Are Plasma's Good Gaming TV's?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jpb82, Feb 9, 2009.

1. jpb82

jpb82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I want to upgrade my 32" samsung LCD and ive been looking for a while now and after seeing the 42PZ80 in action am thinking about buying it.

I have a viewing distance of 8ft and have been looking at LCD's but there just aren't any im interested
    in at the moment so am looking at getting a plasma instead mainly to be used with the X360, PS3 Blu-ray and DVD.

I know that for standard dvd's and blu-ray discs this plasma would be superior to an LCD in every way
    but am concerned about gaming only from a PQ point of view, not worried about image retention or screen burn although these
    phosphor trailing issues are a bit off putting.

I didn't notice any phosphor trailing when i saw the 42PZ80 but seeing something set up in a store as apposed
    to in a home environment is completely different.

With my current LCD i absolutely love the brightness and detailing it produces especially with gaming
    and am worried i wont get the same effect with a plasma as it might look a little flat and soft in comparison.

Ive never owned a plasma before and am a complete novice so has anyone upgraded from an LCD
    to a plasma, and uses the X360, PS3, Blu-Ray or DVD if so what are the main PQ benfits of using a plasma
    compared to that of an LCD and am i just worrying about nothing?

Thankyou

2. alffjeld

alffjeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    many pro gamers use pioneer plasmas for their gaming, because it is the best one for their use.
    so i guess that if it is good enough for them to use plasmas, it should be good enough for the rest of us :thumbsup:

3. bladedripper

bladedripper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    If you can afford it get a pioneer ,if not the panasonic will be fantastic,just take it easy for the first 200 hours with lots of mixed viewing.:smashin:

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    I game on a PS3 / Panasonic plasma combination and have never had an issue.

I do have a colleague at work though , who is trying to get a plasma replaced after his son left it on overnight while playing a PS2 football game , he has 1-0 permanently burned into the screen.

I think he has an LG or a Samsung and only purchased just before christmas. Note that this was an extreme situation , no matter what type of screen you get you shouldn't let a static image stay on it for 8 hours or more like this !

5. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ive had 2 plasmas (3rd one coming tomorrow) all been pannys and never had an issue with gaming.
    As said for first couple of hundred hours gaming should be spread out as should TV chanel logos, easiest way is to pause game and change channel for 10-15 mins just to allow the TV refresh the screen a few times. when viewing TV I always flick around chan dureing adverts to get rid of logos.

Ive never had an issue with screen burn, Pannys are unheard of for burning although never say never and im sure leaving TV static for a good few hours will have a good go at it. I have noticed screen retention after some gaming but with seconds of TV constantly changing this soon goes.

As for phospur trails, cant say ive seen them either.

I would buy and enjoy, looking forward to my 3rd plasma coming tomorrow