1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Plasmas more trouble than they are worth?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bigtired, Mar 26, 2005.

1. bigtired

bigtired
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dear All,

I currently have a Sony 32FX68, which admittedly I am very happy with. I have been tempted to buy a plasma for a while on the assumption that picture quality would be improved, and it would take up less space.

I have read numerous threads on the group and quite frankly I am scared to death because it would seem that plasmas are fraught with danger.

Consensus on this group seems to be that Panasonics are the best, but equally informed contributors come up with arguments that support other makes.

Also the group gets in a terrible twist when trying to evaluate cost versus marginal improvement in performance. What I mean here is that if plasma A costs £1200 and plasma B costs £1600, then its worth paying 33% more for plasma B because of tangible reasons x, y, z.

There also appears to be a lot of rich people here because talk of plasmas costing £2000 plus hardly registers on pulse rates.

Many years ago I went through an audiophile phase and started spending lots of money on equipment in pursuit of the perfect sound, when really overall once you reach a certain threshold you are in the realms of diminishing returns for the money you shell out.

The purpose of this ramble is to ask advisors whether I am looking for information in the wrong group because it is populated with visual purists that don't actually watch the broadcast because they are too busy looking for the faults.

I am not being offensive here - I just find the contributions scary and would love to have some advice that says ..... compared with the television you currently have plasma X is a good entry level that you would notice an improvement in picture quality. If your budget could stretch to ..... then go for..... because ..... I know the information is free and I could just be told to go an sling my hook, but I know that people here genuinely want to be helpful bu :lease: t I am not sure the techy exchanges are.

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    bigtired,

If it helps, this is the first time that i've visited this particular forum so I'm not 'au fait' with the arguments that rage.

I bought a 42" JVC plasma about a year ago cos I wanted a big screen and it was the only one 'good brand' one I could afford. I'm entirely happy with it and consider that I got value for money.

However the picture quality is not as good as the 'conventional' CRT that it replaced. It's perfectly fine for my purposes, and on prog scan component input from DVD, comes very close to CRT quality. As far as I'm concerned the larger screen more than compensates for the slight loss of quality.

I think you've got to decide what your budget is and then what size screen you want, and look for the best advice on here based on those criteria.

3. lupo

lupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi bigtired

I got myself a Panasonic TH42PW7BX Just over a week ago.

I am pleased with the picture. I was getting myself ready to be disappointed. But I am not.
    I have turned down the contrast and brightness at the moment, while running it in for the first 200 hours, so I have lost detail in dark scenes, play A good dvd and the picture is amazing.
    I am even impressed with the picture from freeview! I can't see how anyone thinks it looks that bad?

I have everything connected by scart to the joytech AV Centre, and a scart lead from that to the scart board on the plasma. I know the scart board is not supposed to be the best, but it still beats the picture on my panasonic 32" which is only 4 year old.

4. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    another panasonic PW7 owner, dont/can't understand anybody that would say the picture on this screen is not great, I have mid-high range boards leads and have been very happy with the results.
    My experience of negative comments about plasmas tend be from people who dont own a screen. who would like one, but can't justify the expense, often they are making assumptions by what they have seen in the local curry's or comet! Which is not a good idea, when you look at the feeds used and the high prices compared to online etc
    since getting my screen alot of people have commented that LCD is the better, but when asked why, can't ever give me a decent reason. which makes me wonder why bother saying that in the first place?

what it boils down to is if you had a choice of a brand new 32"CRT or a 42" plasma for free - which would you choose! Plasma everytime. . .

blue ;)

5. GranPremio

GranPremio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bigtired

Good question! I bought a 50" HD Panasonic about 3 months ago and xonsider myself a bit fussy! I went down the HD route primarily because I wanted the PC hooked up and iTunes through the house sound system etc.

Like you I was new to these forums and had to do a great deal of sifting between the 'mine is better than yours' brigade, the 'I know best' bunch, and the doom and gloom merchants. I did pick up a wealth of knowledge (admitedly from a low starting point) and am delighted with my result.

I also think that the 'professionals' are in danger of disappearing up their own backsides on some issues, but if you want the 'very' best you do have to shell out. I was particuarly sceptical about paying a fortune for cabling - but it does make a massive difference. You don't have to buy the best - but you do have to buy decent.

If I could offer some advise it would be

a) stick with the better known and respected brands
    b) invest in decent cables and connectivity
    c) try and demo your kit beforehand
    d) plan your connectivity BEFORE you buy, it may influence the price & choice of plasma

Most people compare a 32" crt with a 42" plasma and critisise the picture. This is not fair, to my knowledge there are no 42" CRTs, and much of the picture issues discussed on here are due to the poor broadcast quality. SKY in particular have gone for maximum revenue and put as many channels as they can on their bandwidth, at the expense in some cases of quality.

The other big factor for me is the viewing distance. The closer you are - the worse the picture will be!! Sounds obvious, but a 50" plasma viewed from 6ft with a typical SKY broadcast may look less than impressive.

Visit a dealer (not a high street plug n play retailer) or a local forum member!

Regards

PS - Happy Easter!!

6. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +142
    Excellent advice GranPremio. I agree with you. We can all get a bit carried away sometimes. But it's all good fun. :rotfl:

7. IBORGUK

IBORGUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think in short yes and I speak as someone who has owned both a Hitachi 37pd5200 (poor skin tone display on some standard def sources) and a Pioneer 435 XDE (2nd unit, first one buzzed like a hornet). We are certainly not at the point where buying a plasma is like buying a "telly". I think the same issue is evident with LCDs too. We all know the pros and cons by now. But bottom line for me is that I've got the DVD playback display I've always wanted (coupled with a Pioneer DV575 for what it's worth.)

8. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also must agree with GranPremio, got my plasma 3 months ago after studying this forum for several weeks and planning my connections. I did have some reservations about changing to plasma but everything went without a hitch and I am delighted with the results.

9. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Hi, I've had my px11 for about a month and a half, the picture (after 200 hours) is easily comparable to my 32" Sharp CRT that the plasma has replaced. I wouldn't class myself as a videophile and tbh, whenever I visit friends or relatives with CRts I can't believe the difference, Plasma is really the way to go in my opinion. The picture is sharp, crisp, there's no discernable banding any more and dvd's through progressive look absolutely amazing (and thats feeding from a 100quid yamada dvd recorder). Can't wait to get the hidef cable for my xbox to see the much improved picture for gaming that I've read so much about.. Hope this helps allay some of your fears

Cheers
    Dan

10. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    There are some budget models to avoid if you want a good picture but nowadays most plasmas are very good quality, on this forum you will find faults with every plasma model but its just people being over critical ( including me! ) and looking for 'perfection' in a way. So don't be too put off by some comments if you stick to the 'better makes' ( LG, JVC, Toshiba, Philips, Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi etc ) you won't be dissapointed. :)