Are photo magazines a waste of time.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by ronh, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ronh

ronh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some months ago I realised that I was spending rather a lot of money on magazines. I decided therefore I would look at them first and only buy one that had something that was interesting. So to the August edition of Digital Camera. Good articles - yes I'll buy this one.
    Got home, had a coffee and read through the magazine. Put the disc into the PC and watched a couple of tutorials. All jolly good.
    I then take it to put on the pile of read magazines, only to find staring at me from the top of the pile, the very one that I had just purchased.
    My theory then is this. If I plainly can't remember something that I read three weeks ago, then I don't need to buy any of them. I realise of course this only applies to me.
    What about the video tutorials you may ask. Well the March edition of Digital Photo had a very seductive CD entitled - Digital Portraits The ultimate how to guide. I have elements and only one of the tutorials was for this programme. It was difficult to ascertain this looking through the magazine. It was also a pretty obscure lesson for something you're not likely to want to do. All the interesting stuff like retouching portraits was for CS.
    So as the title, are they a waste of time when you can keep pretty much up todate reading forums such as this one.

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I use CS2/ Elements , am on here a lot , have a time consuming full time Job ( + 2 boisterous kids) as Im sure a lot of us do.. and Only 24 hrs a day!

But still buy them:devil:

I would have subscribed but find it more satisfying to browse through them first then and decide which months issue I dont find as useful.. So far that hasnt happened:rolleyes:

One reason you may forget tutorials is that you may not use the techniques enough
    As such it hasn't become a "habit".. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff about that as the techniques you use a lot will get to be second nature eventually

Sorry to go off tangent ..
    Only you can decide if the magazines are gobbling up your precious cash but seeing it done is the next best thing to actually having someone around show you.. and even that you can forget if you don't use the techniques often enough. Just avoid buying Clones and simlar topics rehashed:rolleyes:!

I see the magazines as invaluable and complimentary to what one learns on here. It is the time to keep taking the photos and practice the PP skills that seems to be more difficult to spare:eek:!

3. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Generally, yes. I'm a bit of an addict as well. Same for motorbike magazines.

I get the camera mags to sponge all the latest stuff on new cameras, check out the ads for stuff I cant afford, and get some tips for new ideas.

A lot of them are much the same as each other though. Jeez - not another panorama tutorial for example. I do like the more "pro" orientated mags as they tend to have more creative and interesting articles rather than the usual dull percentage based tests & comparisons.

If you want camera info, the net is the best place to go. I particularly like the real-world reviews on www.fredmiranda.com/reviews which is the first place I turn to when buying new lenses (or more rarely a body). Also, being a Canon user, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ is good too. Cheaper than buying the mags. However, there's always something about having the latest Digital Photographer to have a look through.

4. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    They can brighten a dull day though, albeit briefly:cool:

5. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I rarely buy photo magazines as, like Tobers I rely on forums internet reviews for my information and, more importantly.........real peoples opinions, en masse.

I subscribe to AG magazine which isn't cheap but I like its style and content, more like a book than a magaznie.

6. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I went the other way......Was a subscriber mainly to the early computer arts stuff this was due to my first grown up job ;). Then I moved away from them and started to use the internet, but that never lasted long. As you can spend years reading and watching stuff and you can then get overloaded with information.

My new trick is to view more images and that only. ;)

7. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    I subscribed to one, only costs £39 a year and I got a free micro trekker 200 worth £40 - I needed a bigger bag so it was a no brainer

Other than that one I just read the others in smiths on a lunch time ;)

8. ilweran

ilweran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I buy them occasionally, if something catches my eye & I need something to read on the bus. I don't spend much on magazines- don't buy any of that womens/fashion/soaps/celebrity gossip nonsense, so if like this morning I stop off in Smiths & pick a couple of photography mags I don't feel I'm wasting money or time :D

9. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    Most are too basic for me and i am just a beginner really!

IMO, the best is Digital Photo - it's a bit more advanced and it usually has much more content than most other mags, although it tends to be more aimed at Photoshop than photography per say.

I love magazines, it's nice to get away from electronics IMO. Paper is still the best medium to read for any extended period. And even if i was happy with just the internet, i dont want to take my laptop to work/bus/garden/bed/toilet. And, oh yeah, i don't even have a laptop!

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    I tend to look though the contents to see if there is somethign interesting then if there is I buy. I do find the ones with interviews and the more Pro ones more interesting to read. I also, like Steve, Enjoy the mags that are more about the photogrpaher and the photo rather than the technicalities and the mechanics. AG and Photoicon are a couple that spring to mind. AG is the sort of thing you probably have to go to Borders for rather than WH Smith.

Gordon

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I subscribe directly through www.picture-box.com