Are Panasonic Recorders the best?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Barry W, May 5, 2005.

1. Barry W

Barry W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading it seems as though the general consensus is that Panasonics are the best but I have heard that when you record a programme that is broadcast in semi widescreen for example most dramas and soap operas when you try to play it back you find it plays back in a similar style to the way the programme is broadcast digitally on the Sky platform ie the bands at the top and bottom of the picture are gone and to compensate the left and right hand edges of the picture are lost.

What I am interested in is the following:

1. Does this happen in

a) Recordings made to a Panasonic HDD

b) Recordings made in DVD-R

c) Recordings made in DVD-RW (if they do that)

d) Recordings made in DVD Ram

e) Does it vary from model to model

2. If some or all of the above happen then is this peculiar to Panasonic or do other manufacturers have this problem?

3. Assuming what I have heard is correct is anybody else concerned about this and trying to do something about it?

4. Again assuming..... can someone explain to me why this has happened after all what everyone wants is exactly the same facilities you get with a VCR without the tape and a better quality picture. With a VCR WYSIWYG and that is always the better system.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Have a look at this Q&A for an answer.