Question Are pre-built gaming rigs worth it?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Soundwave, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Soundwave

Soundwave
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,403
      Hi all,

Not been in here in what feels like forever & I am hopelessly out of touch with current goings on & I have today been looking at pre-built rigs.

Are they worth it or is building your own the best way to go?

Bearing in mind I have no experience of ever building a PC before I'm considering going the pre-built route.

Ideally as well I'd like to keep the price as far south of £1k as humanly possible & will need a monitor to go with it

Games wise it will mostly be FPS with a light sprinkling of Fifa & Elite Dangerous thrown in for good measure

So should I keep plugging round the Pre-built websites or try taking the plunge & cocking one up I mean building one myself?

Thanks

Neil

2. caz2005

caz2005

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +526
      You will save money building it yourself unless you maybe got lucky with some clearance hardware. I wouldn't be too intimidated to build one yourself. It's easy peasy these days. I've had 4 PCs, 2 pre-built, 2 I've build myself. The 2 pre-built started running like poop eventually. Never had a problem with the ones I built myself. I'd argue with a budget under £1k you'd definitely be better off building yourself!

Use Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker United Kingdom

You can find the components and the best prices and it also has a compatibility checker and estimated wattage usage so you don't need to worry about the wrong ram type or psu etc.

Good luck :smashin:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    3. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,832
      Theres a couple of posts from today and yesterday that will steer you in the right direction.

Question - How can this build be so cheap...?

Spec me a gaming PC... (Updated 02/08/2016)

Have a read through those posts.

PC Building is quite easy but it is an expensive item so no doubt I would be apprehensive about building them, plus Its just easy for someone else to do it all and you have no worries. But be warned you will pay a premium for that peace of mind. THe money saved building yourself can be used to either improve or just save money.

4. Soundwave

Soundwave
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,403
      Thanks Caz, that looks like a great site
      Will have a good look over that tonight

As far as monitors go I would happily go 2nd hand for that but I would prefer brand new components for the Rig itself...just to maximise longevity...always worry 2nd hand parts turning up damaged or had a hard life (on all day / run hot Etc. Etc.)

Will see what I can come up with & let you know

Thanks again :)

Neil

5. wiz

wiz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,696
      More satisfying when you build yourself

6. Soundwave

Soundwave
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,403
      Thanks @Cha1ky :)

Your message popped in as I was replying to CAZ ;)

Thanks for the thread links will be spending my evening reading up I think lol

Neil

7. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +734
      TBH I do not think there is a large margin for savings as there once was but the satisfaction is part of it for me, plus if aesthetics are important, you can really make it your own :)

do you intend on playing at 1080p?

will you need a monitor in that budget or through an existing monitor or tv?

8. caz2005

caz2005

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +526
      Funnily enough (And I'm guilty of this too) many people skimp on the monitor. However, a decent monitor is the way to go. I don't necessarily mean hi res. If you don't see yourself gaming above 1080p then a 1080 monitor is the way to go but pay attention to what kind of screen it has (TN, IPS, VA), refresh rate, etc. All have their pros and cons but imo (but I'm no expert) if you skimp on say the motherboard and get a cheapy you won't notice any difference I'd argue. Maybe to begin with just get 8gb of Ram. I had only 8gb in my PC for two years only bumping it up to 16gb about 8 months ago but that was more for 3d production tools I use. I didn't notice much difference with games.

All in all (especially if FPS are the main games you'll be playing) I'd put a bit more thought in to what monitor you'd be getting. Think about the size too. Going from 25" to 27" can make quite a bit of difference to the price. I have a 27" monitor at home but at work use a 25" monitor and for how close I am to mine at home I always think it's too big.

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,191
      One thing possibly worth looking at are the bundles from Scan Computers.

They do Mobo/RAM/CPU combos that are pre-assembled, all the optimal BIOS settings in place, and they soak test the assembly before shipping.

It takes a bit of the guesswork out of things as the only parts they offer in the bundles are tried and tested.

You still get the fun of speccing and building the rest of the machine.

10. HRL

HRL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +391
      Biggest expense these days is the graphics card.

1080P or 1440P can be done without too much expense but if you’re determined to aim for 4K it currently costs an arm and a leg. Possibly a kidney too.

11. Soundwave

Soundwave
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,403
      1080p will be fine for me...I'm under no illusions that 4K is well off limits budget wise lol

Sadly I will need a monitor...I have nothing I could use instead

Doing some reading on Monitors too...thats a minefield with refresh etc.
      But definitely wouldn't want to skimp
      Need the best option
      I will be quite close so think 23-25 would be ample but I'll have a look in PC World to do size comparrisons in person first

Have seen those Scan bundles & seem like a good deal
      Just need to read up & see exactly what are the best CPU options in my budget

Definitely looking forward to having a go at gaming on a PC again...been far too long

Thanks again all

Neil

12. Jonny Ware

Jonny Ware
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      A good site for monitor reviews is TFT Central, they look at latency, colour accuracy etc etc. IF you are gaming at 1080, the CPU becomes a little bit more important.

Also I would recommend a higher refresh rate screen (120hz +), the most important component though will be the GPU, as the more you spend there, the longer it will be able to play games at higher quality and decent FPS.

Lastly, don't skimp on a PSU buying a 1000w no-name brand, a really good site for PSU's is Jonnyguru. He puts them through a stress test (and you can see what happens with cheap PSU's blowing up taking out everything plugged into them).

13. Soundwave

Soundwave
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,403
      Well that didn't work

A quick Parts picker & I'm at £1500 :confused::eek::eek: lol

Need to do some reading up on actual parts & look harder because I just blindly clicked things I think :laugh::laugh:

Neil

14. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +734
      Here is a quick screenshot of a system build under £900; however, this does not cover a monitor

you could look on here in the classifieds also, see some bargains pop up.

upload_2018-12-21_12-31-16.png

15. Soundwave

Soundwave
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,403
      Thanks @dollag really appreciate the effort on speccing the build for me
      Might seem an odd question but is a 400W PSU sufficient?

Also is the i7 too much would an i5 or even an AMD Ryzen suffice considering I want to keep costs down?

Thanks again, really appreciate it

Neil

16. HRL

HRL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +391
      Does that CPU come with a cooler too?

Need a better PSU and graphics card TBH.

At least an Nvidia 1060 6Gb or an AMD RX580 8Gb and a 600W PSU, I’d suggest.

17. GMC79

GMC79
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,139
      If i was building to a grand now i would do something like this. So many options with pc though it's hard to decide lol. Ideally an extra HDD in there too, But really you want to buy best you can so mayb be better waiting and doing the £1500 build you had picked when you can with maybe a 1080ti.

Attached Files:

18. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +734
      Why a 600w psu?

I have a 450w with a 8700k @5ghz, a 1070ti, 4hd's, watercooled aio and fans and the most i pull is just over 300w under load

I have no idea why people boy 800w psu's unless your running some serious hardware.

I agree the gpu is the weak link but that's why i spec-ed the machine the way it was. with an 8700, you have one of the best gaming cpu's available and most games at 1080p are cpu intensive. If you decide in the future that you want to step up the ladder, a better gpu like a 1080ti or a 2080 is a simple plug out- plug in affair as the rest of your kit will last you at least 5 years. I just swapped out my 2600k which was 8 years old. all ive done over the years is new ssd and gpu's and it's kept it relevant

19. Nelly

Nelly

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      If you view prebuilds like the ones on Scan's site e.g. Custom built gaming PC with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and NVIDIA - 3XS & then look at the same parts on their website or elsewhere across the web you will see there are some savings to be made doing it yourself. How much value you put on the convenience & warranty of pre-built is up to you as to if its worth it.

In that example, the Ryzen 5 2600 CPU is listed as being £130.52 of the cost, but to buy that CPU separately is approx £145, Scan themselves seem to be current cheapest. This might just be becasue its not a retail boxed CPu they are using so cost is lower. Whereas if you look at the graphics card, they list the 1060 6GB as being £275 of the pre-build cost, but you can pick up that same card on Scan's website seperately for £196.98. So you are £75 worse off buying the pre-build straight away.

Really comes down to if you have the time & inclination to do the reading & watch some youtube vids etc to do it yourself vs the extra cost of pre-build.

20. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,786
      Would not bother with the GTX series now, the RTX 2070 is cheaper than the 1080 and faster. I would not bother with a i5 9600k, go ryzen or go i7, if going ryzen spend the extra £100 on a better GPU.

21. Jonny Ware

Jonny Ware
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      If it was me building, I would say to swap the pricing of the CPU and GPU around. Below I have linked an article by Guru3d, where they place a I7 2600, vs everything since, with a Nvidia 1080GPU. Basically 4 cores still holds its own. Its GPU power that will run out first (even at 1080P)

Also if he isn't planning on overclocking the CPU, then the K version is irrelevant and just additional cost.

Retro review: Intel Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600K - 2018 review

22. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,832
      You sure the 2070's better than the 1080Ti (thats what he mentioned, not 1080)?

23. GMC79

GMC79
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,139
      Literally forgot about 2070's when doing that and i have a 2080.:facepalm:

Im still happy my 4770k still going strong and working well, even thinking about builds with all the possibility's is a headache, deciding on parts is harder and far far longer process than the actual build :D

24. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +734
      I agree regarding the 8700, hence i didnt list a k series just the standard.

I agree again about the processors to a degree. My philosophy is get the mobo,cpu and ram right 1st. This can last a decade. I had a 2600k and only swapped it out this year but it was the flagship back then. it's the same reason i built my new pc with the same philosophy, to hopefully get the same time out of it. Graphic cards are easily interchangeable and do not have chipset issues like cpu's.

a 1050ti will be good enough at 1080p for over 100fps on medium setting on most games. If the op feels he wants to upgrade, upgrading a card is a lot easier to do than possibly changing out your mobo, cpu etc.

There is not right way to do it. i just like to focus on the foundations first.

Ryzen is an alternative way to go as is their gpu's and is cheaper.

25. Jonny Ware

Jonny Ware
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
    26. Jonny Ware

Jonny Ware
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      I agree with that mentality, but you would lose a fair few £££ in selling a GFX card second hand (I still have a 290X in my computer combined with a 3570k). Having a faster CPU now you wouldn't notice, whereas having a much better GFX card you would, particularly improving textures etc.

Ryzen is a good shout though, and that Guru article sums things up nicely. For those that don't want to look, example is going from a 2600k to 8600k, gains 9fps at 1080p. Vs ryzen 5 1600, 5fps.

27. dollag

dollag

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +734
      fair point about the losing money. With that in mind, the s/h market is always a good place to save some cash

28. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,786
      No it is not, the post I quoted mentioned a 1070 ti and this is what I am referring to. The 1080ti is around the same price of the RTX 2080 (the zotac mini 1080 ti and reference zotac 2080 are the same price, all other 2080 are cheaper than the 1080ti). The RTX is marginally slower (but the drivers are fairly new, so I imagine in a few months the RTX 2080 will be quicker), but cheaper, and RTX is obviously a new technology that will hopefully be something that can improve quality without the massive hit to performance it currently takes.
      But I stand by my quote, unless you are looking at the GTX 1060 (and even then, with the current game offers on the RX 580, I wouldn't bother) then I would not consider a GTX series nvidia card, and opt for the RTX at the same price.

29. Delvey

Delvey
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,786
      I currently have a i5 4670k and 290x. I am only upgrading as the misses as bought me the ryzen 5, mobo and ram for christmas. I will sell my old parts (should get £300) and I will buy a RTX 2070 to complete my upgrade. The current setup has lasted me 5 years, so I am hoping that the next one will last a similar amount of time. Ryzen 3 is due out in 6-12 months, which might be a worthwhile upgrade, but I am hoping not.

30. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,832
      Cheers for the info. I've got a 980Ti and was thinking of a possible upgrade next year so was prob between a 1080TI and whatever is around the same price next year (assuming its not worse in performance that is).