1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Muti Region DVD's in English

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by soni, Jan 17, 2005.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys, just got a Denon 2910 DVD player to go with my new Tosh DLP TV.

I paid for it to be moded to read Multi Region DVD's, and due to not owning a Multi Region before, want to know if the Multi Region DVD's will be in English or not? Also, any ideas on best/cheapest sites to look at for DVD's, and also any decent films out with good special effects to test the TV?

2. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    In short most multi region dvd's have english language or subtitles although this depends on what the films original language is and where the film is from.

R1 DVD's are USA and Canada - so if the film was made in english language it will be on the dvd and the packaging will be in english (although some Canadian releases have dual french/english packaging). If its a foreign language film, there will be English subtitles (or maybe dubbed english).

R2 UK so OK

R3 Far east/Asia - here you will get english language films in Chinese/Japanese packaging, usually menu's etc are easy to follow, and sometimes are in english. Far eastern language films usually have subtitles in english.

R4 Australia - so usually in english.

Most of the recomended DVD retailers in the sticky at the top will give an indication of whats on the dvd - i.e. what language audio and subtitles etc. So you can usually figure it out.

A few I have used are dvdsoon for R1 disks, cd-wow for R2 and R3 disks although most of the good retailers are in the stick above.

I'm sure I'll be corrected on the technical detail above but like I say - the dvd description will tell you what you need.

3. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lee789: Thanks for your reply, i'm off to find a site to order from!!! I'm also after some decent 'Superbit' titles!!

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There is no relationship between the region code, TV system (PAL/NTSC) and the language(s) used on DVDs.
    The same goes for DVDs without region coding (aka multiregion DVDs). :lesson:

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Soni,

Lee789 said:

6. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I stand corrected on the technical detail :blush: .

However, in answer to your question, in my experience, multi region dvd's generally do have some form of english on them whether spoken language or subtitles, as I said as an over-rider make sure you read the dvd description. Its that simple :) .

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for clarifying Pooch

No worries Lee, i'm COMPLETELY clueless about it all at the moment!

One other question, as i said i've got the Denon 2910 Multiregioned (in-store) does that mean i can purchase ANY Superbit title, from ANY country, are their any limitations?

8. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A multi region player should play any disk irrespective of region coding.

My understanding (in my monkey language) is the first bit of coding on a dvd is the region number. An unmodified player looks at this and if it is programmed to play 2's only it won't play anything else. By multi regioning a player, it effectively ignores the region coding altogether, so should play anything.

So you should be able to play any of the 1-9 regions no problem and I've certainly had no problems with my dvd players (yamaha 795 replaced with pioneer 565).

Read this (if you've got a week spare!) it has everything you could want to know.

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

9. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Lee - Very Informative - Definately Bathroom Reading Material!!