I wouldn't worry to much about lamp life. 3000 hours would last years for most people. I only put 450 hours in two years on my last PJ (there is still a theoretical 3500 hours left on it). I rather watch a film a couple times a week on a PJ than all the time on a TV.

By the time the lamp goes (as long as it doesn't happen prematurely). It is easier and probably better just to buy a new PJ (funds permitting). At just £380, I couldn't nmot buy the BenQ W100 and upgrade to DLP. The difference between the Panasonic AE100 and this is a lot.

29. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    Once again I really would recomend getting in touch with Liam or Gorden on here. They can provide everything you need and most importantly know there stuff, (esp when it comes to VP's). Just send them a quick email and i'm sure they will let you know quick enough if they can help and even if they cant they will no who can. I really cant recommend them enough. No i'm not on commersion :) but i did get my PJ calibrated by Gordan, and when i had a problem one bank holiday, he spent all that bank holiday afternoon sorting it out for me. Servies like that you dont forget.

30. Cocksure

Cocksure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,543
    You just need to give one of the dealers a buss on here who i'm sure will be only to happy to loan you one to try. As to the improvement, well lets just say that it was like get a new PJ for me all over again! I was happy with the PQ before, but after, WOW.