1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Play up to no good?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by stealther, Aug 19, 2002.

1. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Ive just recieved my copy of The Running Man £8.99 from Play.
    I ordered it as there website states that it is both Anamorphic and 5.1. But my copy has neither
    I also recently ordered the new DTS version of the Rock but the copy I recieved has no DTS track.
    Has anyone else had these sort of problems?
    am I the only one they seem to be pulling a fast one over?:(

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,843
    The Rock has DTS on the deluxe version (black cover).

Don't know about Running Man.

3. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only version of 'The Rock' with a DTS sound track is the 2-disc collectors edition (more or less a copy of the Criterion versions out last year).

DTS is not shown on the R2 packaging but it is there (or at least used to be, would be a great shame if they have removed it).

Play's site is not always the most detailed (or sometimes accurate). I normally check the extras on a couple of sites or use DVD Compare to verify the listing.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Running Man this morning but have not been able to test it out yet. Someone else reported on my Running Man thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42850) that it was not 5.1 as advertised. I can live with this, but if it is not anamorphic when I try it in my player tonight (you can't just go by the packaging) then I will definitely be sending it back to Play for a full refund!!! :(

Just for the record, "DVD compare" is not always accurate either. I ordered Kalifornia R1 because they (and everyone else) said it was anamorphic. But it wasn't. "DVD compare" have since updated their listing.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    Well as most of the regs here know i have been a long standing fan and praiser of Play but over the past few weeks my view has started to change

There insistance to provide R2 at the best prices has resulted in there R1 section getting worse and worse - the R1 prices seem to get higher and higher - now I would not mind if this WAS the case but its my understanding that this is something they have done to keep the R2 houses happy

So I cancelled all but one R1 order with them ( Still have Blade II as it would not cancel for some reason ) and ordered them via www.cdwow.com - this saved me OVER £40 !! not only that but at least CDWOW seem ( so far ) consistant

My Running Man which was posted Friday afternoon turned up this morning ( NOT anamorphic and NO 5.1 ) but 24 which shipped 2 hours earlier did not - also three other titles released this week are now listed as WAITING STOCK - they seem to be getting more and more unreliable each day

Its a shame as for years they have given nothing but good service but since there changes they seem to have become to big for themselves ( phoned today asking about the Running Man differences and was told that basically it was tuff luck and tthey would change the info on the web )

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just tried my Running Man. Not anamorphic, not 5.1 as you say, Duncan :( Mine's going back for a refund. If they tell me "tuff luck" then I shall be discussing it with my credit card company.

I have printed off a copy of the specs from Play's web site in case my credit card company require it for evidence. I see that Play have already changed the soundtrack spec to read "Dolby Stereo 2.0", so I'm sure they will soon change the aspect ratio information as well. :rolleyes:

7. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Ive spent probably over a thousand pound over the last year on play.

Iam sure many of us represent good customers to Play.
    Surely they must know that people only order from them cause there cheap and reliable.
    If the reliability factor is lost then cheap or not they will quickly lose there reputation and there customer base.

Perhaps we should email them a link to this forum topic?

There on there last chance with me anyway!

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no complaints so far Stealther. I will only have a complaint if they tell me "tuff" like they told Duncan.

I bought The Rock R2 (deluxe 2-disk edition) from them and it does have DTS mate - it's just not listed on the packaging (which is a known packaging error).

I had a different problem though. When my copy arrived, it was just the Amaray case, no slipcase, but the picture shown on their website showed the black slipcase. They told me to send it back with a cover letter explaining what I wanted, so I did. They then sent me another one without a slipcase. I rang them up and they told me that they were sorry but the black slipcase was no longer being supplied with that DVD by Buena Vista. They told me I could, of course, return it for a refund if I wanted. I decided not to and am more or less happy with the way they resolved the problem (apart from them sending the same thing again).

Mistakes do happen. I can see how someone at Play saw the "16:9" on the back of Running Man and decided it was anamorphic. This happens with every supplier! I seem to recall when I pre-ordered Running Man that the Play website had a note attached to the specs saying that there was a problem with the packaging and it will say Dolby Stereo 2.0, but they have been assured by the supplier that it will contain a 5.1 soundtrack! Well that's clearly not true anymore! I could live with the Stereo soundtrack, but I can't live with a non-anamorphic transfer - I wouldn't have ordered it if it wasn't anamorphic :( I've never had a problem returning disks to any supplier when they don't meet the specs advertised on the website, so I'm hoping that Play aren't going to be silly about this.

9. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    My black cover was also missing. As I had not had time to test for DTS I took the packaging info as correct and nearly accused Play of false advertising.

As for Anamorphic and 5.1 Its the other way round for me I can live without a Anamorphic presentation but I rarely buy a dvd that is not 5.1 or DTS unless its a really good movie.

Despite reading numerous articles about Anamorphic discs i still fail to grasp the difference between this and normal widescreen aspects.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to watch Running Man I would have to use the Zoom function on my TV, to zoom up the image. I therefore lose resolution because of this and it doesn't look too good.

If it were anamorphic, then extra resolution would have been encoded onto the disk specifically for widescreen TVs, and there would be no need to zoom.

In both cases, the aspect ratio would be the same (in the case of Running Man, it's 1.78:1).

I can't believe you can't tell the difference! Non-anamorphic transfers annoy the hell out of me, particularly NTSC ones.:(

11. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I can't believe you can't tell the difference! Non-anamorphic transfers annoy the hell out of me, particularly NTSC ones

Sorry Squirrel I will have a look through my collection and test a couple of dvds to see if i can spot a difference.

As long as Iam not losing any picture I dont usually care about the black borders. Its standard 4:3 ratios that really anoy meI can't believe you can't tell the difference!

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no need for you to apologise! I'm just saying I'm shocked that you can't tell the difference, that's all :)

Being anamorphic is nothing to do with the black borders that are on the top and the bottom of the screen. Those black borders are to do with the aspect ratio, e.g. 2.35:1.

When you watch a non-anamorphic picture, it is widescreen, but within a 4:3 frame. That's why it needs to be zoomed up. If the aspect ratio is 2.35:1 or something like that, you would still get the black borders on the top and bottom, but by zooming up, you get rid of the black borders on the left and right of the screen.

When you watch an anamorphic picture, it is widescreen within a 16:9 frame. The aspect ratio is the same, so if it's 1.85:1 you won't see any black borders on the top and bottom, but if it is 2.35:1 you will see the black borders.on top and bottom. With anamorphic though, there is no need to zoom in to get rid of the left and right black borders, it automatically fits a widescreen TV because it is within a 16:9 frame.

13. Mujja

Mujja
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for that explanation Squirrel, Like stealther I too read some articles this week. I now know what anamorphic does, but didn't know how to tell if I was watching an anamorphic DVD.

I just got my widescreen TV and DVD player, i've played about 5 DVDs which have all been anamorphic transfers. I'm gonna have to play a non-anamorphic DVD now to see what the difference is :)

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,987
    At best, the difference between an anamorphic disc and a non-ananmorphic one (all other things being equal) are subtle, rather than 'in-yer-face' obvious.

Assuming that

1) You are comparing an anamorphic disc and a non-anamorphic one which are otherwise of similar quality, and both contain films which are presented in the same aspect ratio

2) You have a widescreen TV or a 4x3 TV with a 16x9 feature

3) You have your DVD player set to correctly output an anamorphic signal where present on the disc (eg - on DVD player, set TV type to 16x9 or wide).

4) You always set the TV to the CORRECT zoom, full, etc., setting according to the anamorphic (or not ) signal off the disc - you can't always rely on auto switching to do this; depending on the TV, the DVD player and/or the disc, you may have to do this for yourself.

then, on a regular CRT TV or CRT RPTV, the difference is simply that the horizontal scan lines will be further apart (ie fewer of them) for non-anamorphic than for anamorphic. In effect, there is less vertical detail in the image. On Plasma and LCD devices, you don't see scan lines normally - but the loss of vertical detail is still there. It may not be all that visibly obvious, especially on smaller screens, or if you watch from a long way away.

1) If the discs are very different, then differences in mastering quality, or the ratio of the film may cause other differences in the picture, not attributable to anamorphic.

2) If you don't have (2) then comparison is meaningless.

3) If you get (3) wrong then the DVD player will output a non-anamorphic signal irrespective of the disc, so comparison is meaningless

4) If you get (4) wrong, then you may see a picture of a different shape. If all other things are equal, then one of these is wrong, and again, comparison is meaningless.

For otherwise equal discs, non- or anamorphic, if you do it right, should NOT affect the shape or size of the film on your screen (after allowing for very slight variations in the setup of the TV) so, if it does, you are doing something wrong. It should only affect the amount of vertical detail (or spacing of scan lines).

15. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Cheers for the info

I think this is something I need to sort out with my TV it has several screen modes including: just, Panasonic auto, 4:3, zoom, 16:9 and 14:9. For most of the time I never bother changing it from the 16:9 aspect ratio and ive never changed the tv aspect setting on the DVD player.

I dont seem to get on with system settings for some reason its probably because iam the most impatient man on earth!

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just rang up Play and they are giving me a refund on Running Man :)

It was quite amusing actually, because the poor girl who I talked to told me that Running Man was not advertised as being anamorphic or 5.1. :rolleyes: I was quick to state that this was because they have changed their website now and that I have a printout from yesterday showing it being advertised as anamorphic :D

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    play seem to be changing advertised release dates of late as well, ie getting them wrong in the first place.

Got my R1 Fog SE this week but I was sure it wasn't out until mid next month. Italian Job release date also seems to have changed to this month (should be getting it any day now) when it was definitely advertised as being released in Sept on Play.

18. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Play aren't changing release dates of R1 titles, they just ship them out as soon as the discs come into stock. The Fog is officially released next Tuesday, which is why if you ordered it from Amazon.com it wouldn't ship until next Tuesday. I've had mine from Play for a while now, it's a policy I approve of.

The thing with release dates is that they're nearly always being changed, especially where R2 titles are concerned. Play put them up to preorder as soon as they get the smell of an unconfirmed release date, which may well be brought forward, pushed back, or even cancelled. I remember seeing the R2 versions of The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad and Sinbad and The Eye Of The Tiger being available for preorder for around 18 months now, ever since Columbia announced them and then shelved them as soon as the release started getting close. They finally got released a couple of weeks ago. The R2 of Lifeforce was shunted around for a good 12 to 18 months aswell before it finally appeared.
    I don't think you can really blame Play for trying to capture the punters as soon as they can, the same as any other disc retailer. At least they don't list films that haven't had some kind of "official" nod towards a release date.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no i was actually talking about two or three discs that I had pre-ordered having their release dates changed on-site two or three weeks before they were supposed to be released, not discs shipping a weeks or so before there official release dates.

20. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I'm confused. :blush:
    You mentioned The Fog, but that's always had the release date as 27th of August - next Tuesday. That's not changed from when I preordered it with Play.
    I remember seeing a press release on DVD Reviewer that said the Italian job date had been brought forward by a few weeks. Maybe nobody thought to tell Play:confused:

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that'll explain it then... play complaint withdrawn then.