Are Plasmas becoming troublesome?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by SteveTDCI, Nov 27, 2010.

1. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I'm tempted to upgrade our current 37" Panasonic Plasma for something bigger and am toying with the idea of the 46S20 as for the price it seems a bargin. We are having no issues with our current tv but looking on here there seems to be lots of problems from IR to buzzing, now if that going to be the case then i may have to consider the Samsung edgelit LED's although i much prefer the Plasma.

Looks wise the Samsung walks over the Panasonic range but i'm wondering if our room with quite a bit of natural light would work better with LED? some times our 26" Samsung in the bedroom looks really good but it annoys with pixalated images with some SD content so i guess the LED would still suffer from that.....

So should i not be put off by what i'm reading or should i browse the LED section?

2. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    You have to remember that the complaints on here represent a small fraction of the TV's sold, many owners are very happy with their plasmas. IR is not usually a problem, if it happens it's usually gone within a minute or so.

No LED/LCD will give you the natural quality of picture a plasma can but might be suited to a brightly lit room :)

Buzzing; you either get one or you don't (my two have been fine) if it's a problem you get it swapped! hope that helps :)

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    Totally concur with everything said by paulr2006 above. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Martin.

4. Stutto

Stutto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I think that the level of ambient noise and your hearing may also have something to do with it, the noise on my two G20's was quite high pitched and it really niggled me. :thumbsdow

Whether the compromises I have made in taking an LCD set instead prove to haunt me will remain to be seen...

PS my previous two TV's were Pannys - a 32" CRT and a 42PX70 and I can't fault either of them. The PX hummed but I never found it too intrusive.

5. jimbobarooney

jimbobarooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    if reported in the first 28 days its easy to get fixed, but i would say look in store, but buy offline, as the tv will be cheaper and you have added guards with the distance selling regs!

6. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Don't really think so to be honest; I have heard some noisy ones & they would drive me mad but on mine unless I put my ear very close behind the set you can hear nothing on full white. :)

7. Stutto

Stutto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Well, maybe I was unlucky? Both of mine were not really loud but it was more than I was willing to put up with. In contrast the display model in Comet seemed silent to me but then there are a lot of sources of noise in a shop.:confused:

From the accounts on these forums, I don't believe that it is simply a case of buzz or no buzz - the loudness of the buzz seems to vary too.

I have to admit, though, that for a few hours I did consider a 50G20 when JL dropped it to £949.

8. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    All plasma TVs buzz because the discharges in the individual sub-pixels make noise. However, when a TV is properly engineered & manufactured this buzz isn't audible in a normal environment. All three of my Vieras have been whisper quiet, wheres my Kuro could be heard from across the room. If a new plasma is making a distracting buzz then exchange it for one that doesn't.

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I have a V20, it buzzes, it is audible with low-no sound, it is the replacement of another buzzing V20...... edge lit LED?, are you MAD?? my god man, so it buzzes and Im not happy, but Id not go out and buy any LCD let alone an edge lit LED:laugh: IR is so not an issue with my set I use it as a monitor for my PC:eek: the shame! lol.....

...... pleas read with humor and a healthy dose of sarcasm. :D

10. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    our current plasma is fine with no buzz and yes i agree that forums are the worst place for finding out if something is reliable but when i searched here for the PX80 there didn't seem to be as many issues, i'm strongly tempted to go for the Panny 46" S20 at the moment, i feel the need to upgrade to HD since F1 is likely to be broadcast in that next year and i'm sure i read so was the BTCC, at £599 from amazon realistically thats only another £300 over a set top box, then i could sell the PX80 and probably only have to find a further £100 :)

11. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Think Id have an LG PK990 over the S20 my self, main reason for buying my V20 was the black level, S20 can get washed out from what Ive seen of the set. G20 and V20 are far better or like I say the PK590 IMHO. If 50s too big, Id spend a bit more and get the G.

12. tvdavid

tvdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    When its quite in my room with the sound really low and the screen has lots of white I can her the buzzing.

13. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    That's because all the sub-pixels are firing to produce a blend of colours that is white. Similarly increasing the screen brightness means more buzzing.

14. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    .......I hate buzzing...... buzz......buzz buzz..... ......buzz.....zzzzzz.....ahhh!!....sorry slipped out:D
    I had a mate round last night, he couldnt hear it, so I told him to just listen..., ''ah yep got it'' ....... ''ah man why did you tune me in, thats annoying'' Now hes tuned into it too ha haa.....wish I could tune out, I can sometimes but its still there. Not herd from Panasonic still, shock!