1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are my Fav films coming out on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by loadsofleads, Jul 27, 2005.

1. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys, just thinking about which format my fave films will be coming out on, I'm on Blu-Ray's side but if most of my fav films are on HD-DVD, that would complicate matters, below is a list of the films I would HAVE to get in HD....

Terminator 2 = ? Got to get this, it the best film in the WORLD. :devil:
    LOTR = HD-DVD I think...
    Kill Bill 1&2 = ?
    Dark City = ?
    Matrix :blush: = HD-DVD
    Star Wars = ?
    The Good the Bad and the Ugly = Blu-Ray
    Spiderman 1&2 = Blu-Ray

.................................... :smashin:

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Columbia-Tristar (aka Sony Pictures) / MGM (owned by Sony) / Disney (including Miramax, Touchstone, Dimensionfilms) are in the Blu-Ray camp.

Warner/Universal are in the HD-DVD camp.
    Dreamworks might also be HD-DVD since they have close ties to universal.
    Fox have not commited to either.

Kill Bill 1 & 2 = Blu-Ray (Miramax is part of Disney)
    Dark City = HD-DVD (New Line is part of Warner)
    LOTR = HD-DVD (New Line is part of Warner)
    Sin City = Blu-Ray
    King Kong = HD-DVD
    Batman Begins = HD-DVD

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice, haven't seen this but it looks like a good'un, King Kong ain't getting me horny though :thumbsdow

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Taffy :hiya:

The best way around this HD-DVD and Blue Ray issue is to buy a pc combo dvd drive. Then you will have both formats in one box.

I cant wait for HD to arrive. I just wish it would hurry up. :lease:

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    If such a drive exists, and I'm sure it is a possibility (just as the same drive could be used in a Hybrid player - and Samsung have already postulated a dual drive player I believe) - you'd still have to buy a new video card with HDCP support. It is VERY unlikely that HD-DVD and BluRay player software will work at full resolution on a PC and deliver an analogue output via VGA or an unencrypted DVI output - the replayed video will be limited to HDCP outputs (and will require a card that support this)

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You could get around the lack fo a combi drive by purchasing two seperates, i.e. instead of having a DVDRW and DVD-ROM as many people do, have a BluRay/DVDRW and a HD DVD-ROM. Both of these will be available by Christmas (although it might be prudent to delay on BluRay until their are actually movies available).

It could be alot more than this. You may need Microsoft Windows Vista (Longhorn) to be able to play HD DVD/Bluray on your PC at all. BluRay isn't launching until end of 2006 and HD DVD isn't that far in advance. So it makes perfect sense to restrict playback to the new Operating System which has been built with data security and DRM foremost in mind.

The video card, as you say, is also a guaranteed upgrade - you'll need to get one that supports DVI-HDCP (or HDMI). Obviously everyone on here probably already has a compatible HDMI/DVI screen which they intend to pipe the High Def content to - but if you also want to access the material whilst sitting at your PC you'll also need a PC monitor with DVI (HDCP) input.

You also need hardware to support AACS - now whether you get something built into a video card or something that is, for example, an extra PCI card remains to be seen - given the extra cost it would pile onto the graphics cards I would expect to have to buy an extra PCI card (at least for the first few years).

And what about sound? If you want DD+, DTS-HD and MLP lossless you're going to need a new Soundcard - and odds are you'll have a very limited choice.

There are also lots of other rumours that may or may not affect us - will we need processors, hard disk drives and/or memory with DRM? Intel already has support for this in their latest chips so don't think this is "too far off" to be a possibility. An Internet (perhaps 'always on' when playing back the discs) is also a high probability! You may think that all this would be too restrictive, i.e. nobody would have a PC capable of playing HD DVD/BluRay, but that didn't stop the studios for DVD-Audio. And this is aimed at the same market! The first compatible PCs could be marketed by mid-2006 which fits in with high def video releases perfectly!

PCs introduced many people to DVD by a simple (and cheap) upgrade. They gave easy access to multi-region and could be easily hooked up to TVs. The same is not going to be true for High Definition video whether supplied on HD DVD or BluRay!

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    You know, they're going to have to decide which one format to back, otherwise someone with a Blu-Ray recorder is going to "unofficially" bring a lot of these films from HD-DVD onto Blu-Ray...

Surely all it takes is one of those DVI to Analog VGA converters that strips the HDCP out. Then either convert that back to unscrambled DVI/HDMI to input to a DVD recorder, or to Component to do the same.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    But that is where AACS works it's magic. If a copy is made via the analogue domain then will no longer have an ID code and thus won't play on your HD DVD/BluRay player or your PC.

If a copy is made that retains the ID then the co-ordinating body will simply ban that the ID code and no HD DVD player or BluRay will play it back. This 'banning' info will not only be delivered via the internet but, for non-connected devices (should they be allowed), it will be incoprporated in every single high def release that follows.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I have seen the combi drive (bleu ray and hd-dvd) on some webs sites and yes it was a samsung player.

I think there will be cracks for HDCP for a pc and even if there isn't I will invest in a new pc instead of a dedicated HD or Blue ray player. A pc connected to a HD display is great for loads of different applications. Plus you will always have the upgradability option as the technology inproves either by hardware or software.

As for the only os being abl to handle blue ray or HD I am guessing that this will not be the case and external software will provide what xp doesnt have or indeed microsoft will bring out an update. Either or I am looking forward to the next gen os.

:D

10. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All my HiDef films I play run & look fine through my PC (with the CPU not being pushed anywhere near its limits), going to a HiDef Projector via VGA cable. I can see no problem intergrating a BluRay/HD DVD player to a PC and it running fine. It should also be the cheapest option!! :thumbsup:

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    It's not a question of PC horsepower - it's question of making sure you PC is entirely AACS and HDCP compliant - which will require:

1) HDCP Compliant Graphics Card
    2) HD DVD-ROM Drive
    3) Microsoft Windows Vista
    4) HDCP High Definition compliant software DVD player
    5) AACS PCI Card (if not built into graphics card)
    6) Compatible Soundcard with MLP, DD+ and DTS-HD Lossless output/down-conversion (if not provided for by software DVD player)

...and may also require:

7) Processor with Digital Rights Management (DRM) protection built in
    8) Always on internet connection

Probably - but only for those who were planning to upgrade anyway! A new graphics card with HDCP will set you back £300 at least.

Microsoft and Toshiba are working closely on High Def video - it is extremely unlikely that XP will be allowed to support High Def AACS video when the new secuirty minded OS is just months away.

:rolleyes: But that is the point of AACS - even if cracked it will still provide protection. The AACS card/graphics card in conjunction with your software High Def HDCP compliant player will verify the ID of anything you play. If it's a pirate copy or does not conform to the allowed file structure given the disc ID it will not play. This can't be cracked because if it is the disc won't play as it checks the player is genuine first.

12. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So far NO movies have been announced for release outside the USA/Canada on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. You can guess which movies will appear on which formats, since some studios have committed to one or the other. HD-DVD has Warner/Universal/Paramount/Dreamworks and Microsoft as a partner. BluRay has Sony/MGM/Disney. Other than Spider-Man, I can't think of any Sony/Disney titles that I really want on BluRay.

Personally, I favour HD-DVD because it has better studio support and HD-DVD disks are physically more robust.

Technies will argue that BluRay has a higher layer capacity but that means that the tracks are are narrower than HD-DVD and more prone to read errors if the disk is scratched. BluRay was originally going to be housed in a caddy to prevent scratches but this idea was scrapped because it looked naff.

I'm guessing that both formats will look and sound superb and the layer capacity difference will make no difference to the picture and sound quality. BluRay disks won't use the total capacity for a movie anyway.

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Have to say I agree with that at present. BluRay looks nice on paper, but HD DVD looks the most promising of the two due to Studio Support.

14. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That can work, but the audio and video quality will not match a future Pioneer or Denon HD player imho. Since the introduction of the dvd I have done nothing but buy Pioneer dvd players, and I'm planning to buy a Pioneer Blu-Ray player when they come available :smashin:

15. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Blu Ray / HD DVD sounds expensive/complicated through a PC, but I really do think by the time these formats come out and are supported, they won't be so complex. Software support & price drops in hardware will make them like DVDs are today. Look at programs such as DVD decrypter, AC3 filter, the way you can download patches to make your DVD drive multi region! I may be trying to over simplyfy the matter but I do think that price drops and programmers will make the next generation of DVD media PC friendly!

16. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD movies are already here, if you know how to get them. and all this talk of a major upgrade to play the new format sounds far too involved.

if you know how you can get a reliable player on a powerful pc running dvi-hdmi out into a hd ready screen. with full dd5.1.

at this moment in time there are only a few major releases like i robot, bruce almighty, LOTR etc but bytime hd-dvd / blu ray is released most big films will be accessable for a 10-20 gig d/l.

i know piracy is wrong, but i know what choice id make. microsoft and sony are making it far too hard a transition, and unfortunately the only way to go is the route i take.

17. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    When DVD was first launched the players cost a bleeding fortune. As the Movie Studios hate the way that DVD has been so easily pirated by the masses & as they hold all the power in this equation surely they should be encouraging us to upgrade asap. They could do this by :

Price the new Hi Def Films cheaper than DVD's

Ensuring there is no format war

Encourage some cheap hardware (Sony already doing this with BR?)

Lay some rules down concerning quality e.g. minimum standards to
    ensure all transfers are superb & clearly a step up from DVD

What do you reckon ?

:smashin:

18. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Price the new Hi Def Films cheaper than DVD's

Nice idea but that proposal would make the CEO of Sony and Toshiba cough on their sushi...

Ensuring there is no format war

Too late...

Encourage some cheap hardware (Sony already doing this with BR?)

See answer 1..

Lay some rules down concerning quality e.g. minimum standards to
    ensure all transfers are superb & clearly a step up from DVD

Very good idea, lets hope..

Is it me or have we been waiting for HD for the last 100 years :rotfl:

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I don't think the PS3 is necessarily going to be a cheap way into High def. It's price is still TBA but there are already comments being made that it's not going to dirt cheap. There are likely to be BluRay and HD DVD players available for less than the cost of PS3.

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I think xbox's decision not to use HD-DVD drives in their xbox 360's could effect the ballance of power between HD-DVD and Blue Ray. :rolleyes:

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Further to what I was saying (above) this article has now surfaced:

Microsoft Ends DVD Piracy For Good (With Vista)

22. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I just wish they'd hurry up and launch so I don't buy anymore DVDs :D

23. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    fox have officially gone with blu-ray! i really do hope a dual format player emerges! and 2nd generation etc players hold back a few years :mad:

so u can now add to the bluray lists
    star wars
    alien/s
    true lies
    moulin rouge(should look and sound great!)
    ice age 1+2
    predator

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

I agree. I cant help buying dvd's even though I know HD is around the corner. :D

25. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    were does my HD video camera fit into all this? if that doesnt have AACS and i wanna play it on my spankin new bluray/hd-dvd player hows it gonna work?

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    All blank media will have a dedicated ID code pre-recorded onto the disc before you buy it. Furthermore a programme ID will be noted when you 'author' your project either on a CE recorder or through one of the licenced PC software programmes. Thus if your project turns out to be illegal it can be banned either by media code or programme code.

Home recordings/self authored programmes are likely to be forced to use a different file structure (probably -VR) than the commercial produced discs - the players will not be able to play a commercial structure off a write-once or rewriteable disc. Or at least that is what is being proposed...

27. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Presumably there will have to be a second type of re-writable or write-once disc to allow for commercial mastering techniques to be used for short runs, or testing prior to full mastering?

(AIUI this is the case already with DVD)

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    I'm sure this has been considered - but I have no idea what provisions may, or may not, have been made for this.

29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The last thing I want is another compromised combi player, I want ONE FORMAT only. It will be cheaper and better for everyone.

30. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yes - but at least BluRay and HD-DVD are mechanically compatible formats (unlike VHS and Beta - where the tape went in opposite directions meaning a combined VCR was never likely...) - even if the optical systems are different. (It isn't as bad as DCC vs MiniDisc vs CD-R vs DAT)