Question Are "new" Sky+ HD boxes still available?

DrPL

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I understand that Sky is keen for new customers to move from HD to Q, but we are unlikely to get Q as there is a huge copse of trees outside out house, and the sky engineer who came round today says an option is to stick with HD.
However, we are not "new" customers. We have been with Sky since 2006. The previous owner of our property had a cable routed from next door neighbours dish (they are also HD), but we would like our own dish.
The problem is the HD box. Ours is so old it is on its last legs, so we need a new, or refurbished one. I doubt if Sky has a cache of new and unused boxes, but can they provide a 2nd hand/refurbished/reconditioned one?

I forgot to ask: is it still possible to get Sky multi-room if I go via the HD rather than Q approach?

The problem is the HD box. Ours is so old it is on its last legs, so we need a new, or refurbished one. I doubt if Sky has a cache of new and unused boxes, but can they provide a 2nd hand/refurbished/reconditioned one?

My Amstrad box packed in last week, initially starting freezing on playback, then became sluggish to change menu. Did the Planner Rebuild and the System Reset, came back in Diskless Mode, lost all recordings as expected. Tried again worked OK for a couple of days then froze.

Anyway, I rang SKY, they offered SKY Q plus a mini for £20 including an engineer visit to change LNB.

I told them I can't take time off work for an engineer visit, so I want an ordinary SKY HD box. They offered me a refurbished box for £30 including 90 day warranty. I told them I wasn't going to pay for it as I'm already paying more subscription than anybody I know. They wouldn't budge on the £30.

They then offered to reduce my Entertainment + SKY Sports + Box Sets subscription to £35 if I ordered SKY Q. Told me I would be charged £10 every 6 months for insurance to cover call outs, the SKY Q is theirs indefinitely. I refused that deal.

I told them to cancel.

They asked why, so I told them I don't want an engineer visit, and just want a free self-install SKY HD box, I'm not paying £30 for a used box. I asked whether they had any new SKY HD boxes, they said they could send me a brand new 1tb box for £214 or a brand new 2tb box for £314. I told them that's too much.

Eventually they offered me a silver 2tb SKY Q box, a Mini box, and 'free' engineer installation, no requirement to pay £10 every 6 months, and a reduced subscription for the same package down to £35.

I refused that deal. They agreed to send me a refurbished SKY HD box free of charge for self-install, but wouldn't reduce my subscription. I agreed to that because it's what I had before.

Apologies that's a bit long but it may answer your question.

Hi,
I understand that Sky is keen for new customers to move from HD to Q, but we are unlikely to get Q as there is a huge copse of trees outside out house, and the sky engineer who came round today says an option is to stick with HD.

Sky don't send engineers round. He was an installer. Their engineers stay in Osterley.

Hi,
However, we are not "new" customers. We have been with Sky since 2006. The previous owner of our property had a cable routed from next door neighbours dish (they are also HD), but we would like our own dish.
I got rid of sky as I had enough of the extortionate fees, and I had fairly recently had a new box as my old one gave up the ghost. I'm more than happy to post you mine if it would help, it's sitting in my wardrobe doing nothing at the moment.

Thanks mate, that sounds great. Would it be OK to hold off on a proper reply as I have just escalated my complaint with Sky right to the very top. I did a survey of the neighbourhood and found out that just about every house round here would have the same problem due to the height of the nearby trees - and it hasn't stopped them getting Sky...so why is it just us??

Thanks mate, that sounds great. Would it be OK to hold off on a proper reply as I have just escalated my complaint with Sky right to the very top. I did a survey of the neighbourhood and found out that just about every house round here would have the same problem due to the height of the nearby trees - and it hasn't stopped them getting Sky...so why is it just us??
Yeah of course no worries mate, as I said it's not doing anything in the wardrobe!

Hopefully you get it sorted, if not let me know. If you click on quote/reply to this message then I'll get a notification :thumbsup:

Anyway, I rang SKY, they offered SKY Q plus a mini for £20 including an engineer visit to change LNB.

I told them I can't take time off work for an engineer visit, so I want an ordinary SKY HD box.

They make appointments for seven days a week don't they?..... Or at worst six days a week.

But he doesn't want an appointment. He wanted an HD box.

Ok each to their own but you'll surely have to leave the old style Sky+ box eventually.

Don’t think they do new ones but they definitely take orders for reconditioned ones.

Told me I would be charged £10 every 6 months for insurance to cover call outs, the SKY Q is theirs indefinitely

That's a right con. It's one thing paying for the "extended warranty\insurance" for a box you own, even if most people agree that is still a rip off.

However paying for insurance on a box you don't own, the whole point was the owner, Sky covered it ... :(

Ok each to their own but you'll surely have to leave the old style Sky+ box eventually.

Yes at some point I'll have Q.
For now, with Panasonic 65" plasmas, with Freesat tuners in each, plus a separate Panasonic Freesat recorder I want to just self-install a SKY+HD box.
It also keeps the subscription costs down for now.
I don't have anything against Q, just putting it off for now. :cool:

Don’t think they do new ones but they definitely take orders for reconditioned ones.

The box I received is new so far as I can tell.
The packaging, and all the accessories are definitely new.
The box itself is completely unmarked.
Now it could be SKY replace the casework around 'old' internals, I don't know what they do, but the casework on this box is pristine, not something cleaned up.
By the way, I was offered a refurbished box for £30, a brand new 1TB box for £214, or brand new 2TB box for £314.
The box they sent appears to be a brand new 500GB box.

I should add, the initial £30 charge became £15 charge for postage and packing, which I had to pay by card. This was then credited back to my SKY account, making the box free.

They also refunded a £10 administration charge which I found I was charged when I checked my new monthly bill online.

That's a right con. It's one thing paying for the "extended warranty\insurance" for a box you own, even if most people agree that is still a rip off.

However paying for insurance on a box you don't own, the whole point was the owner, Sky covered it ... :(

Yes I agree with you.
Although it was waived during one of my phone calls. I believe they try to have customers agree to pay £10 per six months, but if meeting resistance it is waived.

Another point, is that I won't be ringing up again, my BT phone bill showed the two calls I made to SKY cost £9.45. The telephone number was not included in my BT call 'allowance'. Not suggesting SKY to blame for that.

Now I have successfully used SKY Chat multiple times since, to straighten out my subscription, that's the best way to sort things out for me in future.

It should be a 03xx number which should be included in you allowance ... ?

Yes I agree with you.
Although it was waived during one of my phone calls. I believe they try to have customers agree to pay £10 per six months, but if meeting resistance it is waived.

Another point, is that I won't be ringing up again, my BT phone bill showed the two calls I made to SKY cost £9.45. The telephone number was not included in my BT call 'allowance'. Not suggesting SKY to blame for that.

Now I have successfully used SKY Chat multiple times since, to straighten out my subscription, that's the best way to sort things out for me in future.
Who knows. Could be new could be good quality refurbished. I was due to receive what I thought was a ‘new’ box but turned out to be grade A reconditioned. Seems unlikely they are taking delivery of new sky+ boxes now they are being phased out.

I’m awaiting delivery of a 1tb sky+hd box which there sending me for free so they still have some boxes

It should be a 03xx number which should be included in you allowance ... ?

First number I rang was a box message 0844 2414141, a recorded message at SKY advised it would be cheaper to call 0344 2414141.

I hung up straight away and dialled the cheaper number.

First number is listed on BT statement as 'Service No' second number is described as 'Special Service'.

Apparently my call allowance is for unlimited evening and week-end calls. Turns out I first rang on a week-day afternoon. That's my fault really.

£9.45.

I’m awaiting delivery of a 1tb sky+hd box which there sending me for free so they still have some boxes

I was assured if I paid for 1TB or 2TB box they are brand new.

I've been contacted today with another SKY Q offer.

£20 installation including changing dish, SKY Q 2TB box + SKY Q Mini Box.
Keep my monthly payment the same at £37 monthly for same channels, plus add another £12 monthly for SKY Q Experience, total monthly £49.

I told them I had already been offered a silver 2tb SKY Q box, a Mini box, and 'free' engineer installation, no requirement to pay £10 every 6 months, and a reduced subscription for the same package down to £35.

They apologised they couldn't match that at the moment.

I told them that's fine I'm happy as I am thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom