Are normal (interlaced) TV pictures really bad with Sanyo Z4?

dave48

This thread is going off at a bit of a tangent from a recent thread I had going but I had one specific question ...

I have been looking at a new projector: having read a lot the Sanyo Z4 is the current favourite for a range of reasons. The only outstanding issue is that I have read that the picture with normal (interlaced) TV is not brilliant: is it really bad, or just a bit worse than some others out there? Does it make any difference which connection you use between Sat receiver / projector? (E.g. S-VHS; component; anything else). Is there a PC solution which can provide a digital / HDMI or whatever connection to the projector?

I don't see it as a full TV replacement but I'd certainly like to watch some normal TV on it - particularly sports. The main signal source is digital satellite.

I'm itching to go and get it now, but before I hand over the cash I wanted to check this. I'm guessing that in a year or two it will be more common to have sat receivers outputting progressive scan and/or HD signals, so any "problem" would go away anyway; or am I being naive here?

jaxton

Standard Member
hi dave48

Picture quality from NTL digital TV to the Sanyo Z4 in my opinion is fine, but it is not DVD quality of course. I think, like so many of the reviews you read about all the recent projectors, is that they are splitting hairs mostly.

It depends greatly on the channel that you are watching. I have watched a few long films from the TV signal and find the slight quality reduction (compared to DVD) is not an issue after 5mins into the film, which is a pretty good test I believe. Poor DVDs can sometimes look worse in my opinion.

I changed the setting on my NTL box from letterbox to 16:9 and it made a hugh improvement to the picture quality on the Z4 (I had the NTL connected to a 4:3 TV before I bought my high-def TV). I am sure some people here know why this happened.
My point is that getting the settings right will make a big difference. Also don't go for the harsher Z4 settings (vivid, dynamic, powerful etc) when watching the TV, as they show up the imperfections very well in any source.

Concerning the quality of high-def TV through a high-def projector? Personally I wouldn't hold my breath, save up for a good HD-DVD / Blue Ray player instead.

boksbox

dave48 said:
This thread is going off at a bit of a tangent from a recent thread I had going but I had one specific question ...

I have been looking at a new projector: having read a lot the Sanyo Z4 is the current favourite for a range of reasons. The only outstanding issue is that I have read that the picture with normal (interlaced) TV is not brilliant: is it really bad, or just a bit worse than some others out there? Does it make any difference which connection you use between Sat receiver / projector? (E.g. S-VHS; component; anything else). Is there a PC solution which can provide a digital / HDMI or whatever connection to the projector?

I don't see it as a full TV replacement but I'd certainly like to watch some normal TV on it - particularly sports. The main signal source is digital satellite.

I'm itching to go and get it now, but before I hand over the cash I wanted to check this. I'm guessing that in a year or two it will be more common to have sat receivers outputting progressive scan and/or HD signals, so any "problem" would go away anyway; or am I being naive here?

I have the Hitachi PJTX200 which supposedly has the same problems as the Z4 in regard to deinterlacing TV.

I connect my telewest TV drive via HDMI, I tried the grand prix a few weeks ago and it was rubbish, however other programmes such as Dr Who or CSI look fabulous, of course HD TV and films are brilliant as you might expect, I assume a similar performance on the Z4, no need to wait for a HD DVD player.

linkster

hornydragon said:
you can always add an off board de-interlacer and feed the PJ a progressive signal
this. I bought the iScan HD and other than some occasional combing which I still haven't figured out it makes DVDs and channels which I found annoyingly grainy before through the Z4 look simply fantastic. Also it clears up all the artefacts from stuff I recorded onto my RDXS32. If you can pick one up for a few hundred like I did it's an essential addition IMO.

dave48

Mmm this looks a highly tempting option! However the iScan HD seems to be €1,000 and upwards (I'm currently over in Germany so end up having to do most of my home entertainment shopping here). Is the iScan Ultra any good or is that already (partly) obsolete? It (HD) does seem exactly what I would need - is there a steady souuce of these at a few £100 or were you lucky? :)

linkster

I paid £450 from this forum (a German, oddly enough) which is quite a lot I think for the HD, not too unhappy but if I'd been more patient... you should be able to get for around £300 if you try eBay or the trading forum.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
dave48 said:
Mmm this looks a highly tempting option! However the iScan HD seems to be €1,000 and upwards (I'm currently over in Germany so end up having to do most of my home entertainment shopping here).
thats way over the top mate should be cheaper in germany......try german ebay as the manufacturer is tough on web retailers. the HD+ will be €1000 but the HD should be around €800 new

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom