1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Plasmas about to become absolete?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rico bano, May 30, 2005.

1. rico bano

rico bano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking into buying either a new Plasma or LCD television. Im starting to go towards a plasma as i think the technology is a little bit more advanced, ie no motion blur etc etc compared to the LCD. However my wife (the boss) seems to think that Plasmas will stop being manufactured soon.

Does anyone now is this is true.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It might happen in the future, but not quite yet. Manufacturers don't like plasmas because they're not easy to make, and costly to transport because of the weight. However, if you want a flat panel over 37", there isn't much choice other than plasma. I predict that plasmas will be around for at least another 5 years.

3. rico bano

rico bano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to be honest im only really interested in a 32 inch as any bigger would be overwhelming in our living room. Thing is ive kind of been put of by LCD's. Im not sure the technology is quite there yet, and i want to be sure about it if im gonna spend 1200.

I went to a few retailers today and the picture quality on some of them was pretty bad, and that was coming from a DVD player.

Any suggestions.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well there is only 1 32 Plasma, and have CRTs stopped being made? still not yet!

5. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only LCD displays with decent PQ are Philips models(personal opinion obv.). You can pick up the discontinued Hitachi 32pd 5200 plasma for about 1100-1200

6. YorkieAnd

YorkieAnd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This to me is an interesting thread because I though plasma was the future. Nick says it will be around for 5 years but if it's not the future beyond 5 years what is please?

7. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD (up to 42" now), SED, LEP....the list goes on and on. Every so often we hear of a new screen technology, and yes most of them will appear at some point, but it may take a long time for them to be (a) cheap enough to buy mainstream as plasma is/has become, (b) easy enough to manufacture, (c) reliable, and (d) fine tuned to deliver the best performance; all not necessarily in that order.

Basically, whatever you buy today will become absolete eventually. Personally I think 5 years is far enough ahead, because by that time you will be itching to get a new screen anyway. :smashin:

8. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Each generation plasma is getting better and better, and cheaper. At this moment techniques like SED looks promising (crt quality), but maybe plasma is on par in 2 years. Which one is cheaper to produce wins eventually.

Panasonic announced a 50% price decrease for plasma in the coming 2 years, which means you can get a 42" for less. Still have to see if SED can match these prices.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    plasma's are expensive to make. LCD's are cheaper to produce (in the long run)
    cheaper is not always better
    I don't like the soft screens on LCD's, far too easy to damage IMHO

10. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where LCD is concerned I personally find the image too 'harsh'. For me plasma gives a much more natural looking image, probably down to the fact that plasma does not need a backlight.

LCD perfect for computer images tho'

11. stevekale

stevekale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The big problem with LCD is a lack of black generation - or more to the point too much passive light emmitance. They just don't cut it. Stick with a good plasma (eg the new Panasonic 500 series) and you won't be disappointed.