Are Pioneer Kuro TVs really worth the price premium still???

Doomlord_uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of low-usage 60" Kuro plasmas for sale recently on this forum - both sellers were asking north of £3000 for them... What I'm wondering is whether they really are worth that, or whether modern plasma tech has now superceded them anyway? I read a comment in another thread that the VTxx Pannys use the same tech, but with all the newer features too (like 3D :D ) and whilst there doesn't seem to be a 60" model (???) the 65" is about the same price that the older 60" Kuros are selling for.

So is it just nostalgia or retro bragging rights? Or is there a sound reason to want to pay north of three grand for a 2 year old Plasma?

Just to add, I'm asking here because I didn't want to crap in anyone's For Sale thread...

As a Kuro owner, I'd say yes they are worth it.

Whilst the latest Panasonic's are alleged to get close to the Kuro black level, those in the know say they are still not quite there yet...I suspect that's more likely to do with Panasonic drip feeding the tech slowly rather than current limitations on their tech.

After being a previous victim of floating blacks on a Panasonic, and with them being much more prone to screen burn... I simply don't trust them like I trust a Kuro.

Then there's proper on-board de-interlacing on the Kuros, accurate colours without banding, 72hz processing for 24p sources and decent build quality.

3D can go jump off a cliff for me. Kuro all the way!

I have to agree that the Pioneer Kuro TV's in fact Pioneer TV's as a whole have always been the best high end kit you could get.....

They won nearly every award imaginable when they were current and are still a really sought ater piece of kit. I would still gladly swap my 52" samsung for a old 50" pioneer (with similar usage) any day.

Thanks

:D I am a very happy Kuro owner.They are just awesome to watch and boy,do I watch a lot of tv!My wife and I are Just amazed at the picture and comment on it frequently.I dont even own a bluray player yet!:thumbsup:

As straight out 2D PQ, Kuro is still the best as I have a VT20 as well. I got a 5090 at extremely good price so you don't have to pay the earth.

I have to agree that the Pioneer Kuro TV's in fact Pioneer TV's as a whole have always been the best high end kit you could get.....

They won nearly every award imaginable when they were current and are still a really sought ater piece of kit. I would still gladly swap my 52" samsung for a old 50" pioneer (with similar usage) any day.

Thanks

Absolutely untrue. Pioneer wasn't even on top before the Kuro (8G). Prior to the Kuro, Panasonic made the highest end Plasma TV's. For example compare the PDP-507 against the 50PH9, it has noticeable worse black levels and suffered a lot more from IR. The same for generations prior to that, as matter of fact Pioneer was imfamous for their IR and burn-in. With the Kuro Pioneer made an amazing step in technology rarely seen in this business.

Well after reading the IR/screen burn problems on newer Panasonics, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that my 3 year old Kuro baby (428XD) doesn't have any such problems. Most of my viewing is SD and IMHO its the best 42" telly ever made for SD viewing at least. Kuro i love you

Categoric yes, if you want the best available.

Panasonic just doesn't cut it and it look like this years new panasonic appear to have the same major flaws of last year, and the year before.

If your not after the best of the best at least LG's are perfectly watchable.

Basically yes :D i own a v20 its good but no cigar, and you will get the usual kuro bashers but plain and simple there the best.

Last edited:
I have owned a kuro just over 2 years and it works perfectly, no judder, no funny blacks and SD pictures can be nearly as good as HD picture. It been perfect and the only reason I will be selling mine soon is because I want a larger TV. My missus doesn't want me to sell it because the picture is so good.

I haven't regretted buying one and what TV has held its value like a kuro.

Read the avforums review

AVForums.com - Pioneer KRP-500A 50inch Full HD 1080 Kuro Plasma Review

And read for yourself.

Depends on a bunch of factors, especially what's important to you in a picture,
I have a KURO and a Panasonic, the KURO beats the crap out of the Panasonic
on a bunch of issues, Panasonic has a cleaner image , free of noise , or at least
consistent noise.

Sometimes the Kuro can really produce the most realistic picture, nothing as yet
I've seen has matched it, but even on the KRP's I find noise in the picture
distracting, at least on the two I've seen.

The best advice you can ever get, is go see both and see what you think.

I will say that the Kuro's just dont' suffer from a bunch of the stupid crap
Panasonic STILL have not got right which is frustrating but the best TV I've
ever seen was an old Panasonic VX100, 50" version, not even hooked up
to a Radiance, just on it's own, the picture truly was like looking out of a
window.

The black issue can get done to death, ask Gordon and Liam about the
black issue, past a certain point, it's not as important as other factors and
this is guys who deal with dozens of sets in top end setups day on day.

Oh and if you watch a lot of SD, the KURO eats basically everything I've
ever seen, even the old 8 series, the SD processing is the business, on HD
, swings and roundabouts, I often prefer the Panasonic.

I have owned a kuro just over 2 years and it works perfectly, no judder, no funny blacks and SD pictures can be nearly as good as HD picture.

I can concur, sometimes I've questioned a programme being in SD or HD and had to click the info button on remote, to find that what I was viewing was actually in SD. One of the best purchases I have made, although dear when bought as new.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom