Are Plasmas OK for Gaming.......?????

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by PrivatePile76, Oct 17, 2005.

1. PrivatePile76

PrivatePile76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How do all,

I'm researching a new HDTV and can't decide between Plasma or LCD....

I want to initially be able to use XBOX 360 @ HDef and then next year be able to use HD Sky.

I've read some topics about screen burn, but it's not 100% clear on it.

Apparently Plasma has superior performance, but can suffer from screen burn, from for example : Sky + on screen graphics if left for a while (as little as 15minutes) ???

But although LCD doesn't suffer from screen burn the performance isn't as good as a Plasma...

Can anyone offer any other guidance on this...

I'd really appreciate some further help.

thanks

Bob

2. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    i have used my PHD8 as my tv and my pc monitor since the day i got it. i havnt had any screen burn at all. modern plasmas dont seem to suffer like previous generations, so playing games shouldnt pose any problems

3. Galaxian

Galaxian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Bob, went through the same dilema myself and have finally decided on Plasma and have a tv on order.
    The subject of screen burn and gaming is raised frequently on these forums and the general opinion is some people get image retention while their screens are burning in but its not fatal and will fade with normal viewing.

I don't know what Manufacturer you're thinking of going with but there was an encouraging thread raised yesterday containing an e-mail reply from someone at Pioneer. You can read it here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253819&highlight=436

Although Microsoft has struck a deal with Samsung and their games are shown on LCD displays it's interesting that both Bizzare Creations (Project Gotham) and Rare (Kameo & Perfect Dark Zero) have openly demo'd their Xbox360 games on Pioneer Plasma's.

Hopefully I'm not eating my words in a few days time ;)

4. Blue Triangles

Blue Triangles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Me too. I have a 506XDE on order and couldn't do without my Seven hour Friday night Halo 2 sessions! ;)

5. PrivatePile76

PrivatePile76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cheers guys....I was gonna risk and order a plasma I think anyway after reading about LCD not being as technically good as Plasma...

thanks for the hints..

Bob

6. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I play P.C. games using a pv500 plasma. Plasmas dont suffer from motion lag, LCD panels do, unless you can try before you buy and find one with a fast response time <16ms

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    And carefully consider which model for PC gaming. Take PC resolutions accepted, and pixel aspect ratio into account. Only low res 42, and HD50 plasmas are 16:9 native res, a HD 42 is true XGA, with rectangular pixels. Check your favourite games for aspect ratio adjustment. Some plasmas it's actually impossible to get native resolution on, yes it's true. Think carefully, young Jedi!

8. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using my LG 42" Plasma for games since I got it on Monday morning. Tekken 5, Gran Turismo 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, Burnout Revenge, Winning Eleven 9 (PES5), FIFA 2006, Halo 2, Project Gotham Racing 2 ... all look fantastic. Razor sharp, no blurring, no ghosting, no refresh problems.

Here is a picture of my LG playing Tekken 5 ... enjoy. :smashin:

[​IMG]

9. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are you able to play playstation 2 games at a res higher than 640*480? That was the reason i moved to P.C. gaming back in 1999!!

10. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Console games are not as predetermined by resolution as PC games, I thought everyone knew that.

That picture is of my PS2 through AV1 with an RGB scart. However, if you were to turn the resolution up, you would get a sharper image yes, but you wouldn't get more details, extra little touches, etc ... console games are predetermined in how they will look, the things they will display, etc.

With Xbox360 through an HD (1080p) you wil see more subtle details in the distance and around the edges, but you cannot get anything on the scale of say, changing Half Life 2 on PC from 640x480 to 1280x1024. You won't get more details, it won't look less grainy (360 games will not be grainy anyway, and changing the resolution on a PS2 game will NOT remove the jaggies as it would on a PC game).

Consoles do NOT work that way mate.

11. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats why pc's will always be one step ahead of there console cousins. flexibility & almost photo-realistic graphics. The high res makes all the difference. I mean there is no comparison seeing far cry running at 1280*1024 with anti-alaising & anastrophic filtering on a fast pc compared to the xbox version running at 640*480. i thought everyone knew that!!

12. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite the fact that the new PS3 custom built GeForce GPU will do Unreal Engine 3 better (in real time) than the new 7800 generation of nVidia cards, at a lower cost and in a machine which does more. Pro's and Con's on either side.

I'm not interested in a console vs PC debate bud, they're old skool and just not worth it. Bottom line, a console is more social. I know it's more fun sitting four friends round a console, big screen, and a copy of PES5. And yes, I know you can hook the PC up to a Plasma, but personally using that as my main entertainment source with company around is borderline geek. Sorry.

Also, football (PES, FIFA), Beat Em Up's, and Arcade Racers are better suited to consoles. And again, online gaming on PC is just a little too geekish and old fashioned/backwards for my liking compared to Xbox Live and especially the newer service on 360.

Just my opinion bud, so let's not drag the thread and it's topic down.

13. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry fella have to disagree,

-Lan nights with a few beers are much more social than 4 max lookin at one low res tele!
    -Also you get your own screen, you dont have to look at a horrible split screen or even worse a 4 way split screen
    -xbox live service is flakey at best, servers are not up to it plus all that slowdown!!
    Wouldnt it be better to set up your own server or join a decent robust pc server.
    -if the 7800 arent as fast as a ps3 well youve always got the 8800 & 9800 series coming along. with a ps3 your stuck at that power for 5 years. sorry its the nature of the beast!

14. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Then both of you stick to your respective games machines....

I have both, and i know which i prefer to play on. :thumbsup:

15. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say, I havn't noticed in flaky behaviour from xbox live myself in 18 months. I gave up on PC net games because of all the damn cheats, its endemic. Some live games such as star wars battlefront, just dont work on the UK's mickey mouse version of broadband which sees up times typically at a quarter of download times or even worse. I can only imagine its must be just as sucky if not worse trying to feed extra detail from a pc game down the pipe.

16. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Ironically I doubt nVidia will ever do a 9800 series...a particular competitor has been there and done that almost 3 years ago :p :rotfl:

17. w3dal

w3dal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Looks Supurb Mate. I think im gonna have to get Tekken 5 this weekend - the graphics have come a long way since Tekken 3 on the PS2 - :thumbsup:

Nice Plasma aswell.

Dal

18. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh, back on topic, I played Forza from very early on with my Panny plasma, as the game has the option to turn off all on screen info, so you can play it for hours without worrying about image retention. As for that, try gaming in 1 hour sessions and then go to tv mode and look for image ghosts, if you dont see any, try 2 hours. But keep it to that for the first 200 hours or so, and then swap games or channels. Thats that I would do. And of course keep the set in normal mode and not 'las-vegas-buy-this-tv-from-this-showroom' mode (not sure what that mode is called on other sets, but you probably know the one I mean)

19. Glasgow Adam

Glasgow Adam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a pioneer 506xde, and have been using it with an xbox for 4 weeks now, although also using it for dvds and tv. I have no burn at all - and i am the in the "halo2 for any less than 4 hours is just a warm up" camp.

I use the "gaming" picture setting (with a slightly lowered brightness and contrast) for playing, and connect the xbox using monster component leads.

20. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Someone posted earlier suggesting Xbox360 could output 1080p - sorry it can't. PS3 can though. Though the reality is that very few panels support the resolution to it's not something to get too worked up about, aside from that Xbox360 games will have a standard output of 720p, it's up to the developer to offer a 1080 display option.

Sony haven't said what they're standard HD game output will be.

As a gamer who plays on a plasma, I can assure you it's great! Component connection = nice and sharp, considering the console is five years old it's doing a grand job.

21. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i heard most xbox360 games would be 1080 (i or p - not sure)

22. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, Dal. :smashin:

It's amazing how it's running on PS2, as I said it's definitely the most advanced PS2 game out there right now.

And I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed by other members showing almost fanboy-esque qualities when it comes to PC's. I custom built my PC to play games, so I enjoy PC gaming. I just wish folk wouldn't be so ignorant as to view consoles in the same light as 10 years ago. We've come a hell of a long way since the days of Sonic and Streets of Rage ... and one look at Gears of War, Dead of Alive 4, and PGR3 show this. And it's worth pointing out that it takes a hell of a lot more money to set these kind of games up on PC. Bottom line, enjoy both folks ... but enough of the playground zealot arguements which belong in the letters page of CVG! :rotfl:

23. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh mindjob you just have to have the last word dont you!!

One of the reasons I bought my high resolution panny was to play high res games, if i had of wanted to play a console i would of just stayed with the 32" w/screen tele stuck at 640*480!

24. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You all think resolution is the be all and end all don't you.

If you ran Tekken 5 on a PC at 640 x 480 it would NOT look identical to the PS2 version running the same resolution. PC and Console resolutions are NOT completely identical.

PC running Tekken 5 or GT4 at 640 x 480 would look grainy, lower in detail, etc compared to the PS2 version. It's the difference in technology and programming which does this.

And it's Mindvox ... I might be new, but don't get cheeky eh?

25. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have to disagree mindvox, there happy again!. Ok the console developers use antialaising & anastrophic filtering to hide the fact the resolutions low. But you can play a pc game at 640*480 with 4x anti-alaising & 16x anastrophic filtering & it will look as good if not better than the equivelent ps2 or x-box game, but with the pc why would you want to. Try it & see.

26. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I have a new pc setup , I use it for games, I find the PC is better for cerain types of games, imo 1st person shooters/strategy are better on pc's, easier control with mouse etc etc. I will however be getting an xbox360, as i feel that sports and fighting games feel better on a console. driving games do well on both. well theres my opinion, there is room for both in my life !!

27. spanna

spanna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    Back to the actual topic... lets have some more photos of console games on plasmas.

28. avman69

avman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair comment steve, although im wondering how the x-box 360 is going to play hi-def 720p res games as it doesnt seem to be shipping with a hd dvd drive, only a standard dvd drive? Ps3 seems to be gettin a blueray drive from day 1.

29. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what I said mate ... there are certain genres done better on one or the other. Fighting games and Arcade racers, cannot be beaten on console in my opinion. FPS and RTS games excel, hands down, on PC .... no arguement.

30. Mindvox

Mindvox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry bud, but I disagree and it's obvious why.

Let's say I put on Half Life 2 on PC and set it to 640 x 480 ... it'll look a little blurry, have fuzzy edges, lack detail, and generally not impress. Turn it up to 1280 x 1024 and you'll get lovely crisp edges, lots of detail, etc.

Now, while Tekken 5 shown in my picture is in 640 x 480, it looks better down to the console architecture. Consoles are designed to run on televisions, obviously, and as such get around the resolution issue found on PC's. Tekken 5, if it came to PC, would NOT look like that PS2 shot I supplied if run on 640 x 480. PC resolutions and their contents differ greatly to those of the console. It's down to architecture, nothing else.

Perfect example is to run a PC and console version of the same game. Doom 3 on Xbox looks better than the PC version loaded at 640 x 480.However, turn up that PC resolution and it's a different story. It's horses for courses bud, but treating them as identical cases is a touch ignorant.