Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Are PC's very fussy with scratched DVD's?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dan1979, Nov 9, 2004.

1. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I don't own a stand alone player any more to compare but I've been using online DVD rentals and I keep getting discs with scratches and they won't play.

The other day I watched 31 minutes of a film which promptly locked up my machine and today I've got just 26 minutes into a film which has locked up.

I've tried windows media player, powerdvd, windvd and in every one of them at a specific point the disc playback freezes and the app locks up and task manager says not responding.

This is really annoying as it keeps happening with rental discs as most of them have at least some scratching.

Now its screwed up my system and is telling me I can't play back my DVD's because I have TV-out enabled - I haven't got anything plugged in there, I haven't touched the settings for it and now I don't know how to get rid of it.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I depends on the DVD drive, from memory Sony and Hitachi drives that I've used have been pretty poor, Pioneer was OK, Toshiba better.

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I just tried it on another PC, it did a better job and managed to get past that point eventually but it still froze and eventually jumped forward about a minute on.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That sounds like it's trying to stop you being able to record it on a VCR .. brain-dead Digital Restrictions Management at work :mad: .. odd, I thought DVDs had Macrovision to counter that. :confused:

Anyhow, I can't begin to think why but I suspect if you go into the video card's control panel you'll find the TV-Out has indeed been enabled even though you've nothing plugged into it.

As for drives, Sony DVD-R drives are known to be factory set in order to try to prevent them readng some types of media, again anti-'piracy' cr@p, sometimes this makes them less tolerant of medai faults on genuine factory-pressed DVD-Rs.

5. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I'm not sure what was going on with the TV-out thing, its stopped saying it after a reboot however if I tried to play the dvd in question again it would complain about tv-out in all my dvd software, another reboot and everything else worked fine except for that dvd which kept setting it off - bizzare!

I can't do anything with the scratched dvd's I've tried ripping to hard drive but it won't let me do that either so any scratches = totally unwatchable.

6. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Try AnyDVD - it will disable macrovision. I suspect thats the issue as its trying to go out over the Svideo.

Rental copies maybe scratched but Ive never had an issue with them. I have a Samsung and Pioneer DVD drive.

The scratches have to be very serious to disrupt the playback.

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I run a HTPC and find my Pioneer DVD writer to be a lot better than a stand alone DVD player. If you have problems playing DVDs try decrypting them to your HDD with DVD decrypter and playing them from there. DVD decrypter and various other decrypting software will retry, and vary the drive speed in an attempt to retreive the information of the DVD.

8. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I've used DVD decrypter and DVD shrink neither of them will work, they retry but eventually fail.

9. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Sounds like you have some serious issues with your pc to be honest.

10. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Serious serious PC problems. I've had various DVD drives (3 or 4) in various PCs and decryted films which won't play, or jump like mad on standard DVD players. It sounds like you have a dodgy DVD drive :(