1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are NAD and B&W a good match?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nazgul9, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Nazgul9

Nazgul9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ask since i'm about to buy one of the new NAD receivers (my current receiver is the Onkyo 595 but i want to upgrade), the T752 or T762, because i have heard good things about these receivers, especially for music reproduction (my main interest lies in home cinema but music is also important for me), and currently own B&W speakers (4xDM303 and LCR3 for center, but will soon upgrade them with the 600 series). I know, the best way would be to test it for myself but there are no stores in the vicinity with demo rooms, only small shops with little assortment. So what is the sound characteristic of NAD gear and what of B&W speakers? I read somewhere, if i recall correctly, that NAD is more warm sounding and B&W is a little on the bright sight - so it would be a good match, am i right? But recently i have read a review of an older NAD stereo amp (http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nad314e.html) and there the reviewer claims it sounded bright, so now i'm again in doubt if a NAD is the right choice for me, considering the speakers i have.

So could you please comment on the NAD - B&W combination and what do you generally think of the new NAD receivers?

2. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've only read specs, haven't heard anything about performance of those amps. Where did you hear this?

Personally, I think B&W has a very neutral tone, I have a pair of CDM7NTs and the best word I can find for them is 'analytical'. You hear what's on the CD, nothing more, nothing less.

NAD sounds powerful and bright to me, and therefor I didn't like the match with B&W (just auditioned some amps, including the NAD C160/C270, but went with Arcam A85).

3. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Different people has different ideas of what's consider bright or warmth. I have carefully compared a NAD C270 and a Rotel RB1070. The NAD is definitely warmer then the Rotel. So if you consider NAD bright, then definitely avoid rotel.

4. Nazgul9

Nazgul9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a german forum one user has bought this unit and is quite excited of it. He prefered it over the H/K 5500 and the Denon 3802 for example. And NAD amps are generally well known for it's sonic capabilities and very good price/performance ratio, so i concluded that their receivers have similar characteristics.

Hmm.., it's like every one has it's own opinion. Doesn't make my decision any easer. :(

Any more thoughts?

5. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If music are important, you might want to consider my options. Like you, music is very important so I opted for a Yamaha RXV630 AND a NAD C350. Hooking up is only slightly more completed. The sole dealer in my country told me that in music reproduction, the T761 cannot even compare to the C350. That sort of make up my decision.

6. GlennC

GlennC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi
    Sorry to hijack this thread but could you tell my how you have connected the two amps together:p

7. konghh

konghh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your Yamaha must have a pre-out. DVD to Yamaha. Yamaha pre-out to C350's VIDEO input. Speaker connected to C350. To watch movies, you have to switch on BOTH Yamaha & C350. Select VIDEO input on the C350. You will have to pre-calibrate the C350's volume knob (you only have to do it once and make a mark of it.)

To listen to music. DVD to C350's CD iput. No need to switch on the Yamaha.

Hope that helps.