Are PCs as powerful as the Xbox 360 yet?

tvdavid

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondering now that AMD and INTEL have got new processors for PCs and with faster RAM and other bits are they as powerful as the xbox 360 now?

IF not when when will PCs start to be better?

Due to its architecture, it is not really sensible to compare the Xbox360 with a PC.

There are plenty of PC's which are many times more powerful then the Xbox360 in terms of raw processing power, and many PC graphics cards that are much more capable than the 360's GPU.

But then they don't cost less than £300 and sit under your TV in a hassle free manner!

Steve

And they require VERY LARGE & NOISY COOLING FANS!!!

They also have a full operating system running on it which isn't dedicated to a games machine

dynamic turtle said:
And they require VERY LARGE & NOISY COOLING FANS!!!
Yeah - nearly as noisy as the DVD drive in an XBOX 360!!!

It was a joke... The DVD drive on the 360 is extremely noisy though :) - just as most PC's are.

It is possible to make quiet PC's but it's quite a challenge to make them quiet *and* fast.

...and not catch fire! :)

stevelup said:
It was a joke... The DVD drive on the 360 is extremely noisy though :) - just as most PC's are.

It is possible to make quiet PC's but it's quite a challenge to make them quiet *and* fast.

Mac and me in a tree k i double ss i n g !

Macpro

Droooool .... one day soon. Quiet as well. The Quad is good too.

Check out the memory upgrades available as well. £4k for 16gb ha ha on top! £8K on a Quad.

A state-of-the-art processor, it makes Mac Pro one of the fastest desktop computers on the planet.

stevelup said:
It was a joke...
Ah ok, wasn't sure. There are a few people around that seem to massively exagerate the 360's loudness.

Maybe this varies from unit to unit because mine is bloody loud.

Far, far louder than my ShuttlePC. In fact, the 360 is louder than everything in my room put together including my projector.

Steve

lol... the fan on my 7900GT alone is louder than my 360, nevermind the other 2 fans in my PC... although my 360 is only a few weeks old with a March production date so maybe I got a quiet one.

Also, NFS:MW on my PC looks soooooooooooo much better on my PC than on the 360. Colours are more vibrant, less jaggies, better frame rate. Far Cry is the same.

I reckon the PC is a better platform for gaming if you have a good set-up but as someone else said.. a good PC doesnt cost less than £300. Hell, a good GPU costs that!

Dont get me wrong though, I love my 360 and have always enjoyed console gaming more, with the exception of FPS games which I think are always better on a decent PC.

All IMO obviously....

best way to make a fast quiet PC .... throw water in:eek:

I think that the main different is ease of use. You can find/build better/faster PC but nothing as simple as buy disk put disk in play....

what people always forget tho is that you might pay say £1,000 for a PC that now (since Conroe launch anyhow) will give you what a 360 does in performence, but if you do buy a lot of games, you'll save almost the difference in the long run........ok you can buy second hand, but a lot of people dont, they buy brand new (if they didnt there wouldnt be second hand games for the others to buy..lol), so if someone gets their console games for the £45 average price and the PC user gets them for the £30 average price, thats £15 a game, so only 6 games later and you make up £100....factor in that most extras for PC games are given free as patches with only full blown expansions costing more you can happily add another £5 say per game for what the 360 costs you in MS points to upload a few new cars or something......now i'd say most owners of either console or PC will buy around 8 games a year as an average (some less, some a lot more) so over say 3 years thats around 24 games so you'd be looking at the 360 ends up costing you around £400-£500 more........then consider the PC allows you to do use it for a lot more than just the games and the extra few hundred difference is soon made up.....

so both are as good as each other, if you literally only want a cheap box to play games on now and again and are not likely to buy more than a few games, get a 360.......if you want to go hardcore with your gaming, plus do work/study etc then a PC is probably a more suitable investment.......(btw, by hardcore with gaming, i mean play what you buy, download extra bits, mods, possibly make maps, or even mods yourself...really get stuck in basically)

anyhow, just my 2 bits worth...heh

If youve got the cash get a PC. My 6800 GT and athlon 64 3500 has better graphics and framerate than the 360.

The 360 is outdated already, sad but true. I give it another year and half and it will look pathetic compared to PCs.

Some good points there Knyght_byte, but you didnt factor in that over that period you would have no doubt had to upgrade some part on your PC. Also... a saving over a few years is never as good as a saving on the initial outlay.

The way I see it...software dictates the hardware on PC, whereas hardware dictates the software for consoles.

PCs = Better if you have the time, money and know-how
Consoles = Better for quick, easy fun!

Again, all IMO.

Graphics wise, not one PC graphics card can handle the full power 360 graphics, due to the 360 being in the DX10 zone. But if you have 2 powerful current PC graphic cards or 4, then it can rival the speed, but it still cannot handle DX10 graphics.

Also the only home dual core CPU, which can rival the 360's CPU at times, is the Intel Core 2 Duo. But the only way a home CPU can rival the 360's CPU, is when the quad core CPU's come out.

stepp said:
If youve got the cash get a PC. My 6800 GT and athlon 64 3500 has better graphics and framerate than the 360.

The 360 is outdated already, sad but true. I give it another year and half and it will look pathetic compared to PCs.

And how much did your PC cost you? I think saying that the 360 will look pathetic in comparison is presumptious, the system is not even a year old! Besides, not a huge amount of people have their PC hooked up to a plasma, projector, etc... the 360 brings high-res gaming to the masses.

Since when did a console ever play it's best cards up front? A gaming PC needs more time, for me, to get the full value from it - if you haven't got the time to invest then I see little point.

So PCs are powerful than the xbox 360 are they also more powerful than the PS3?
If so then by the time the PS3 comes out its going to be well out dated by this rate.

It's not really comparing apples with apples though is it....

360 vs PS3 yeah... but 360 vs PC, or PS3 vs PC isnt.

You dont compare a dedicated F1 car with a standard car you buy in a garage. Sure they're both cars but that's not the point.

Poor comparisson there, I know.

stepp said:

Not today it isn't.

In a year and a half, the 360 will be nearly 2 and a half years old, of course new PC technology will have overtaken it.

These threads have been appearing since the 360 was launched and inevitabely the day will come when the PC is clearly the stronger platform but I don't believe that day is today.

We've yet to see anything close to the full potential of the 360 being used. Let's come back to this thread in 3 years time and then tell me if the PC's of today are better than the 360. I doubt very much if the software we will be seeing towards the end of the 360's life would be possible PC's that were high end last December when the 360 launched.

well, all i know is that when i look at a 360 in all its glory, and then look at a £1,000 PC with the best kit you can get for the money, there isnt a whole lot of difference...lol.....mainly subtle ones....

especially when you consider the PC can run to higher resolutions....the 360 is stuck on 720...

(altho to be fair my PJ is 720p so both my computer and 360 run on the same ressie..lol...my computers older and slower tho....havnt run GRAW on it yet tho, must do that one day and do a comparison...heh)

oh as for the upgrade comment, well, yes, you would eventually upgrade a PC, but then you'd eventually buy a new console after 3 or 4 years, the difference is you cant upgrade the parts in a console after 1 or 2 years, you can a PC......add memory or whatever if you choose too.....if you wanted, but if a PC and the console at the outset were of more or less equal ability, then you wouldnt need to upgrade the PC to beat the console would you?..heh

anyhow, works over, time to play...hurray!...

quick edit: oh and btw, if they can make the graphics chips to go in the 360, they can make them to go in a computer....fairly obvious that.....they dont because they want to milk the console owners first, then put them in graphics cards and milk the PC owners plus the Console & PC owners a second time........altho i dont think they will leave it too much longer, with Media Centre PC's gaining ground i got the feeling that more powerful graphics cards will be implemented sooner rather than later or they'll lose out on sales...

Though I do agree partly with you Knight Byte mate (loving my RS8s by the way ;)) I think the Hardcore gamer thing is a bit miss placed.

Sure there's plenty of games to get 'really' stuck into in the PC world, from a modding point of view especialy. And I've been a graph in the games industry so I know this too well. But there are so many games that are exclusive to consoles, that PC's never get. Some fantastic experiences only on consoles.

I do consider myself a hardcore gamer, and prefer consoles.

ha,ha, TBH, I prefer my Dreamcast to anything. But that's just me, I love SEGA and I luuurve my dreamcast ;)

Not to mention when I had a Neo Geo - don't start me off on PC emulation:Di only do that now 'cause I couldn't afford my neo anymore :(

Pah!
Nobody here has the faintest idea of what they are talking about.
The Xbox has certain advantages over the PC in terms of raw number crunching performance given it's Womblegrundy X10-30 Delta/MicroPeenis z70 chipset complete with 2 (F.O.Rum) threads per (A.P.Pul) core. The P.C wins out on resolution and frame rate issues due to a DolBy C circuit and RoDIMus P.rime/Artex/Primula architecture.
Learn from someone who knows what he is talking about.

Steve.EX said:
Pah!
Nobody here has the faintest idea of what they are talking about.
The Xbox has certain advantages over the PC in terms of raw number crunching performance given it's Womblegrundy X10-30 Delta/MicroPeenis z70 chipset complete with 2 (F.O.Rum) threads per (A.P.Pul) core. The P.C wins out on resolution and frame rate issues due to a DolBy C circuit and RoDIMus P.rime/Artex/Primula architecture.
Learn from someone who knows what he is talking about.
And I think that's the end of it, can't argue with that! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom