1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are my fronts letting me down?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kevin Harris, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Been thinking this trough for a while now but not been able to come up with the answer.

My fronts are Mission 753’s which have served me well now for well over 8 years but without listening to new speakers in my home environment I don’t think I would be able to compare these speakers easily, costing about £800 back when I got them these speakers ere part of the Mission Reference range but if you look at any of the reference ranges now the price’s are through the roof.

I have 2 reason as to why I want to upgrade 1 is looks (look like small Black coffin’s) and don’t really fit the new décor and the other is within the last 8 years speaker technology has progressed a lot and would like to know if I am missing anything by keeping them or would I have to look as this from an aesthetics angle only.

My question basically, does anyone else have experience with these speakers and would know if I would hear a great deal of difference if I upgraded or were these speakers ahead of their time?

I would like to keep within a budget of £800 for the pair if possible but if it pans out that I can only look on this from and aesthetical point of view and not sound performance then I might live with them and get busy with a paint brush.

Oh nearly forgot the speakers are mainly used for Home Cinema and Popular Music.

Cheers

Kevin

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    What are you using for partnering equipment?

3. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    I am familiar with the 753's and they were fantastic speakers, they still can hold their ground to budget speakers. Question is whether you want to 'match' all the speakers in your set up. I have the Mission Cinema 7 which is fantastic, perhaps look at Mission 782SE, or if you want to try another brand, look at B&W or KEF.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have six 753 s, no intention of swapping them while they keep going.
    If they have a drawback they could be accused of needing beefy amplifiers to shine at their best.
    I've heard them with a few of the best pre-pros at home in the last year or so, compared to what dealers used in their demos, nothing has made me feel 753 s are outdated.
    If you don't like their appearance that's fair enough. :)

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that you will find that speaker technology has moved a lot less than the magazines and manufacturers would have us believe.

My pair of 25 year old Rogers LS3/5A speakers are still providing sterling service for my son and even at that age will still fetch a reasonable sum on Ebay where they are sought after.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Disagree with you Ian. My brand new speakers have phased conduit optical streamlined quantum technology, allowing 300% of the audio signal through the cables, compared to your inferior speaker with primitive copper wire that sound like bongo-bongo drums. :p

7. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber22 - I have Pioneer AX10i with a Mission 70c2 center and 4 Kef Q85's for surrounds

Dean - If I was to change my 753's I know I would have to change the center but would live with what I had for a bit longer

gringottsdirect - 6 in 1 room ? - good to hear they still keep your ears happy. To be honest I liek the sound but without comparing them to the new speakers I just had a feeling I aint getting the full sound that i could.

Ian J - Thanks for the info - as you say the press wopuld have you belive that I am 8 years behind and then some.

8. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Kevin, maybe hang on to the 753's a bit longer, you can always buy the 'next' generation speaker next year...

9. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Quit while you're ahead ! :D

10. Kevin Harris

Kevin Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

Good to know the 753's are still up there.

All I have to do is live with the looks until it eats away at me some more.

11. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 753 as well! :D

10 years old and still going fine. Ignore jokes about mylar tweeters, stick a feckoff great big amp on them to make them sing. Bass isnt huge but they are great for dance and movies.

I have an active Infinty centre and 751 for the rear. I will be looking for a second set of 753 when I go EX.

Its the cabinet design that makes these work.... I have no intention of selling mine for the foreseable future.

12. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    if youve had the good sense to buy the ax10i:D then get the best fronts you can afford,i my q5's seem to suit the amp ok,this is a powerfull beast ,use it!...