Are my speakers blown or is it my amp.

clarky78

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a Marantz SR7010 and my main speakers are Amphion Argons 3S. Centre is MA Radius 225 and 45 rears. I recently added some Dali C-1 Atmos speakers and recently after that I was watching Ready Player One and during bass scenes my speakers now go 'whup' and it's like they are reaching full excursion, cones move massively. This happens at most volumes down to -45db on the amp. Now it happens any time there is low frequency.

But, if I listen in stereo it doesn't happen. I tried running frequency samples from 2hz upwards and nothing. There is a small crackle sometimes as the frequency changes..

What is it? I presumed my speakers blew, but they are fine for music. I'm thinking my amp can't cope, but it's still a decent av amp. If I added a sub the issue would probably dissapear, but the speakers are only 6 months old, and this happened at a low level so maybe they are warranty?

I would think a full factory reset is in order on the amp as something is wrong. Also check all the connection on each speaker in your system together with each one connected at the amp end. If the Amphion's are playing fine with music (2 channel mode), then that would say that its more than likely some issue with the amp outputting surround sound and this could cause damage to them.

For testing purposes, you could switch the Dali Speaker over with them to see if the same thing happens with the Dali's, if it does then it shows its an amp fault and not a speaker fault.

Also make sure you are running the latest firmware once you have carried out the factory reset :)

Last edited:
Didn't factory reset but did do a Audessy setup again and nothing changed. No new firmware, too old I guess. I could factory reset but it takes aaaages to configure all the inputs. Be easy with a decent app.

It maybe a pain, but its something that needs to be carried out by you to ensure firstly it is the amp and the setup hasn't upset itself. The other side is, if it is the Amp, sorting this out could reduce the issues of you damaging your speakers permanently if it happens again.

Just tried the Atmos Amaze demo which always does it in stereo only and still causing the whup and crackling. Think my new speakers are fudgeed.. not happy

Didn't factory reset but did do a Audessy setup again and nothing changed. No new firmware, too old I guess. I could factory reset but it takes aaaages to configure all the inputs. Be easy with a decent app.

If you have a PC/Laptop/Chromebook you can use the Web Control Function and Save/Load your setup configuration. It can be a little hit and miss sometimes though!

Controlling the unit from a web control SR7010

Are you using the same source? Try spotify within the amp or something like that, i.e. an entirely different source with a different input.

I can't imagine it's the speakers, they can't really make noises the amp isn't asking them to.

It won't if after you do a factory reset you then run the Setup Assistant which will walk you through the whole process. You must do a factory reset FIRST. Skirting round the issue and doing things that are easier and simpler will just take longer.

Are you using the same source? Try spotify within the amp or something like that, i.e. an entirely different source with a different input.

I can't imagine it's the speakers, they can't really make noises the amp isn't asking them to.

I have tired Spotify, Youtube via Xbox and TV Arc, and with Bluray and Netflix. Spotify doesn't cause it, but 2 channel music doesn't. I used Youtube to do a bass HZ test and that didn't seem to do it. XBOX Atmos app Amaze cause it terribly badly, as does anything there with the 'correct' frequency. The speakers are moving a huge amount, the whup is clearly full excursion, top out noise I think. The speakers have passive raidators instead of reflex ports, it could be something with the radiators, but don't see how as they are 'dumb' speakers.

I will try the reset, but I highly doubt it will help-

Turns out it is my right front channel only. What the hell can cause it to only be one channel popping, not speaker. It's been reset, no difference.

I have tired Spotify, Youtube via Xbox and TV Arc, and with Bluray and Netflix. Spotify doesn't cause it, but 2 channel music doesn't. I used Youtube to do a bass HZ test and that didn't seem to do it. XBOX Atmos app Amaze cause it terribly badly, as does anything there with the 'correct' frequency. The speakers are moving a huge amount, the whup is clearly full excursion, top out noise I think. The speakers have passive raidators instead of reflex ports, it could be something with the radiators, but don't see how as they are 'dumb' speakers.

I will try the reset, but I highly doubt it will help-
I have this issue with my denon. When listen to Spotify through the Xbox I get crackling noise. This is in stereo only and only thorough spotify

Here's a video showing what the problem is. My kid was watching monster university earlier and one scene with MUSIC caused the constant whopping. Nothing to do with subs, this is music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom