1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are people trying to tell me something?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KoThreads, Sep 5, 2005.

1. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Just read that Captain Benefit is off and made me wonder as on Sunday another couple I know told me they are going to Florida on the 25th as they had had enough of this dump with Blair and his crew wrecking this country.

So over the past eighteen months I have now said goodbuy to, wait for it, 9 couples, 4 women and 3 men to all over the world. Some have had children who have said they just don't want their children growing up here.

I know loads more who are thinking of going, and almost eveyone I know hates the U.K.

So does everyone think like this, or am I just so awfull that people want to get away from me?

I'd like to add I've no plans, or reasons, to leave, that's why I wondered if it was me.

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Well I'm quite happy in my little corner of Lootown , so it must be

Only joking :D

John

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Nope. I like this country for all its faults. Grass is always greener on the other side and I tend to think for the most part people take their problems wherever they choose to go.I have yet to meet anyone who hates the UK. If they do then maybe its good riddance.My bet is they will soon find fault wherever they migrate to.ITs plain stupid to blame a politician for "wrecking" this country which is far from being a wreck. If it was choice between our lot and some of the clowns running other countries I'll stick to our own .

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    :thumbsup: :smashin: :clap:

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Meaning I agree with LGS.

6. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    In the past 3 years, I've known 3 couple move away. 1 to Canada, 1 to the US and 1 to New Zealand. None of them moved because they think this place is a wreck, or through hating the place. They just had an opportunity to experience a different lifestyle for a few years. They all intend to return at some point.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Never ceases to amaze me when people vote a Labour government in, and then seem surprised when taxes go up, and it all goes pear-shaped. Maybe they weren't around to see it happen last time. I would be off to The Canaries like a shot, if my business interests weren't keeping me here.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I wonder if I can blame Blair for me going pear shaped over the last year ? It's all his fault that I'm on Slimfast and no alcohol ;)

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Pear shaped????? not where I'm standing

10. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did the people who were leaving know that you were staying? :devil:

11. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are quite right about people taking their problems elsewhere and soon finding fault. I've met quite a few Europeans, sorry to say but also quite a few Brits, that were quite disgruntled about life here in America. Barely here and right away they expected the culture, laws, and social policies to somehow change to accomodate them. The irony being they wanted much of what they left behind.

Really amazing and amusing to hear. A bit sad too. You got the sense these people wouldn't be happy anywhere.

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Don't know what's worse - Blairite Britain or Americaland and George Dubyah!! Lets hope El Nino isn't too bad this year, New Orleans doesn't instil the greatest amount of faith in US emergency procedures....

13. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Uk has gone Tax mad. I dont mind paying taxes but when they just give it away to lazy people who work the system I get angry. Austrailia has the right idea, a certain amount of time allowed on the dole and then no more money. I have 2 cousins (33 and 31 years old) and they have never worked a day in their life. The eldest goes on 5-6 holidays a year.

I personally would like to live some where tropical and return back to the UK for my hols to see family and friends. I would be off in a shot if it wasnt for my buisness.

I have lived in Italy (2 years), Brazil (1 year), Indonesia (1 year). I love traveling.

:)

14. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I didn't vote Labour :eek: . I hate tax, and i'm comfortable not well off. All the people who left were well off.

The only reason i would go after thinking about it all night would be because of the stupid Summers we get here.

I can handle the winter as the last bad one here was 87 but the summer, this ones a fine example, has either been dark and miserable one minute, or schorching hot and humid so that as soon as you move your sweating buckets.

I didn't have a hol this year as i wanted to upgrade all the hi-fi home cinema and the money i saved is going to give me more pleasure for longer. But i do wish people would stop saying i need a break. I don't.

15. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Yep, I'm with you on that one. So much so that I bought a place a France earlier this year - just that bit more pleasant during the summer and close enough to Blighty to pop over for the odd long weekend.

I'd like to think I might live somewhere other than the UK at some point in my life but at the moment i'm pretty content with my existence so it seems unlikely - that could all change though.

16. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would never emigrate but the tax system here, as been pointed out, really is discouraging.
    1 - You pay tax on your income.
    2 - Some of what's left over you save/invest. You pay tax on that.
    3 - Some of what's left over you put into a pension scheme. You pay tax on that.
    4 - When you finally get your pension you pay tax on that.
    5 - Whenever you buy practically anything you pay tax.
    I don't know if anyone's ever tried to work out the average proportion of a lifetime's earnings that goes in tax in one way or another, but it must be pretty frightening.

17. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,778
    Have to agree as well.
    I lived abroad for many years. No country is perfect, but ours is where I want to live.
    As for the politics.
    Has anybody else noticed, but some people aren't happy whoever is in power. Somehow things were always better in the past, Talk about short memories.
    Is it my imagination or did the last government preside over mortgage rates of 15%. Did unemployment reach not 3.5m official - 5m unnofficial. did they not do away with the minimum wage and then fight tooth and nail to prevent its re-introduction. Not to mention cabinet ministers who spent time at he Majestys pleasure or the collapse of the ERM that devalued Britain by 15% literally overnight.

I do NOT raise these examples to argue that one party is better than another. I know the present Government have failings that can be listed.
    My point is about keeping a perspective and appreciating what you have got rather than living in a dream world where the grass is always greener.
    Have you noticed that its usually these same people who say "I don't vote, the're all as bad as each other". Thats their "positive" contribution.
    Its a pity more people don't follow JFKs' great words :-
    Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

18. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Depending on what sector you work in, paying tax isn't that bad. Talking to many teachers, they think that overall, it has become a much more pleasant job with more TA's, resources and reduced workload. That all translates into better educated children, who then go on to be more productive adults in later lives and pay relatively more taxes. The same goes for better healthcare

You could argue that in the long run it is a fantastic thing to have higher taxes, as what cost would you place on your child's education or your health.

Money is a transitory illusion :D

19. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry, my post must have been misleading. I have no problem with income tax - indeed, it must be the fairest way to finance a country's economy - it's the number of times we're taxed that I find appalling. I have a feeling that if income tax were 80 per cent and there were no other taxes, we'd actually be better off.

20. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    But if you didn't work you'd be even better off. :)

21. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I used to know a FSA and he said that if you include all tax i.e. vat, NIC, Council Tax, Insurance tax, death duties, petrol, the lot, every one you can think of it totals 76% on everything the average person earns. That was about two years ago. Staggering isn't it

22. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Would I be the only person to say that if i could pay say 65% in income tax (BR tax payer) and no more tax anywhere that i would be quite happy to do that how many would agree?

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    They waste our cash on people who don't deserve it and councils who basically flush the cash down the toilet. The NHS is a mess with waiting times going into the years. Single mums getting houses for spreading their legs. Tax is the biggest con going and its legal. People working cash in hand and claiming at the same time. We are all prisoners to the government, we are not free at all. In this country the harder you work the more they take. When a loved one dies they even tax you then on your inheritance, which they would of paid tax on many years ago, how wrong is that. I run my own business and the amount of tax taken is outragous.

Congestion charge, parking tickets, vat, income tax, national insurance twice (once for company and once for employee), fuel etc.....

eg. charge £100 to a client

17.5% vat (£15)= £85
    10.5% national insurance = £76.08
    9.5% national insurance = £68.58
    23% Income tax = £51.74 (or 40% if you have earned more. £41.15)
    £7 congestion charge = £44.74 (£34.14)

Then you have all your running costs, phone, premises, insurance and advertising to take out. Basically your left with hardly anything out of the original £100.

(BTW if my figures are slightly out then I apologize my accountant handles all my books)

I don't know how true this is but I have heard that in Florida you only get taxed @ 6% as the tourism industry is so lucrative. 6% to me seems a much fairer figure. Wasn't it the beatles who left the UK to live in the US as the UK government were charing them 90% tax all those years ago?

24. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,405
    I have a looooooong list of people I wish would emigrate...

25. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Road tax, anyone for any more?

Apart from sex, which probably does have some sort of tax somewhere, i can't think of a single thing that has no tax. Even food and clothes have tax included in the price because of manufacturing, transport even it they are VAT exempt.

In fact the more you think the more you realise just how much you do pay.

And pensions, please, the government go on about people must put more in when Mr Brown takes more out now than ever.

We live in a stealth dictatorship, not a democracy.

I'm really getting p****d now just thinking of what the hell happens to all this money.

26. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The trouble with tax is that the majority of it isn't assessed.

They should scrap council tax, bring in a local income tax. They should scrap tax on the basic state pension, and adjust the tax on private pensions to recoup any losses.

Scrap road tax, bring in a fairer sliding scale that exempts people with an engine below 1.6 L and hybrid engines, and whack it on the ****ers who drive a 4 litre land rover through london! :rolleyes:

State benefits, csa, tax credits should all be abolished and means tested more fairly in relation to the motivation of people's willingness to return to work. Perhaps more tax relief for lower earners, by raising the tax threshold to around £8,000 instead of £4,700, credit on your income tax against proof of hired child-minders, etc. Also, rising the minimum wage to £7.50 an hour or there abouts would benefit the economy enormously IMHO.

They should also raise the stamp duty threshold to the average cost of a family home, which I believe is about £180,000, and adjust it regionally. Recouping the cost against people with homes £500,000+ (arbitrarily)

Death tax (sorry inheritance tax) should also be radically reformed and made massively more fair for the average bloke. Again by perhaps raising the threshold, or adjusting it against your current earnings, again adjusted depending on future circumstances.

I view tax as a contribution to the upkeep of our country and don't begrudge one penny of it. I begrudge people taking advantage of the state should be tackled under the new "treason" law being bandied about as well. A hefty fine, and enforced work should sort it out ;)

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

28. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Good points Games Guru but means testing has to be got right.

It's been said on many ocasions that means testing works in favour of some people while leaving others wanting.

If I saved all my life, as many do, and then find that my saving has all been for nothing, because someone else hadn't bothered and i was punished because of it i would be furious.

Means testing should be done on all income, no matter where from. And by that i mean that if i had saved a fortune, already having paid tax on it countless times by then, then the capital shouldn't be included, but any income i got from it should be.

29. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    They are clamping down on tax dodgers, benefit fraudsters etc, which I think is great. How else do you suggest we could deal with these types of people?

There should also be more tax free saving plans available as well, along the lines of an ISA but without a degree in economics to understand! ;)

30. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    You can't. Unless you adopt authoritarian type methods. The US 'claims' to have got tough on benefits, but then you hear US peeps doing Razor type rants ;) about how single mums get 'handouts' as do 'immigrants' etc.

People need to distinguish between what is really going on and what the right wing press want us to believe is going on.

We have a country now in which the current govts sources of income have been curtailed by the last, where long term work (jobs for life), which kept up a stable tax flow, is now non existant. Heavy industry has gone, and our skills base severely eroded. Pensions have gone along with those jobs for life, and with us importing everything so has our trade deficit. Like or not Blair inherited the majority of those problems. And yes, I would agree he's not done nearly enough to deal with them though.

All Blair has done, economy wise, is maintain the status quo he inherited from Major. Frankly, if you don't like guys it, you should have done something about it back then. It's too late now.

The Next Tory govt will not reduce taxation as they know as well as Blair does that to do so would curtail their ability to maintain the NHS even in it's current state. Basically we are 'F'd all ways. Bring in the Tories and we get even more useless privitisation, and tax just moved about and hidden in other ways. Keep Blurt and the boys and more of the same............

I agree with Siete though. Having seem the mess so many other countires are in we need to grateful for what we've got, no matter how flawed it is.